Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From SEMA e-News:

CAMARO CRUISES TO DEALERSHIPS IN 2009

When General Motors ended Chevrolet Camaro production in 2002, the company sold 28,404 of the iconic musclecar that year. This was a 20% drop from the previous year’s 35,453 sold. However, the Chevrolet Camaro still has a strong presence in the automotive enthusiast community—for example, there are over 14,000 customized Camaros registered on the automotive enthusiast www.CarDomain.com, which encompasses a community of over 440,000 vehicles.

General Motors Corp. will build a production version of the Camaro concept that bowed at January’s North American International Auto Show, CEO Rick Wagoner confirmed.

The car will be designed in the United States, engineered in Australia and built in North America. Production will begin near the end of 2008, and the car will go on sale in first-quarter 2009.

Wagoner would not specify the production site for the car but says it will be built in North America, adding that the customer does not care where a car is made.

Asked to comment on a prediction by GM product chief Bob Lutz that production likely would be about 100,000 units, Wagoner says: “Bob is a pretty smart guy; that sounds good to me.”

The production car will be almost identical to the concept, which is a modern interpretation of the ’69 model, Wagoner emphasizes, adding it will be rear-drive, have an independent rear suspension and be available in a variety of models with a choice of manual and automatic transmissions and V6 and V8 engines.

Source: “Wagoner Confirms GM to Build Camaro,” Drew Winter, www.wardsauto.com

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
A Camaro with IRS. Hmmm....

The question is: Will it be priced competitively with the Mustang and upcoming Challenger?

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A Camaro with IRS. Hmmm....

The question is: Will it be priced competitively with the Mustang and upcoming Challenger?
[/b]
of course it will...GM may be stupid, but they're not retarded...

i just wish they could push it out for '08

·
Registered
814 Posts
of course it will...GM may be stupid, but they're not retarded...

i just wish they could push it out for '08
[/b]
ditto :yesnod: I can't wait for the day we see camaros, mustangs and challengers at stop lights again!

If they don't have t-top options I will cry like a little girl (i doubt they will, that roof is enormously big) :( .

I've been a gearhead since I learned to drive so I am pumped, although I have to say...the way GM has been doing things lately, I just hope it gets out by 2009 :laugh:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I like the looks of the "new" muscle cars (except the Charger...lousy four doors...lousy automatic... :swearin: )

but I hate the weight, the Camaro and the Challenger both look like they will weigh 10 tons!
I have to say if the Challenger keeps the 6-speed and a badass Hemi it looks like a fun ride.

Side note:
Has anyone seen pics of the sistercar for the Camaro...Trans AM/Firebird/GTO or whatever Pontiac is making?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
As much as I'd like to see it sooner than '09, that's a great target date for me to finish paying off my 6! :drive:

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Side note:
Has anyone seen pics of the sistercar for the Camaro...Trans AM/Firebird/GTO or whatever Pontiac is making?
[/b]
I think Pontiac's version will be the GTO. I haven't heard a thing about the Firebird coming back.

And no, no pics yet.

Another side note: GM has plans to convert Pontiac to ALL RWD platforms with NO trucks, SUVs, or minivans.
Long time coming, AFAIC...

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I think Pontiac's version will be the GTO. I haven't heard a thing about the Firebird coming back.

And no, no pics yet.

Another side note: GM has plans to convert Pontiac to ALL RWD platforms with NO trucks, SUVs, or minivans.
Long time coming, AFAIC...
[/b]
are you serious? or are you just playing with my emotions? A RWD grand Prix would be sweet. In fact I would want to drive a RWD G6, or any RWD GM would make me smile (yes I know about the solstice/redline but i mean a passanger vehicle)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Side note:
[/b]

The firebird is not coming back anytime soon :tear: ...and as far as the GTO...production ends this year :sarc: .

·
Registered
302 Posts
I can't wait. I'll be picking one up as long as my finances allow for it. I've owned a 3rd gen and a 4th gen, and will get the 5th gen when it's out. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I like the look of the new Mustangs but the new Camaros look wrong.
Plus with the state of gas prices, I don't know if the will sell as well as they did in the 80's and 90's.

I like RWD V8's from a wish list standpoint but I just don't think we are going back to cheap gas and I think you'll get 22mpg at best.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Side note:
[/b]
Here ya go:

Although I think this is someone's idea of what it could look like. I don't think this is official.

·
Registered
814 Posts
if that was real i'd pee myself! it is only an interpretation though. pontiac is moving on without the 'bird. but then again....pics like that give us hope. i remember seeing the camaro one right after they killed it and thinking..."i wish". who woulda thunk it! :)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Here ya go:

Although I think this is someone's idea of what it could look like. I don't think this is official. [/b]
Can't be, because that grill is not tall enough and it does not look like a beaver up front.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Here ya go:

Although I think this is someone's idea of what it could look like. I don't think this is official.
[/b]
it's just some jackass photochopping here's the pic it came from:

anyway I remember reading that Pontiac will have a sister car for the Camaro (i.e. it will have the same frame and have the same engine/tranny) just don't remmber if it was going to be called the GTO or not

·
Registered
405 Posts
i think it would be cool is they brought back the trans am based on the 3rd gen (80's) bodystyle... just make it a bit more smooth and rounded out, and make the dimensions smaller just a tad.

·
Registered
814 Posts
again...there will be no firebird. the GTO is dead in '07 due to airbag requirements that the current car cannot meet.

However...a new GTO has been rumored to be in production along side the '09 camaro, but as of now it is a rumor. no firebird.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
again...there will be no firebird. the GTO is dead in '07 due to airbag requirements that the current car cannot meet.

However...a new GTO has been rumored to be in production along side the '09 camaro, but as of now it is a rumor. no firebird.
[/b]
I don't care weather they call it a GTO, Firebird, Transam, or Picklewagon...I just want a RWD 6 speed beast with 350+ hp based on the frame of that new Camaro but with Pontiac's styling. I've always prefered the Firebird/Trans AM to the Camaro

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Man, that design is nice.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts