Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know for a 235/45 tire the minimum recommended width is 7.5", but can it be done? Has anyone put this wide (or wider) with a 45 aspect ratio on a 7" width rim?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of OEM M6 17" wheels for winter and a coworker has a nearly new set of Nokian Hakkapalitas that are 235/45/17 that he's going to give to me.

I realize that I could sell these and just buy the proper size, but I feel a bit funny selling something that someone gave me for free (even if it's just to get a different size snow tire). And yes this person will notice that they are not the same tires he gave me (you just have to know him).

what do you think?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I know for a 235/45 tire the minimum recommended width is 7.5", but can it be done? Has anyone put this wide (or wider) with a 45 aspect ratio on a 7" width rim?

The reason I ask is that I have a set of OEM M6 17" wheels for winter and a coworker has a nearly new set of Nokian Hakkapalitas that are 235/45/17 that he's going to give to me.

I realize that I could sell these and just buy the proper size, but I feel a bit funny selling something that someone gave me for free (even if it's just to get a different size snow tire). And yes this person will notice that they are not the same tires he gave me (you just have to know him).

what do you think?
[/b]
first sticky on the page

going with wider tires for winter is not the best thing to do, the more narrow a tire, the better it should do in the winter.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Thank your friend for the tires, but politely explain that they're not designed for that width wheel and you're not comfortable with that setup. Offer to give them back and if he says to just keep them, ask him if he minds if you sell them to get the right size tire. Would you put the wrong oil in your engine just because someone gave it to you for free?

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
:hide:
posttosh is already upset because some of us are running 225/45R17 on 17X7.

If he sees that you want to run 235 on 7", he'll blow a gasket! :D

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
:hide:
posttosh is already upset because some of us are running 225/45R17 on 17X7.

If he sees that you want to run 235 on 7", he'll blow a gasket! :D
[/b]
Nah: tuckbar had the good sense to ask, and he got good advice. I assume that he'll follow the good advice he received. Besides, if he had mounted that 235 on the 7" rim, the chances are that it would have popped off the rim while cornering someplace other than in front of me, so it would have been somebody else's problem. :cheers: (Thanksgiving.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts