Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my Mazda with automatic tranny, if I choose the "pseudo-manual" gearshift thingie on the right hand side of the console, do I need to let off on the gas pedal like a regular stick car or can I shift gears even while my foot is depressing the gas pedal? Will it cause major wear and tear to the tranmisiion and gears ?

On an unrelated topic, I just had my 1st oil change. Why are the oil filters so @#$%^ expensive ? It this a Mazda ripoff ? If anything shouldn't it be much cheaper as the paper catridge is really only like the inside of a "regular" oil filer. Right ?

·
Registered
133 Posts
On my Mazda with automatic tranny, if I choose the "pseudo-manual" gearshift thingie on the right hand side of the console, do I need to let off on the gas pedal like a regular stick car or can I shift gears even while my foot is depressing the gas pedal? Will it cause major wear and tear to the tranmisiion and gears ?

On an unrelated topic, I just had my 1st oil change. Why are the oil filters so @#$%^ expensive ? It this a Mazda ripoff ? If anything shouldn't it be much cheaper as the paper catridge is really only like the inside of a "regular" oil filer. Right ?
[/b]
You can shift with your foot on the pedal, its not a true manual transmission. Not any different than driving in D mode, except you choose the shifting.

If you don't like the cartridge filter or having the dealer do it, I would suggest converting to the spin on. There is a good write up on how to do this at 6tech.com

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
On my Mazda with automatic tranny, if I choose the "pseudo-manual" gearshift thingie on the right hand side of the console, do I need to let off on the gas pedal like a regular stick car or can I shift gears even while my foot is depressing the gas pedal?
[/b]
If anything I get better shifting by not letting off the gas. Fight the urge to lift, and keep throttle input constant. Note that I have the 5 spd JATCO automatic.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
If anything I get better shifting by not letting off the gas. Fight the urge to lift, and keep throttle input constant. Note that I have the 5 spd JATCO automatic.
[/b]
how are you liking that jatco shift kit? i'm very tempted to purchase one!

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you don't like the cartridge filter or having the dealer do it, I would suggest converting to the spin on. There is a good write up on how to do this at 6tech.com
[/b]
how does this spin-on filter conversion sit with mazda warranty? ie: will it void the warranty? What's rough cost on the parts?
(sorry for the thread jack)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
umm changing out the filter from the oem one will give you warranty issues if the dealer wants to be picky about it. i would discuss it with them first. that is a very vital part of your engine, and not one that you would want to jeopadize your waranty with. ;)

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
I think he was asking how you like the Jatco shift kit from CP-e
[/b]
I don't have the shift kit from CP-E.

http://forum.mazda6tech.com/viewtopic.php?t=8

Mazda6s Automatic Transmission
JA5A-EL

This transmission is a JATCO and is found in many other cars, including the MPV, Nissan Altima, and Nissan Maxima.
Its a triptronic design, with 5 speeds. It requires a fluid which meets or exceeds the Mercon V specification. The transmission takes 9.7 qts of fluid, but if you are using a standard draining system, only a portion of the ATX's fluid will be drained out.

Its torque converter is a three-element, single-gear, two-phase design, with a torque converter clutch mechanism.
The torque converter clutch mechanism, or TCC, is able to transmit the drive force by automatically connecting the pump impeller with the turbine runner as opposed to using fluid. This helps prevent the torque converter from slipping.

The transmission uses a stock cooler which is mounted underneath the radiator. This is the same cooler used to cool the FN4A-EL Mazda6i ATX.

6s ATX Gear Ratios
1st 3.801
2nd 2.131
3rd 1.364
4th 0.935
5th 0.685
Final 3.712[/b]
Jatco is the transmission. CP-E make shift kits specifically for the Jatco trans in Mazda6's.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The only time that I use my "manumatic" is when I am driving hard. ie....in the hill country or getting on it. Long story short, it's an automatic and you cant hurt it by shifting with your foot making a dent in the fire-wall. I waited for the 05 so that I could get the 6-speed, but would like to hear from the shift-kit Jatco crowd. Happy with the kit or not? (Yes, I will check other threads for info. Thanks)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Long story short, it's an automatic and you cant hurt it by shifting with your foot making a dent in the fire-wall.
[/b]
I don't know that I agree with you there. I have driven my 6S ATX for 2 years and 60K miles now. I drive almost exclusively manumatic (tiptronic, I believe it is called) and my tranny works great. (Yeah, I know...should've gone with the MTX...but the wife needs to drive it sometimes too.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just get a manual if you want to control shifting, there really isn't a point to using the tiptronic during normal driving. The ATX will shift for you if you wait too long if you are in the manumatic mode anyway, so what's the point? You are just shifting before your car wants to, it's not meant for normal driving.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Just get a manual if you want to control shifting, there really isn't a point to using the tiptronic during normal driving. The ATX will shift for you if you wait too long if you are in the manumatic mode anyway, so what's the point? You are just shifting before your car wants to, it's not meant for normal driving.
[/b]
Hrm, I think you are wrong there, Sir... :nana:

I use my tiptronic to engine brake all the time and to hold rpms around corners.
Also, if you are in manumatic mode, the car will not upshift for you, only downshift. If you don't do your own upshifting, you will hit the rev limiter.

Now that I have finished proving you wrong :p , welcome to the club

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
About this Discussion
37 Replies
19 Participants
Sacramento6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing