Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't picked up my car yet, so this is pure bench racing. Based on the type of system and various magazine comments I believe the MS6 has FWD character in hard, tight turns -understeer- until the computer decides the fronts are breaking loose. At some point it engages awd and the car goes into a more neutral attitude.
I wonder if a tuner could reprogram it so that AWD engages whenever a hard turn is made, say, over .5g. This would need quite a bit of testing to see what actually happens. Since it's a clutch not a differential we can't assume what will happen - it could kick the rear around into oversteer.
Any chassis experts out there care to comment?

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
The problem you'll have it finding someone that will crack the code and trace all the signals and what not. Its hard enough finding someone to tune a Mazda6 (speed or NA) engine. The AWD system goes as far as to sense slip angle, g-force and yaw and such of the car and factors that into the AWD on/off decision, so yes it could be done, will it be done? Doubtful. Without having driven the speed6, I can only guess, but if you're cornering hard enough I exect the AWD system will kick on anyway if it truly senses all the stuff Mazda says it does.

You'll find the understeer character is given to the car mostly for the safety of the general public, where understeer is much preferred to oversteer in emergency situations as its more controllable. The best way to initially give it a more oversteer feel would to upgrade the suspension with a rear sway and some stiffer springs/shocks. Much cheaper and you can easily do it yourself.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Since the front and rear wheels must turn at different speeds during a turn, I'd expect the car to be more resistant to turning. However, once in a turn, a locked differential would probably cause an overall reduction in grip because those binding forces have to be released somewhere. The two likely places for this release are the front inside (no LSD up there) or rear inside (less weight back there) tires. You'd probably feel it as a repetitive jerking motion, like a malfunctioning limited slip differential.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts