Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked through the manual, menus on the unit itself and did a quick search here on the forum but have not found anything that shows me how to get it to display current speed. Anyone know if it can? If so, how?

Thanks!

EDIT - I ask as one of my buddies says that OEM speedos become increasingly innaccurate as you get up over 100mph due to tire deformation/expansion due to high rotation speeds...

·
Registered
97 Posts
I looked through the manual, menus on the unit itself and did a quick search here on the forum but have not found anything that shows me how to get it to display current speed. Anyone know if it can? If so, how?

Thanks!

EDIT - I ask as one of my buddies says that OEM speedos become increasingly innaccurate as you get up over 100mph due to tire deformation/expansion due to high rotation speeds...
[/b]
yes it can, if forget the key sequence to do it though, i found it in a thread about hidden features.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes it can, if forget the key sequence to do it though, i found it in a thread about hidden features.
[/b]
Cool, I'll search on hidden features and see if I can find it. Thanks!

PS If anyone knows the sequence offhand, post here please :)

·
Registered
288 Posts

Thanks!

[/b]
I don't have the factory Nav, but I do have a Lowrance iWay 500c I switch between 3 different vehicles. On the other two vehicles the speedo and the GPS are DEAD on as far as speed goes.

In my Speed6 the speedometer in the car and the speed on my GPS is off by as much as 3-4 mph. So when my car's speedometer says like 80 mph, the GPS reads 76 or 77 mph making the car's speedometer reading higher that my actual speed...which I suppose is good in a way.

It would be interesting to see what other people find between GPS and their Speed6 speedometers. :)

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
This is supposed to work. I can't get it to work.

Here's a link.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...gation&st=0

EDIT:

I got it to work, I didn't follow the directions.

Once the 'Agree' screen comes up press and hold the 'RET' - Return button, and then turn on-off the running lights 3 times.

Works great, but there in NOTHING about displaying current speed.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

In my Speed6 the speedometer in the car and the speed on my GPS is off by as much as 3-4 mph. So when my car's speedometer says like 80 mph, the GPS reads 76 or 77 mph making the car's speedometer reading higher that my actual speed...which I suppose is good in a way.

It would be interesting to see what other people find between GPS and their Speed6 speedometers. :)
[/b]
Yeah, this precisely the point my buddy was making, and he claims that as speeds increase, accuracy goes down. His point was that thought I may be indicating 120, I might only be doing 110. I'd like to be able to verify with GPS.

I did find another thread in addition to the one franchise listed above, but the sequence listed doesn't do anything, just like it didn't for him. Not sure what to make of that, ugh...

Thanks for the feedback though guys!

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...49024&hl=UP

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
EDIT---

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Bump for new button sequence! (Well it's NEW to me!)

Turn ignition to ACC.
Select Menu on the controller.
Select Navigation Set Up
Select Calibration
Select Map Version

Press Up 2x and Down 2x.

YAHOO!

You can now access the speed info, as well as more!

Once in you can hit the RET button for MORE options.

It has GPS Info, Vehicle Sensor Info, History of the Nav. :drool:

·
Registered
52 Posts

Turn ignition to ACC.
Select Navigation Set Up
Select Calibration
Select Map Version

Press Up 2x and Down 2x.

YAHOO!

It has GPS Info, Vehicle Sensor Info, History of the Nav. :drool:[/b]
Nice find! My parking break sensor always shows off even when it's on, and what is the TNS?? What do you think the Gyro readings are for, is the the GPS sensor??

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Turn ignition to ACC.
Select Navigation Set Up
Select Calibration
Select Map Version

Press Up 2x and Down 2x.

YAHOO!

It has GPS Info, Vehicle Sensor Info, History of the Nav. :drool:[/b]
Great work! If only we could overlay the speed on the nav-map, that would be great! Still nice to know you can validate your speedo, mine reads about 1-2mph fast at 40; i.e. the GPS says 38, speedo is rock solid on the 40 mark...I'll have to see what it says at 100mph - I'll post my findings :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
i always love easter eggs. i'm curious what lies in the differences between the gps maker's units.. obviously u see stuff that we don't have activated.. like traffic.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Great work! If only we could overlay the speed on the nav-map, that would be great! Still nice to know you can validate your speedo, mine reads about 1-2mph fast at 40; i.e. the GPS says 38, speedo is rock solid on the 40 mark...I'll have to see what it says at 100mph - I'll post my findings :)[/b]

Not only is the MPH different, the ODO is different than the GPS miles. On mine the GPS mileage is off short almost 100 miles.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i always love easter eggs. i'm curious what lies in the differences between the gps maker's units.. obviously u see stuff that we don't have activated.. like traffic.[/b]
Yeah, and a Microphone, like the guy above said, I was also trying to figure out the "TNS=off". Maybe "touchscreen Nav system"?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
the GPS polls to calculate.. its not a powerful processor able to have a high duty cycle to make it as accurate as possible :)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not only is the MPH different, the ODO is different than the GPS miles. On mine the GPS mileage is off short almost 100 miles.[/b]
I noticed that, too. Though mine was only off by about 30 miles, interestingly, I show more miles on the GPS than the ODO, probably cause I swapped to a bigger tire (225/45/18) which is a tiny percentage larger diameter...

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Yeah, and a Microphone, like the guy above said, I was also trying to figure out the "TNS=off". Maybe "touchscreen Nav system"?[/b]
I think TNS has something to do with the head lights being on. I'll check.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think TNS has something to do with the head lights being on. I'll check.[/b]
Just tested to see if it was the turnsignals (TNS?) and headlights thinking along the same line; still says off with turnsignals on and the headlights on, off or on parking lights (fogs, too)

hmmmm

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Just tested to see if it was the turnsignals (TNS?) and headlights thinking along the same line; still says off with turnsignals on and the headlights on, off or on parking lights (fogs, too)

hmmmm[/b]

Yea the light thought is a no go.

I was looking around and I think it might be for Terrain Navigation System? Who knows, it would probably require some sort of radar type sensors, like the ones used for accident avoidance.

Or maybe it some sort of Traffic Navigation System? I think some Toyotas have something like that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nice find! My parking break sensor always shows off even when it's on, and what is the TNS?? What do you think the Gyro readings are for, is the the GPS sensor??[/b]
The Gyro readings are probably for the awd system. the EBS and center dif are controlled partly by the G-force meters and gyro readings... the other option is perhaps it is relative to the earth and the nav uses it for vehicle direction?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts