Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Mazda 6. I've had no problems with it until today. When I try to start my car, 8 put my foot on the brake, press the ignition button and it clicks, all the lights turn on and won't start up. then I see 2 warning messages flash.

"Brake inspection required" and " keyless system inspection required"

The brake pedal is very tight and steering wheel is also very tight.

I'm hoping maybe my key needs a new battery?

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
Well, to my knowledge, problems with the brakes shouldn't cause issue starting, so we can rule that out for now.

Keyless system inspection could be anything from the receiver in the car to the key fob itself. Some things to try:

Take your key, hold it really close, almost touching the start button, and push the start button (while holding the brake) using your finger (as not to scratch). This should start the car if it's a dead fob battery, which it may well be, being a 2014.
Your battery might be dead too. Does the starter chugga chugga chug at all? If it barely chugs, then quits with a pssh sound, then it's likely battery.
Is your fuel pump ticking? It should be, as it should be audible to you.
I highly doubt it's spark plugs, but you never know.

I'd go down that list and see if you can get it to start.

The brake pedal is tight because the car isn't running. Steering wheel is tight because the car isn't running, and it may even be locked.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The car does not chug at all when trying to start. Just clicks and the ignition button goes from green to amber color.

I tried to put the key close to the button when pressing but that didn't seem to work either. I'm at the hospital waiting for my baby to be born, so I'll go try these things again soon. It feels like some kind of anti theft feature is activated on my car, which I'm sure it's not . Just how it feels.

·
Premium Member
575 Posts
If it's clicking, does it sound like relays are ticking? Further, when the ignition button goes from green to amber, that usually means the car is "on" but not ready to be started. When you put your foot on the brake far enough, it should light up green. That's strange though. Let us know what else you find out, and congratulations on the little one.

·
Super Moderator
17,099 Posts
Thanks for the reply. The car does not chug at all when trying to start. Just clicks and the ignition button goes from green to amber color.

I tried to put the key close to the button when pressing but that didn't seem to work either. I'm at the hospital waiting for my baby to be born, so I'll go try these things again soon. It feels like some kind of anti theft feature is activated on my car, which I'm sure it's not . Just how it feels.
First: Congratulations!

Second: From what you're describing (except the brakes) I feel like it's definitely your car battery. The steering in these cars is fully electronic, so it would make sense that not only is the car not turning over, but the wheel can't be moved (easily) without the battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I have the same issues this morning. Mazda 6, 2014, "Brake inspection required" and " keyless system inspection required" .
I tried to start with both keys, with close proximity key to start button... But no success...
How did you solve your problem?

Regards

·
Registered
217 Posts
First: Congratulations!

Second: From what you're describing (except the brakes) I feel like it's definitely your car battery. The steering in these cars is fully electronic, so it would make sense that not only is the car not turning over, but the wheel can't be moved (easily) without the battery.

Second on the Congrats!

& I agree it also sounds like a battery issue. Whats the mileage on your 6?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Second on the Congrats!

& I agree it also sounds like a battery issue. Whats the mileage on your 6?
My Mazda 6 is 2014 with ~112000km. It is 2.0 petrol with 143HP.
I hurry on my job, so I leave it in garage. After my job, I will measure battery voltage, check is some light stay turned on, and try to charge battery.
Battery is not changed so far, so it is ~5years old, so I hope it is the only issue.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It was battery. I am only confused why above errors were displayed, and not some error which say battery dead.
Typically when a car does a clicking noise it's usually due to the Starter not having enough juice from the battery to turn it over so it'll just continuously click, That's always been my case when my battery was too low to turn the car over. Now regarding to the code you were getting, that's a different story I wouldn't know on that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me today with my 2014 CX5. It ended up being a drained battery, I just had some dirty terminals. I had to disconnect the battery for 15 minute to get the computer to reset. Then I was able to jump it. I then charged the battery and had it tested, the battery was fine. So hope that helps someone. I'm not sure why we can't get a simpler error message stating that the battery voltage is low. Instead of the freak out messages of "Brake inspection required" and "Keyless system inspection required"

My 2001 Protege was this way too, whenever it had a simple electrical issue, it'd would lose its mind.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a symptom of the many computers that are used in today's cars. They are needed to control the engine and other systems to get compliance with the government
mandates for fuel efficiency and emissions. If the computers do not get sufficient voltage/current to operate, they do the 'Danger Will Robinson' routine and
shut things down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts