Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Figured I might as well make a proper build thread in this section where it belongs :p

My cars a 2004 Mazda 6 Wagon Atx, current mods as of Jan 08 14 are:
Engine

MSDS headers and catless y pipe
Injen Intake
CPE Maf Customizer
Injen Catback Exhaust
3.7 Optimized Throttle Body
Throttle Body coolant bypass
EGR Mod
Accel 4v Mustang Cobra Coils

Suspension / Exterior
Tein S.Tech springs
Plasti dipped sport grill
Door guards removed

Currently

Winter Mode

When I first picked it up with only 75,000km on the clock

My first "mod" some 6club decals

Then I got bit with the modding bug, got myself an injen intake and a set of MSDS headers which I installed with some buddies in the parking lot of my baracks

The bolts were so rusty we had to end up cutting of the old y pipe with a dremel, a buddy of mine doing the work while I take pictures :p

After that I picked away with a few small things, bought a guage pod (that I still haven't installed) a sport grill which I plasti dipped black and painted my engine cover

S.Techs came shortly after thanks to my gf couldn't have asked for a better birthday present. I don't miss the 4×4 look

The next day I went to work on the door guards, I can't believe how much better our cars look with them off!

Very recently I finally found an Injen exhaust for a good price so I couldn't resist, I'm loving the sound and am actually getting some puzzled looks from people when I'm driving around now. And that brings us to current time, I'm waiting on a 3.7 OTB that should be here fairly soon. Plans for the future include buying a fusion motor and slowly building it up with my dad with forged internals, high compression pistons, ported upper and lower intakes and head work to start off. The future looks bright!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are doing a great job with the wagon so far man!! Keep up the great work :thumbup:

When are the wheels coming? ;)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Thanks man! Means alot :) and I'm not really sure lol I want to get some but at the same time I really want to build up a forged motor , decisions decisions haha

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@Canadian6 I noticed that you have mud guards at all four wheels. Are those OEM?

My wagon only has them on the front, but I want them on the back too. There look like there are holes in the bumper to install some...

I'm not 100% sure but I think they're OEM, they were on the car when I bought it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
No real updates on the build, just decided to mess around with my new camera and a trial version of photoshop. I still have no idea what any of the buttons do or what the numbers I'm changing mean with this thing so half the pictures were garbage, I did end up with a few not bad ones, sadly all taken from the exact same spot just with different settings lol. Thought I'd show them anyway!

I actually really like this one with no color

after looking at all these it just makes me want to get wheels even more....They might just be at the top of my list.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my throttle body installed today! And if you're even slightly considering this mod go get it now lol. The power change down low is very noticeable and the torque increase feels very substantial, up top the car really keeps pulling, plus you can really hear the CAI sucking now too. Went for a drive and had quite afew people turning their heads trying to figure out where the sound of it and the exhaust were coming from, most looking right passed my car haha.
You can really see the difference in the two here

·
Registered
316 Posts
Got my throttle body installed today! And if you're even slightly considering this mod go get it now lol. The power change down low is very noticeable and the torque increase feels very substantial, up top the car really keeps pulling, plus you can really hear the CAI sucking now too. Went for a drive and had quite afew people turning their heads trying to figure out where the sound of it and the exhaust were coming from, most looking right passed my car haha.
You can really see the difference in the two here

That's awesome! Most people look right past the wagon...

Is the 3.7 TB a direct bolt on? How much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing? I have the stock airbox, btw.

Keep up the great work! I love seeing what you do to your car. Very tasteful.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That's awesome! Most people look right past the wagon...

Is the 3.7 TB a direct bolt on? How much did it cost, if you don't mind sharing? I have the stock airbox, btw.

Keep up the great work! I love seeing what you do to your car. Very tasteful.

Thanks for the kind words! Yes the 3.7 is a direct bolt on you just need to rotate it 180° for clearance, but also keep in mind that the diameter of the stock opening and the 3.7 are different so a stock airbox accordion tube will not fit. I have the injen intake which is a 3" intake so I was able to stretch the rubber coupler over the 3.7 opening. And you can buy the entire kit with the optimized throttle body, tapered spacer, spacer gasket, coupler, and longer bolts to compensate for the spacer for $398 at Cordova Motorsport's website, but I got mine on here for around half that without the coupler.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update time!! I've got some very nice parts on the way here that I'm very excited for! Actually getting two at once this time that really go together that I finally was able to find for a good price. I'll keep everyone guessing for now with just this bit of info, they'll compliment my already done mods very well :D

·
Registered
128 Posts
Need vid of injen exhaust with your other mods please! I hope she's treating you well:thumbup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Need vid of injen exhaust with your other mods please! I hope she's treating you well:thumbup:

I will definitely try and get one up soon, I've only been home for a combined 10 or so days in the past 4 months so I haven't had much time to do anything haha, I just got back today from a week away for work. And she's treating me amazingly well, I love it and couldn't be happier I get nothing but compliments about it, thanks again!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I'm just gonna come out and say what I got haha, a real Injen intake and a CPE Maf Customizer, after over a year of searching I finally found one at a good price! The pair was such a good price I didn't bother asking to separate them...So if anyone wants the Injen copy intake thats on my car now for dirt cheap let me know lol :p
Picture Time!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got a video of the exhaust! Was out looking at a car for my sister and since the car was warmed up thought I'd get her to record it. The video doesn't really do the exhaust justice, it's so throaty at idle (which you can kind of hear if you turn it up) and throughout the power band. I'll try to get a video of me driving with my GoPro in the near future as well. Not really sure how to post videos so here's the youtube link for now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpaMyPeN6pM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

·
Registered
128 Posts
Wow that sounds amazing! More throaty than i remember. I'm guessing that's due to the headers?

once you add that intake you're going to cream yourself! I know I did!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks! And I wouldn't doubt that the headers have something to do with it, they made quite the difference in the stock exhaust.
Wow that sounds amazing! More throaty than i remember. I'm guessing that's due to the headers?

once you add that intake you're going to cream yourself! I know I did!

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks very good, I like!!! How was it installing those headers? How long??

Thanks for the kind words, the header installation wasn't too bad, I did mine with just a ratchet set and one powerbar with the car up on jackstands. I picked away at it a few hours a day while I was at work so it took me quite awhile. But with proper tools and working on it constantly I could see it being done in a day, sooner if you have access to a hoist.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts