Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On your website, you've now listed you will soon be carrying camshafts for the 3.0L V6. Any progress on these?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by 2003blue6@Nov 26 2004, 10:19 AM
Sweet!!!!!!  I think cams are a great mod...but what about cam gears etc??? Are they going to be  available too????
MArc
[snapback]328433[/snapback]​
I highly doubt they would:

The big variable valve actuator bolts directly onto the intake cam sprocket. Adjusting the exhaust cams would not have that much power considering the amount of work required to replace those sprockets (Engine removal).

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
Didn't you say that the green stripe meant they are from the Taurus or something? Doesn't that mean any of the Cams for the Ford 3.0 (or even 2.5s?) would work for us?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn@Nov 26 2004, 02:44 PM
Didn't you say that the green stripe meant they are from the Taurus or something? Doesn't that mean any of the Cams for the Ford 3.0 (or even 2.5s?) would work for us?
[snapback]328482[/snapback]​
Yup, you can go to the dealership and pay I believe $800 for a set of SVT Contour camshafts and pop them in. Everything is identical. Though I am wondering if the actuator will actually help/increase the performance of the SVT cams or negate it all together.

The only other available camshaft is the Ford Escape cam set, which has a low-end torque curve to it for towing applications, not much benefit to us.

In sane theory you can also snag up a pair of 2.5 heads if you wanted to, to net a little higher compression if your going after naturally aspirated. That's what alot of CSVT owners did, create a "hybrid" a 3.0L block with 2.5L heads and SVT cams. Average dyno I was seeing for a "stock" hybrid was like 186 FWHP, so not a bad starting point.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
I'm not very familiar with how cam shafts would help out out in whatever way they would... what would be the advantages to using some of the above cams? Or what kind of CAM would our engine benefit from?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn@Nov 27 2004, 02:29 PM
I'm not very familiar with how cam shafts would help out out in whatever way they would... what would be the advantages to using some of the above cams? Or what kind of CAM would our engine benefit from?
[snapback]328700[/snapback]​
The Contour SVT cam set will be what most all of those who swap cams on the V6 will go to. It broadens the powerband quite a bit and is the same cam set powering those like Buckshot Motorsport's Vortech-blown 3.0L making 396 FWHP and Suneil's T3/T4 turbocharged 3.0L making 401 FWHP.

The SVT set is alot cheaper than the Cat Cams rally/race cam sets for the Duratec V6, which retail for about $1,400.

It's actually shocking that Draxas has never done this prior to now, Nikolas and Draxas have always had a strong repore at Contour.org where there has always been an outcry for variety in cams.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by mym6@Nov 27 2004, 09:31 PM
How forgiving is the ECU on just unplugging the actuator?
[snapback]328765[/snapback]​
Probably result in a no-start situation. There is no actual "plug" for the actuator that I could find. It is mostly mechanical with the only electronic part being the camshaft position sensors, those things poking out the top of the cam/valve covers. You unplug the CPS and your car won't run.

·
Premium Member
7,221 Posts
You think our picky ECUs would have any issues dealing with different cams? And would it be a terrible idea to get a set of slightly used CAMs off someone?

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Mazda_Gremlyn@Nov 28 2004, 02:48 AM
You think our picky ECUs would have any issues dealing with different cams? And would it be a terrible idea to get a set of slightly used CAMs off someone?
[snapback]328817[/snapback]​
I doubt it, remember Z6Speed is running twin turbos on the factory ECU. No not a terrible idea at all, used SVT cams for sale on CEG go very quickly.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Draxas@Nov 29 2004, 02:25 PM
I need to check our website to see where it says that.

The only cams that we will be carrying soon are for the 2.3L Duratec engine, not the 3.0L Duratec V6.

Nikolas
[snapback]329255[/snapback]​
http://www.draxas.com/mazda6.html

"Draxas will be offering a wide range of performance upgrades for the V6 equipped Mazda6 including cat back exhaust systems, race headers, camshafts and computer programmers."

First full-sized paragraph.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll beat Nikolas to the punch here. On CEG, after explaining S-VT a bit more and the lack of differences, he is exploring 3.0L camshafts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts