Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my Turbosmart MBC on for about a month now. I noticed that I was getting a little over 60 miles less per tank! Tonight I decided to put her back to stock for the winter. I unhooked the MBC and put one of those fittings in so I could just put the two ends of hose together instead of trying to dick with the one on the compressor. Then I put the hose from the solenoid to the actuator back on and I'm done. BTW the gauge is spliced at the BOV.

WHY DOES MY CAR PULL HARDER WITH LESS BOOST AND W/OUT THE MBC?? :swearin:

Before the boost was hitting 16-16.5 and falling to 8ish at 6k rpm. Now it's just over 15 then drops to just below 10 at 6k. When I took her out after putting her back to stock I'd mash the gas to WOT...I couldn't even sit forward in my seat whereas before I would sit forward a bit when at WOT. WTF?

My 2 theories is that: 1. the compressor was way out of efficiency at 16.5 psi. or 2. I got a junk MBC.

Let me know your opinion while I get some cash from the chumps at a poker game. I'll check back late tonight.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I've had my Turbosmart MBC on for about a month now. I noticed that I was getting a little over 60 miles less per tank! Tonight I decided to put her back to stock for the winter. I unhooked the MBC and put one of those fittings in so I could just put the two ends of hose together instead of trying to dick with the one on the compressor. Then I put the hose from the solenoid to the actuator back on and I'm done. BTW the gauge is spliced at the BOV.

WHY DOES MY CAR PULL HARDER WITH LESS BOOST AND W/OUT THE MBC?? :swearin:

Before the boost was hitting 16-16.5 and falling to 8ish at 6k rpm. Now it's just over 15 then drops to just below 10 at 6k. When I took her out after putting her back to stock I'd mash the gas to WOT...I couldn't even sit forward in my seat whereas before I would sit forward a bit when at WOT. WTF?

My 2 theories is that: 1. the compressor was way out of efficiency at 16.5 psi. or 2. I got a junk MBC.

Let me know your opinion while I get some cash from the chumps at a poker game. I'll check back late tonight.
[/b]
how many miles on the car? did you happen to have over 3500 miles on now, and less when you first put the mbc on. our cars REALLY open up alot over 3500 miles.

the turbo is not out of effeiciency at 16.5 psi. and an mbc is an mbc. they all work the same. whether or not you make one yourself or you go and buy a 200 greddy mbc. they almost all work ball and spring.

ADDED: oh and thats the exact reason im waiting for tuning.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 3300 miles on it right now. Synthetic goes in next week with a rotation. The car had maybe 2500 miles when I put the MBC on... but what about the gas mileage? My driving habits haven't changed in the past 3 months

Edit: BTW... I'm trashed drunk and my wife kicked my ass and everyone elses in poker... Women are evil deceatful(sp) people.

·
Registered
259 Posts
My guess is that if it really is faster without the MBC it has to do with -KC values.

The increased boost puts more load on the motor causing it to more readily knock. Driving around for a while with the MBC on causes the car to pull timing because it is detecting knock. This is called active knock correction.

The car may be initially be faster but after driving around for a while the ECU learns backwards to prevent engine damage. I am unsure to if this is the case but thats how modern Engine Management works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts