Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,
im taking off my headlights for dde's , and want to paint the bezels black. I know that many have used high heat black engine enamel. But i have a can of Black Mica Paint ( my car's color) from paintscratch. And i wanted to paint the bezels the same color of the car. Will the paint hold on no problem if sprayed directly ??? i have a can of clear coat too.
what to do?!
thnx

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
I've been wondering this too. I have some leftover steel grey from paintscratch, and I'd love body colored headlights, but I'm a bit concerned about the heat. Then again, how hot does your exterior paint get baking in the sun all day every day? I'd think it'd be okay.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been wondering this too. I have some leftover steel grey from paintscratch, and I'd love body colored headlights, but I'm a bit concerned about the heat. Then again, how hot does your exterior paint get baking in the sun all day every day? I'd think it'd be okay.
[/b]
Yeah , the heat should be no problem at all!!! the thing i am wondering is , will the paint stick perfectly on the bezel????? no base coat/primer or something required?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Ahh. I would think it would stick fine, I mean it's sealed in there so it's not gonna take any road abuse or rain or anything like that. I'd say it would work fine, but I'm certainly no expert.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you're worried about the paint sticking why not primer them? ;)
[/b]
jejeje , that's the sense of the question ! if the paint will stick just fine on that plastic bezel , so no need to get primer! I ask cuz in this country those spray paints , primers , etc... are not easily found. So i need like a week to get it on the net , and shipped to me!
anyone has a clear answer!?
thnx anyways...

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
no primer needed, but a light sanding would be a great idea. it helps with paint adhesion. :)

think he used high temp engine paint.

mine were done over a year ago with night shades, and still look as perfect as the day i did them. and i run 6k hid's. ;)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
one more thing. Will one can of 12.5 onz be enough for both sides???? how many coats each?!?!? thnx

·
Registered
748 Posts
one more thing. Will one can of 12.5 onz be enough for both sides???? how many coats each?!?!? thnx
[/b]
that can size should be more than enough, but if you're worried (and assuming you're buying this from a store and not online) you can always buy an extra can and return the extra one if not used.

I took the following from the How To Tint Your Headlights found in mazda6tech.com :

Step Sixteen: Paint. I applied three (3) coats of black high heat engine enamel paint. I painted the bezel entirely. You may wish to paint only portions of the housing to keep the inner reflector portions of the low beams and fog silvery, like the JDM part:

To get a less-bright finish, after having applied the black paint, apply a couple coats of high heat engine enamel clear coat. Be warned, the more coats, the duller the finish.

here's the link, Clicky -> How To TInt Your Headlamps

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you plan on doing any HID conversion or retrofit i suggest using the high temp paint, because those bulbs get extremely hot. I got burned while testing the projectors.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
people are funny, your car paint isnt HIGH HEAT OMG WTF OWNAGE paint, but yet it does just fine inside the engine bay, and on your hood.... duhhh....

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
"adhesion promoter" instead of primer may be a good idea. I got a can for 3.99 at autozone. Seems to be a good idea for plastic in general though i have not painted bazels (yet). Btw... you should maks off the edges so you get the "chrome" tips look :).

·
Registered
112 Posts
i'm pretty sure the composition of car paint is much different from the regular off the shelf can of spray paint. I chose to use high temp because I rather be safe than sorry, and it won't cost you any more.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well , im gonna try on one bezel without primer , let it dry and see , uf paint sticks ok , will continue. If not , will do it with engine enamel spray. will let u guys know.

If you plan on doing any HID conversion or retrofit i suggest using the high temp paint, because those bulbs get extremely hot. I got burned while testing the projectors.[/b]
Naa , im just doing halos , and painting bezels. Got hid's already , and they're great for now. thnxx

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a question.. is it REALLY necessary to bake your headlights for 6 minutes to loosen the silicon, cant you just cut it wiht a razor blade or somethign and then carefully remove it all and add a new layer when putting it back on?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
15 Participants
Sullosar
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing