Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone in this Mazda world knows what's going on with my car, because my mechanic is stumped (but I haven't had any huge issues until this)...

2004 Mazda 6s (3.0L) manual transmission 97,000 miles

Driving one day and my tachometer reading suddenly dropped to zero (no changes in speed/accel/deceleration), my service engine light comes on, along with my Traction Control System "TCS Off" light and the light that indicates when the car doesn't have traction. Car seems to operate fine and if bring the rpms greater than 3,000, the tachometer needle engages, and the "TCS Off" light turns off.

I bring it in later that day to get the code looked at (and get my oil change done at the same time, I was just over 3,000 miles since my last oil change). The service engine codes were Po022, Po345, and Po340. But turns out the oil level was 4+ quarts LOW (first time the oil has ever been low...no leaks, no burning/blue smoke). After the oil change, the Po22 and Po345 codes clear, but the Po340 and tachometer/TCS issues are still present. Drive the car home, park it in the garage, 5 minutes later go to restart the car and it is dead (battery is fully charged, power present before/after the fuses, but no lights, no ignition clicking, nothing). Disconnected the negative/ground terminals, cleaned the posts, and reconnected. Computer reset, and car was "back", but the P0340 code and tachometer/TCS issue still present.

In case it matters (and in hindsight), the car was running unusually loud just prior (someone had mentioned it to me a few days before). I also had to get a new clutch installed about a month ago and I think it was burned up because there has always been a lag in engaging first gear (it's actually easier to start in 2nd).

Any ideas what's going on? Any insight is much appreciated!!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, did you ever solve this issue? My brother's car is doing the exact same thing. Same year, engine, trans, roughly the same mileage ~110k, and he even had <1quart of oil which we didn't notice until the tachometer started acting up.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, did you ever solve this issue? My brother's car is doing the exact same thing. Same year, engine, trans, roughly the same mileage ~110k, and he even had <1quart of oil which we didn't notice until the tachometer started acting up.
Just in case anyone else had a similar problem, he jumped the timing belt and bent a rod or something similar, requiring a full engine rebuild/replace.

Moral of the story, change your oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This Fixed My Car, MUST READ!!!

Even though this forum is old as dirt, I would really like to help others with this problem. So, I have an 04 mazda 6s, manual, 97k. I bought the car about a two months ago with this same issue, p0340, tach not reading until 3000, and tcs light on. The engine in my car was replaced before I purchased it and I believe it was from another car that was hit since the dealer told us the engine was rather cheap and it looks rather new. So, I bought the car and began replacing parts, the cam sensors, crank sensor, and the timing chain. Then i doubled checked to make sure the vvt sensors were fine, they were. Now, I was out of ideas. I studied this topic for quite a few days and found literally nothing to fix my issue. Finally, I was looking in my Chilton book and noticed that the gear looking thing on the end of the cam shaft which measures the camshaft rotation angle, not sure what its called, was not in the same alignment as in my car (This is why I believe my engine was hit once before). I found a couple more pictures online, only two others, and decided to try spinning them around and see if it fixes the issue. So, my gear in particular was about two and a half teeth off. Way more than enough to make the computer think the timing chain is out of align. I spun it, put the car back together, and voila, NO MORE LIGHTS!!! The job just requires you to take the valve covers off, check your positioning on the gears, and spin the correct one, or both of them. For my v6 model, there are two, but for you i4 users, there will only be one. Below I will post a picture of what the gear placement should look like. To use the picture, identify where the timing marks are on the cam (in picture) and then determine where the gear is in rotation relative to the timing marks. Be warned that you must be extremely close to the actually time or else the light will not go out. You may have to do it twice in order to get it just right. I really hope this helps many people who I see having this same issue. As for the op, not sure how yours would go out of align going down the highway, but anything is possible with these Mazdas. YOU WILL NOT FIND THIS INFORMATION ANYWHERE ELSE ON THE INTERNET UNLESS SOMEONE ELSE POSTS MY IDEA AFTER THIS!

http://forum.mazda6club.com/attachm...azda-6-3-0-vvt-actuator-problems-img2422n.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts