Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around and in Canada it seems you can buy a GT with a stick! Why don't we have this here in the states. But can you Import a brand new car from Canada to the US? Cause if you can I want that car.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
560 Posts
U cannot factory order any more... i.e. only '18 model year factory orders can now b submitted in general. Not sure if Mazda Canada website now shows '18's are actually out. I would wager as well that new old stock 17.5's and earlier GT's with 6MT's are incredibly rare. BTW in Canada, Sports are GX models, Tourings are GS's, GT's are GT's...

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
I do not believe so as despite being "basically the same car" I suspect there is some certification issue involved and registering the vehicle may be impossible. Further, there's probably a warranty problem to be aware of.

But, it MIGHT be possible. Maybe -- without having to prove it meets FMVSS (which means crash-testing multiple copies, etc.)

·
Registered
941 Posts
Canadian cars have Canadian warranties, not advisable to do it. I know guys that import US trucks into Canada and they make good money doing it since trucks are crazy expensive up here. They are dealers and they know which models to import and which to pass on.

Importing a car is always a crap shoot, better off checking the US customs website for better info. Also, if you call them they will give you whatever info you request. The problem comes in getting Mazda Canada to talk to you outside Canada.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The Canadian standards are compatible with the USA with us having Daytime Running lights as an extra. The warranties would probably be an issue but can't say for sure on the USA side. Due to the lower prices in the USA the last few times our dollar was high (Par) many Canadians were buying in the USA and bringing the vehicles north, to counter that importing the Canadian dealers would not perform any warranty work on those vehicles. I do know that lots of CDN used vehicles head south due to the high USD making them seem cheaper.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Mazda Canada will not honor warranty for US cars.

Mazda US will not honor warranty for Canadian cars.

I know people that traveled to the US with their brand new Mazda and had problems and they could not get a US dealer to touch it without paying for the repair and then seeking reimbursment from Mazda Canada when they got home. It is not the dealers denying warranty work, it is Mazda denying it and they will not reimburse the dealers so the dealers will not do the work under warranty. They have no legal obligation to do the work as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was looking around and in Canada it seems you can buy a GT with a stick! Why don't we have this here in the states. But can you Import a brand new car from Canada to the US? Cause if you can I want that car.

the mazda 6 gt manual in Canada is just like a loaded manual transmission touring version in the states
when you buy a manual 6gt here in Canada all those tech options are not available when you select 6speed manual
so no regenerative braking, lane departure, radar cruise control, satellite radio etc

the only difference in Canada between manual GT trim and the lower trim level is 19" wheels, bose 11speaker audio, homelink mirror and moonroof
unless you buy a GT automatic then you can get all the tech stuff but that can be had where you live
sorry no such unicorn as a 6GT manual transmission with all the tech trimmings here in Canada

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the mazda 6 gt manual in Canada is just like a loaded manual transmission touring version in the states
when you buy a manual 6gt here in Canada all those tech options are not available when you select 6speed manual
so no regenerative braking, lane departure, radar cruise control, satellite radio etc

the only difference in Canada between manual GT trim and the lower trim level is 19" wheels, bose 11speaker audio, homelink mirror and moonroof
unless you buy a GT automatic then you can get all the tech stuff but that can be had where you live
sorry no such unicorn as a 6GT manual transmission with all the tech trimmings here in Canada
Damn that sucks I thought I stumbled onto something that was my ticket to a fun fully loaded manuel sport sedan. Well without some of the sport.

·
Registered
69 Posts
As someone who used to sell Mazda's in Canada. Bringing a car in from across the border always trashed your trade in value on that side of the border. I would double check about the warranty being honored though with your local dealer. It's been awhile since I have sold and I can't remember if it actually was an issue or not to be warranty covered, but it definitely would have been more of a headache to post a claim.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
8 Participants
Timer
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing