Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was in the market for my 6, I noticed something very simaler in the photos of the 6s and speed6's suspenion, the have I detical Transmissions, the only thing that makes the Speed6 a 4 wheel drive is a drive-shaft that looks like it connects to part the 6s already has, so doesnt that mean you could make the 6s into a all wheel drive?

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
It's not just the mechanical difference, but also the electrical difference (ie. ECU).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
actually the speed6 has a totaly different engine/transmission/drivetrain. The speed6 has a 6speed manual and I beleive the MZ6 only has a 5speed manual available (with a 6 speed auto). The best way to "convert" a regular 6 to AWD is to trade it in for a Mazdaspeed6. The Mazdaspeed3 uses the same transmission as the MS6 but without the rear wheel output shaft/rear dff/ ect.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Without actually doing it, I bet you could make the change...

But I would make odds that it would be cheaper to pay full sticker for a brand new MS6 with all wheel drive than to convert an existing M6.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Without actually doing it, I bet you could make the change...

But I would make odds that it would be cheaper to pay full sticker for a brand new MS6 with all wheel drive than to convert an existing M6.
[/b]
that was going to be my answer. ANYTHING can be done if you're mechanically inclined and not too bright. You can make a FWD car AWD or RWD, and you can make an automatic a manual with the right amount of money ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
and you can make an automatic a manual with the right amount of money ;)
[/b]
actually my friend did that with his Supra...he took a N/A automatic and converted it to a turbo charged (engine swap from a wrecked supra) manual (tranny swap from another wrecked Supra). Best part is he pays the insurance for a N/A auto and he has the much faster car! Didnt cost him too much loot and he did the work himself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
actually my friend did that with his Supra...he took a N/A automatic and converted it to a turbo charged (engine swap from a wrecked supra) manual (tranny swap from another wrecked Supra). Best part is he pays the insurance for a N/A auto and he has the much faster car! Didnt cost him too much loot and he did the work himself.
[/b]

He may pay less but they can deny his claim for that.

But if you would like to change your 6 to an AWD then thenit will take a new trany, and then a new drive shaft and diff then axles then a arms and spindels then your good. THATS ALL. That is just to much for me to handle.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
He may pay less but they can deny his claim for that.
[/b]
shhhhh...
But if you would like to change your 6 to an AWD then thenit will take a new trany, and then a new drive shaft and diff then axles then a arms and spindels then your good. THATS ALL. That is just to much for me to handle.
[/b]
well if are going to go through all that you are gonna need to throw in a center differential or the coupling that the MS6 uses, and if you use the coupling you will need the ECU, and sensors that control it as well as the programed logic from the MS6's ECU but modified to take infromation from the v6 engine...

Id say buy the MS6 and skip all that and get extra hp and all the other stuff the MS6 has besides AWD

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
i always amaze me how in the honda world so many parts are interchangeable. you can mate this engine with that transmission or you can put this head on that block and so on.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
[/b]
to bad auto supra's are proven faster than the manuals ;)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
to bad auto supra's are proven faster than the manuals ;)
[/b]
also proven less fun to drive :nana:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
also proven less fun to drive :nana:
[/b]
not when you can run the 1/4 in 9.89 seconds ;).

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
not when you can run the 1/4 in 9.89 seconds ;).
[/b]
well the newby section is not the place to start arguements so I wont but I would rather have a 10.00 manual supra than a 9.89 auto, just for the fun of changing gears and the whole clutch experience...however you are right and the fastest supras in the world are the ones with auto ATX...not stock autoTX mind you...

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
well the newby section is not the place to start arguements so I wont but I would rather have a 10.00 manual supra than a 9.89 auto, just for the fun of changing gears and the whole clutch experience...however you are right and the fastest supras in the world are the ones with auto ATX...not stock autoTX mind you...
[/b]
hehe true. in fact i think we have the fastest supra in the world in austin from turbonetics :D. 7.89 i think it was at 182.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
hehe true. in fact i think we have the fastest supra in the world in austin from turbonetics :D. 7.89 i think it was at 182.
[/b]
7.89!! holly poop! :eek:

makes the 14 second MS6 seem like a slug :laugh:

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
My neighbor converted his manual 6s into a manual turbocharged AWD 6..... and it only cost him about 5k.
[/b]
i know that the noob forum isn't for arguing but bullshit. he didn't do that and if he did proove it so we all could do it as turbo kits for this car set you back that much alone. unless he traded in his 6s for a ms6

1 - 20 of 32 Posts