Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the steering wheel on the 2017 looks so much more comfortable. Would it be difficult to put that on the 2016, and still have all the controls work?

I guess the big hurdle would be the airbag, anyone know if the original airbag would still work and connect the same way?

How hard would it be to do this swap?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yes 2014-18 are swappable, just make sure all the buttons from the 2017 remained and it's literally just swapping steering wheels..

Working on getting this guy right here as soon as I can..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, just make sure all the buttons from the 2017 remained and it's literally just swapping steering wheels..

Therein lies the problem; the buttons from the 2016 will not physically fit into the 2017 steering wheel, so somehow I'd need to adapt the car to use the new control layout and I'm trying to figure out if/how that could be done.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Therein lies the problem; the buttons from the 2016 will not physically fit into the 2017 steering wheel, so somehow I'd need to adapt the car to use the new control layout and I'm trying to figure out if/how that could be done.
No controls are still in the same positions, just the styling of of them are different, the rounded shape of the '16 buttons will not fit in the new steering wheel with the angular buttons.

Rounded edge buttons '16 model.

'17+ Angular buttons.

Just find a complete '17+ steering wheel with the same trim level buttons as your 2016 model and easily swap, it's literally disconnect a few wires for the buttons and air bag and a bolt that holds the steering wheel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No controls are still in the same positions, just the styling of of them are different, the rounded shape of the '16 buttons will not fit in the new steering wheel with the angular buttons.

Rounded edge buttons '16 model.

'17+ Angular buttons.

Just find a complete '17+ steering wheels and easily swap, it's literally disconnect a few wires for the buttons and air bag and a bolt that holds the steering wheel.
So what you're saying is that the new steering wheel is just plug and play as far as the controls go? You can unplug the old one and that same plug will fit into the new one?

·
Registered
736 Posts
This what button modules look like when you remove them from the steering wheel.. modular pieces.

Steering wheel is held on by one bolt and it's straight forward lining it back up, no way to mess that part up..

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Yes 2014-18 are swappable, just make sure all the buttons from the 2017 remained and it's literally just swapping steering wheels..

Hmmm can you point to who is selling the carbon fibre wheel? Also is it compatible with heating?

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
736 Posts
So what you're saying is that the new steering wheel is just plug and play as far as the controls go? You can unplug the old one and that same plug will fit into the new one?
Yes, Plug and play, just make sure the new steering wheel has the same buttons callouts from your trim level, you don't want any extra buttons for something you may not have feature wise on your car.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Check this video on how to remove the airbag and buttons on steering wheel, disregard the other stuff after it, the guy is installing cruise control on the car that did not come with it. Unbolt bolt on steering and pull up and reverse order when done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yes, Plug and play, just make sure the new steering wheel has the same buttons callouts from your trim level, you don't want any extra buttons for something you may not have feature wise on your car.
Just following up. I’m also interested in swapping a 17’ steering wheel onto my 16’ Mazda 6 GT. Would my airbag still fit with the 17’ steering wheel?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts