Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my MS6 and being as 93 octane is the lowest i should use would it hurt to use 100 octane? I know its expensive i just wonder how the MS6 would run with a 98-100 octane

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes you can run 100+ octane in your MS6 provided it is not leaded gasoline. From my own personal experience 95ish octane is where the sweet spot is in throttle response/timing advance/SOTP feel.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes you can run 100+ octane in your MS6 provided it is not leaded gasoline. From my own personal experience 95ish octane is where the sweet spot is in throttle response/timing advance/SOTP feel.
[/b]
yeah in my area the only options are 93 and 100 for high octane so i guess i could do 50/50 and split the difference right

·
Registered
329 Posts
From what I have read on the subject, it is always prefered to have unblended gasoline straight from a large source. This is rarely available however in the octane range you are looking at and is mainly for consistancy's sake. Out here in Cali all I can seem to find is 91 and 100 (at select 76 stations) at the pump unless I want to have a drum of gasoline delivered to my house from somewhere like Sunoco or VP Racing Fuels so personally I mix them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yes you can but there's no need to unless you rebuilt your engine.

Racing cars run 100 octane. FYI
[/b]
You don't need to rebuild an engine to receive any benefits from high octane fuel, especially in a forced-induction application. At minimum, running 100 octane will just cost more and add a little extra insurance against detonation.

I used to run 106 leaded in my Eclipse and simply turn up the boost about 5psi higher than normal and I rarely saw any knock. A tunable ECU is even more advantageous in this situation as I kept adding timing and leaning out the injectors and still no knock. On 93 octane I would have blown the engine at those settings.

Plus it (100+ leaded fuels) smells goooood :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts