Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get the motegi 19inch dpk rims, but in order to get a sweet deal i'll be getting them in chrome. And chrome wouldn't work with what i'm trying to do:

Possible Project 6

Anyway, is painting them or sand blasting them black possible? Not really sure how sand blasting differs from painting, if someone could explain that would be great too (i'll try searching as well). I asked one wheel shop and they said something about risking the paint 'bubbling' when put in the oven (high risk from what he made it sound like). And even if the 'bubbling' didn't occur i would run the risk of the paint chipping on the edges, something about the black paint wouldn't be flush with the chrome lip. I want to get more input on this matter, can anyone help? thanx-

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
well you can sandblast the rims, and it will remove the chrome coat. if you are planning on trying to retain a chrome lip or such, that might be difficult.

sand blasting uses sand to remove coatings and rust and other surface imperfections from metals.

if you want them black you can get them powdercoated black after sandblasting, in fact, many current powdercoating shops media blast the old coating off and then apply the new color, whatever color you want.

go get them powdercoated, man :)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
where are you getting a great deal on the chrome ones?

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well you can sandblast the rims, and it will remove the chrome coat. if you are planning on trying to retain a chrome lip or such, that might be difficult.
sand blasting uses sand to remove coatings and rust and other surface imperfections from metals.

if you want them black you can get them powdercoated black after sandblasting, in fact, many current powdercoating shops media blast the old coating off and then apply the new color, whatever color you want.
go get them powdercoated, man :)
[/b]
it would be nice to retain the chrome lip, but if difficult to do, either a) they won't be able to do it or b) it will cost me an arm an a leg. thanks for the info arch4life, now i just need to find a powdercoating shop around my area (O.C. CA). If anyone knows of a good powdercoating shop PM me and let me know. What is media blasting, i'm assuming a general term for blasting, depending on the 'media' used to blast then the name changes.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yup it can be done
[/b]
Now that we've established it can be done, how's the finished result in terms of "3 - 5 years down the line"'? I assume it will look great at the beginning, but (taking into consideration good maintenance) will the quality be as good as factory painted? I assume factory painted rims don't run the risk of the paint chipping over time, so if done to these chrome rims, I wouldn't want to worry about the paint chipping in 3 - 5 years.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
critical6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing