Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Certain states in N.E + I believe NY require CA emissions control to register a _new_ car. Is this simply a software change that can be done after one buys the car? One would presumably need something to document that the car has CA emissions before a NE state would register it. Any dealers/tuners/someone who has dealt with this care to comment?

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
CA emissions equipment is just a warranty on the emissions equipment. there isnt anything mechanical that's changed.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I believe it's the catalytic converter that is different for CA b/c of emissions

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I believe it's the catalytic converter that is different for CA b/c of emissions
[/b]
what makes you think that? if that is the case, there would be different part numbers for the cats.

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
It's probably the ECU programming that's different, if anything. It shouldn't be much different either, but I don't think dealers have to ability to change it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
how can it be just the warranty. On the back of my request of title here in MO, it says 'this vehicle does not comply with CA emissions'. Has to be more then just a warranty. If its just the warranty thats freaking stupid.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
how can it be just the warranty. On the back of my request of title here in MO, it says 'this vehicle does not comply with CA emissions'. Has to be more then just a warranty. If its just the warranty thats freaking stupid.
[/b]
The 5 states that require the "emissions equipment" do so because Mazda must warranty the emissions performance of the car for a longer period of time in those states.

Your vehicle doesn't comply because you didn't pay the extra $100 for the so-called emissions "option". That money goes towards warranting the items on the car that affect emissions (cat, O2 sensors, etc.)

By calling it "emissions equipment", Mazda makes you think your $100 is paying for some extra physical device on the car. In reality, you are paying an "emissions" state tax to cover Mazda's higher cost of operations in that state.

·
Registered
71 Posts
The 5 states that require the "emissions equipment" do so because Mazda must warranty the emissions performance of the car for a longer period of time in those states.

Your vehicle doesn't comply because you didn't pay the extra $100 for the so-called emissions "option". That money goes towards warranting the items on the car that affect emissions (cat, O2 sensors, etc.)

By calling it "emissions equipment", Mazda makes you think your $100 is paying for some extra physical device on the car. In reality, you are paying an "emissions" state tax to cover Mazda's higher cost of operations in that state.
[/b]
I think you may be wrong. I found this on the Nissan website

CAL emissions (PZEV) equipment causes normal reductions in horsepower (from 175 hp to 170 hp)

I know this is not Mazda specific, but I'm sure that it relates.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I think you may be wrong. I found this on the Nissan website

CAL emissions (PZEV) equipment causes normal reductions in horsepower (from 175 hp to 170 hp)

I know this is not Mazda specific, but I'm sure that it relates.
[/b]
In fact the CAL emission version of the Mazda 3's are also reduced horsepower, but *it's advertised* as such.

The Mazdaspeed 6 is already a low emission vehicle and the $100 California emissions "option" is just as others stated, simply a longer warranty on the emissions equipment. If the CAL Speeds were down on power because of the emissions, I'm pretty sure Mazda would HAVE to make that known, as they do with the CAL Mazda 3's.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/displayPag...vehicleCode=M3S

Mazda 3 HP with 2.3L (156 @ 6500 rpm (PZEV = 151 @ 6500rpm))

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Interesting.

The PZEV is a whole entire different class.

PZEV vehicles do have equipment differences.

The Speed6 isnt a PZEV.

·
Registered
243 Posts
As noted, the California emissions adder differs by vehicle. Some conform to the California standard already and just require warranty extension. Some actually require equipment to be installed, even in this day and age.

What's missing from this discussion is the old "Smog Impact Fee" that California used to charge out of state vehicle owners when they registered in state. This fee was declared unconstitutional by the California Supreme Court about 6 or 7 years ago, so the charge went away. If memory serves, it was a $400 one time fee for every car, even if it could pass the California Emissions test without modification. By the way, you won't be surprised to learn that from the factory, pretty much every car can pass the California Emissions test. The PZEV thing mentioned before is only relative to gas cap emissions. PZEV stands for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle. In the case of Ford and Ford related products, the partial part is a fuel vapor recovery system that prevents any and all VOC's from escaping the fuel tank. I assume this is done with something resembling an EGR or PCV system, but I don't really know. Nor do I know why it derates the power, but it may just be the rating and not the reality.

So, All that said, it may not matter what New York and Massachsetts want as far as vehicle compliance. If they're anything like California, you just have to pass the test. Sure, there are various other parameters that must be met, like the car is supposed to have more than 7500 miles on it before it's transfered into the state and I don't think you can register a new, out of state car if you're a California resident. This is to prevent people from just buying cars out of state and bringing them home. Check your local DMV, but I doubt you'll have to jump through too many hoops to register in NY.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts