Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched all the auto parts stores online for in-store pickup and I can't find anyone that has a 75w90 GL-4 gear oil available. Is it really that difficult to find oil for a manual transmission drain and re-fill? Someone on this site told me it wasn't worth the expense of buying Red Line MT-90 for a 6i, but it appears there aren't any non-synthetic oils available that are GL-4, and even some of the synthetics I'm seeing are GL-5, not GL-4, so I can't use those (Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.).

Any tips? What do you guys buy and, more importantly, where? :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
To find a local joint that supplies that honey is rare. try this lube:
Neo Synthetic or buy it online here:Liquid Gold I used '75W90RHD'
It's really really expensive, close to rape...[attachment=45104:sheepshagger.gif]
but I love it! Have it in my 03 i for 30k.
Maybe you didn't want something on-line, but I can't help you there.
If you havean O'reilly auto parts try it. I have always been shocked with the things they stock, over like advanced.
Good luck man.

------------------

Attachments

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (05 6i @ Feb 21 2010, 10:24 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638571
I have searched all the auto parts stores online for in-store pickup and I can't find anyone that has a 75w90 GL-4 gear oil available. Is it really that difficult to find oil for a manual transmission drain and re-fill? Someone on this site told me it wasn't worth the expense of buying Red Line MT-90 for a 6i, but it appears there aren't any non-synthetic oils available that are GL-4, and even some of the synthetics I'm seeing are GL-5, not GL-4, so I can't use those (Mobil 1, Castrol, etc.).

Any tips? What do you guys buy and, more importantly, where? :)[/b]

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx Try there, that was the first link in a GOOGLE SEARCH,lol

B

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Feb 21 2010, 06:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638632
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/mtg.aspx Try there, that was the first link in a GOOGLE SEARCH,lol

B[/b]
Thanks for breaking my...chops, but let me point out that I did say "local" and "non-synthetic." I know it's possible to buy Red Line or Amsoil synthetic, I was looking for a standard oil because another member here said it wasn't worth paying for synthetic. I do know how to use Google. :huh:

QUOTE (TheSkater @ Feb 21 2010, 05:43 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638626
To find a local joint that supplies that honey is rare. try this lube:
Neo Synthetic or buy it online here:Liquid Gold I used '75W90RHD'
It's really really expensive, close to rape...[attachment=45104:sheepshagger.gif]
but I love it! Have it in my 03 i for 30k.
Maybe you didn't want something on-line, but I can't help you there.
If you havean O'reilly auto parts try it. I have always been shocked with the things they stock, over like advanced.
Good luck man.

------------------
[/b]
Actually, O'Reilly is where I went today to replace my air filter and cabin air filter. They had Royal Purple 75w90 (GL-5), but no 75w90 GL-4 oil. At this point, I think I'm going to have to go with Red Line due to lack of other options!

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (05 6i @ Feb 21 2010, 11:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638659
Thanks for breaking my...chops, but let me point out that I did say "local" and "non-synthetic." I know it's possible to buy Red Line or Amsoil synthetic, I was looking for a standard oil because another member here said it wasn't worth paying for synthetic. I do know how to use Google. :huh:

Actually, O'Reilly is where I went today to replace my air filter and cabin air filter. They had Royal Purple 75w90 (GL-5), but no 75w90 GL-4 oil. At this point, I think I'm going to have to go with Red Line due to lack of other options![/b]

OK my apologies, was just havin some fun. While were on topic, what makes this your choice over some of the name brand synthetics? Is there something special about it over others? My mtx is on 57k and I have been noticing it doesnt feel as soft during shifting, a lil more hardness to it almost. Thinking maybe this is something I should look into.

B

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (JerseyBoy357 @ Feb 21 2010, 10:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1638661
OK my apologies, was just havin some fun. While were on topic, what makes this your choice over some of the name brand synthetics? Is there something special about it over others? My mtx is on 57k and I have been noticing it doesnt feel as soft during shifting, a lil more hardness to it almost. Thinking maybe this is something I should look into.

B[/b]
For me, it's availability on short notice. :) There's a Red Line dealer about 10 minutes away, so I know I can get it prior to my shop appointment on Thursday. From what I've read here, I think I'd prefer Neo but there's only one dealer online (all the rest are only in California), so I wasn't confident I'd get it in time, plus I was still holding out hope for a less expensive standard oil.

I wouldn't take my decision as advice, in other words! ;) Had I spent more time on it and had more lead time before the changeover, I probably would have bought Neo or would have learned more about Amsoil. I've read mixed comments about Red Line, but nothing outright negative. For negative comments on synthetic gear oil, read about Royal Purple...and stay away!

I hope that helps somewhat. I'll try to remember to post back after I get the oil changed on Thursday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
3 Participants
rworrell
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing