Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Mazda 6S. - 3.0 V6 with 6 speed auto trans.

I replaced the motor mounts with aftermarket ones on Amazon, and they are terrible. They are too weak and have already worn out within 2,000 miles.

I also tried swapping the rear mount with one from Autozone, and it was even worst!! (I think it was duralast) The whole motor would slam when putting it in drive & reverse, so I took it back and put the Amazon one back in. The autozone mount was so bad that I could twist the rubber by hand.

I tried ordering OEM mounts from two different vendors. I place the order and then they e-mail me back stating the mounts are not available and are no longer being produced.

What do I do? Where can I buy motor mounts that are good? There must be a solution here…

Thanks!

· Registered
7,852 Posts
Rockauto? Fill the old ones with epoxy?

· Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,625 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 2006 Mazda 6S. - 3.0 V6 with 6 speed auto trans.

I replaced the motor mounts with aftermarket ones on Amazon, and they are terrible. They are too weak and have already worn out within 2,000 miles.

I also tried swapping the rear mount with one from Autozone, and it was even worst!! (I think it was duralast) The whole motor would slam when putting it in drive & reverse, so I took it back and put the Amazon one back in. The autozone mount was so bad that I could twist the rubber by hand.

I tried ordering OEM mounts from two different vendors. I place the order and then they e-mail me back stating the mounts are not available and are no longer being produced.

What do I do? Where can I buy motor mounts that are good? There must be a solution here…

Thanks!
Hello. Yes, these mounts are engineered for comfort and are quite pliable. It sounds like you replaced all of them at the same time and that is a good thing. Frequently people will only replace one bad mount. The other two bad mounts will allow excessive movement that causes the new mount to fail prematurely.

For my automatic 5-speed I had to go factory for the trans mount, none of the aftermarket would fit. The drivers side and lower mounts are aftermarket.
I have been replacing the lower mount every 8K-12K miles when it tears through. My solution this time was to fill the gaps with urethane like @TalonTsi90 was referring to.
I used 3M™ Windo-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane which seems to fall pretty close to the duro rating of the OEM rubber. Being an automatic I did not was the high durometer ratings of some of the aftermarket "dogbone" mounts. It has increased the vibration slightly but it is completely acceptable for my middle-aged self.
If you do go this route and decide to fill the trans mount as well I would only do so with it mounted in the car and weighted.
When I installed my trans mount it sat so much higher the the old one it caused my exhaust to vibrate against the center tunnel if I was trying to reverse uphill. it has since settled down. I do not have any other mount holes filled beyond the lower "dogbone".
I'll put some pics below for you to see.

Motor vehicle Wood Gas Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rockauto? Fill the old ones with epoxy?
Are the rock auto ones any good? I’m just worried I’ll buy junk ones again, so was wondering if anyone has bought any that were good, and where they bought them from.

I think the main mount that is failing with these aftermarket ones is the torque mount (Dog mount, rear mount, or AKA trans mount)

I found this mount which appears to be very high end, I might just buy this one. Engine Mount - Lower Motor Mount - A/T for Mazda6 2006-2008, v6 automatic transmission

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello. Yes, these mounts are engineered for comfort and are quite pliable. It sounds like you replaced all of them at the same time and that is a good thing. Frequently people will only replace one bad mount. The other two bad mounts will allow excessive movement that causes the new mount to fail prematurely.

For my automatic 5-speed I had to go factory for the trans mount, none of the aftermarket would fit. The drivers side and lower mounts are aftermarket.
I have been replacing the lower mount every 8K-12K miles when it tears through. My solution this time was to fill the gaps with urethane like @TalonTsi90 was referring to.
I used 3M™ Windo-Weld™ Super Fast Urethane which seems to fall pretty close to the duro rating of the OEM rubber. Being an automatic I did not was the high durometer ratings of some of the aftermarket "dogbone" mounts. It has increased the vibration slightly but it is completely acceptable for my middle-aged self.
If you do go this route and decide to fill the trans mount as well I would only do so with it mounted in the car and weighted.
When I installed my trans mount it sat so much higher the the old one it caused my exhaust to vibrate against the center tunnel if I was trying to reverse uphill. it has since settled down. I do not have any other mount holes filled beyond the lower "dogbone".
I'll put some pics below for you to see.

View attachment 244768

View attachment 244769
Ah, so I see you’ve encountered the same issue as me. See my reply above this one. I am under the same understanding as you that the aftermarket torque mount is the one that is not strong enough, and the other two are mostly Ok.

I found this one which seems to be very high quality. I think I’ll buy it and swap it out. What do you think?

· Registered
264 Posts
I have the AWR ones. I replaced my originals twice in 100k miles. I can't say the aftermarket rock auto ones were really any better than the stock ones blown out. The AWR's are great IMO. A little more vibration and noise at idle but otherwise invisible. After installing them it was the first time my engine didn't clunk on hard shifts(manual trans). Only real downside is delivery took about 6 weeks as they are made to order.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.