Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Mazda 6s
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran into the following issue when removing(attempting to remove) a broken water-pump housing. As others have mentioned, the water-pump drive pulley on the cam blocks two of the three mount bolts for the pump on the Mazda 3.0. Although I found several threads discussing the problem my brief forum search did not uncover any info on removing the drive pulley.

Can the pulley be removed from the cam, how, with what tools?
Would camshaft removal be simpler?

This rookie mechanic appreciates any and all advice/info.

·
Registered
2003 Mazda 6s
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response. What puller type is required? I do not recognize the type in the diagram.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Adding a comment for anyone else that comes across this like I did. The Oreillys harmonic balancer puller rental kit worked great to get the water pump drive pulley off a M6 2006 3.0L BUT I had to run to home depot to buy myself three 5/16"x2" bolts + 3 nuts + 6 washers to attach the brass puller head to the pulley. The 3 bolts in the kit are intended to screw into a harmonic balancer, so you need some other way to attach it to the pulley. I could've gotten away with just buying nuts for the included bolts but figured for $2.50 in parts I'd make sure they'd all fit together nice. Pics below:

PS. I only realized after the pulley was off that I should have added the brass tip to the central screw so it would make a cleaner contact with the shaft:

·
Registered
668 Posts
When I did mine I used this puller from harbor freight and just used a bolt and washer to reinstall the pulley

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
my issue is wether waterpump is screeching or the pulley? i simply cannot find manual or specs for my 2006 mazda 6s manual 3.0 anywhere

1 - 9 of 9 Posts