Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hardwired my Sirius receiver into my car some time ago, tapping into the dash 12v jack. Now I want to hardwire in the charging line for my bluetooth GPS receiver (also 12v). I was trying to do it by tapping into the same wiring, though it blew 3 or so fuses! Do I need to tap into a different source (eg. fuse box), or can I double up, given that it's relatively low draw?

Thanks!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I think most cars availible amp output for the cig lighter are under 1 amp. If I was you I would tap the sirius into the radio hot wire and then put the other device into the cig lighter. But I would probably not use the cig lighter to power any device, but thats me. good luck.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
The cigarette lighter is good for 120 watts which is 10 amps at 12 volts. As If you can find the power consumption of the Sirius radio and the GPS, you could tap them into the cigarette lighter provided you are under the 10 amps. You could tap a few sources if you wanted but I would run a 12 gauge wire into the interior and then use that to power all of your devices.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cigarette lighter is good for 120 watts which is 10 amps at 12 volts. As If you can find the power consumption of the Sirius radio and the GPS, you could tap them into the cigarette lighter provided you are under the 10 amps. You could tap a few sources if you wanted but I would run a 12 gauge wire into the interior and then use that to power all of your devices.
[/b]
Thanks... I wonder why I blew three fuses (in-line to the GPS receiver) consecutively. I don't think that I had a short. Rather than grounding directly to the chassis, I connected the ground wire to the negative lead from the cigarette lighter. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Your best plan would be to run a wire with an inline fuse from the positive battery terminal to inside the car. Then connect all of your devices to this wire. For the negative connection, run a single wire with all the devices hooked up and loosen a nut underneath the dash, run wrap the negative wire around the stud or bolt and tighten it down.

This will give you the safest and cheapest solution to what you are trying to do. If you want you can also use multiple negative ground connections for each component you wish to install.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your best plan would be to run a wire with an inline fuse from the positive battery terminal to inside the car. Then connect all of your devices to this wire. For the negative connection, run a single wire with all the devices hooked up and loosen a nut underneath the dash, run wrap the negative wire around the stud or bolt and tighten it down.

This will give you the safest and cheapest solution to what you are trying to do. If you want you can also use multiple negative ground connections for each component you wish to install.
[/b]
Great, will do...thanks... I need to search the forums to find the best/least intrusive way to run a wire from the battery into the dash...

·
Registered
147 Posts
What wire in the cigarette ligher outlet is the hot wire?

I got a sirius radio for xmas and am planning an install now.

THanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts