Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all current owners:

Post a list of pros and cons of the 2014 Mazda 6 now that you've been driving it. Make sure you post what models/packages you have, and list all the little delights/annoyances.

I will be purchasing soon since I've been offered invoice pricing, but I've never bought a vehicle so close to release and with so few reviews of the American model.

One important thing for me: road noise/ride quality. I do a lot of high speed driving as I have a long highway commute and it's important I have a car that's quiet and smooth at high speeds (67-72mph). Comment on this if you can! Thanks so much

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ok, so for the 12 days I have been driving this car here is my pros and cons.

Car: 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Tech Package

Pros:
Excellent interior layout
Leatherette is an excellent alternative to leather
excellent feel to the steering wheel
navigation knob for the stereo in front of the cup holder
Pandora App is a nice addition
When backing up, the system warns you of cars comming in your path
Bose stereo is excellent and crystal clear almost alone worth the extra for the tech package.
Blind spot assist works excellent
Accelleration on low end is great
Acceleration on high end is also great
The 2014 Mazda 6 handles like a sports car around sharp turns
While driving this car you also feel like you are in a luxury car.
very low noise.
Passenger seat retracts all the way down (flat) so the passenger could easily sleep during long trips.
You would never believe that you are in a fuel efficient vehicle.
excellent trunk room
plenty of room in back seats even with front seats all the way back.

Cons:
They are not free
It may be difficult to find the right package with the right color at the right price at this point in time.
The review sites have not given this car the praise that it deserves.
Not looking forward to replacing the 19" tires down the road
Bluetooth feature could be better if you didn't have to go through so many steps to make a phone call (hit talk button, "phone call", response... "who whould you like to call", "john smith on mobile", response..." would you like to call john smith on mobile", "yes", response... "press pickup to call john smith on mobile", press pickup button). They really should make that process much shorter. if you just hit the phone button, you have to listen to a tutorial each time before you can say "call john smith on mobile".

·
Registered
56 Posts
Bluetooth feature could be better if you didn't have to go through so many steps to make a phone call (hit talk button, "phone call", response... "who whould you like to call", "john smith on mobile", response..." would you like to call john smith on mobile", "yes", response... "press pickup to call john smith on mobile", press pickup button). They really should make that process much shorter. if you just hit the phone button, you have to listen to a tutorial each time before you can say "call john smith on mobile".
Could have swore I read something in the manual about pressing one of the buttons when the voice starts giving tutorials that let's you skip all of it if you know what you want to say.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Could have swore I read something in the manual about pressing one of the buttons when the voice starts giving tutorials that let's you skip all of it if you know what you want to say.

Wouldn't happen to know which one of those buttons it was do you? That would be great.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Awesome review Chomley, thanks! I'm really glad you like the leatherette seats cuz it was the only thing I haven't seen or tested. The blind spot assistance: I'm a little confused about what this is. Cuz it's not blind spot monitoring, that's only in the GT right?

I can't wait to get my Touring w/Tech :) definitely will post pics and a review!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Touring with tech comes with the blind spot monitoring.

Chomlee - thank you, perfect review! What color outside/inside do you have? I'm wondering if I like the white or black leatherette better..

·
Registered
274 Posts

Chomlee - thank you, perfect review! What color outside/inside do you have? I'm wondering if I like the white or black leatherette better..
Wow I didn't even see that, for some reason I thought that only the GT got it, so that's awesome! According to Mazda's website it comes stand on the Touring, so you don't even need the Tech upgrade. Loving all these nice features this car has!

I noticed the BSM on the Fusion I tested, but I didn't give it much attention, because I assumed it was the same and thought it was only for the GT model. But can you elaborate on the BSM system? It is automatically on correct? I think I noticed a switch to turn it off on left of the steering wheel when I was in the GT. Also does it just light up a LED on the side mirror when something is there or is it also an audio warning as well?

Dark - Personally I would shoot for Black interior especially if you have kids just because white is hard to keep white after awhile. Although technically the interior color is called sand.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm taking a 8 hr trip this weekend in my Meteor Gray Touring model (no tech pkg) so i'll be posting a review as i'm coming up on a week with the car.

To answer your question though, the BSM basically lights up a icon in the rear view mirrors when there is a vehicle in your blind spot. For example if a car is in your blind spot in the right lane, the icon will light up in the right mirror. In addition, if you put your blinker on in the direction where a vehicle is in your blind spot, you will get an audible alert and the icon in the mirror will blink.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think I found it. You just hit the speak button right after you hit the phone button and then just say "call john smith mobile". Done. Thanks for the hint.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I have the meteor grey Mazda 6 and the letherett is black. I would stay away from extremely light color leather/leatherette as it does show dirt stains much easier. I had a 7 year old Jetta TDI that I traded in for the CX5 6 months ago and it had black leather and it still looked like new because the black helps hide any stains/aging over the years.

Also, there are 2 types of monitoring/warning. The first one is with the mirrors lighting up and beeping if you attempt to put on your turn signal in that direction (this has been standard for the 2014 Mazda 6 as well as the touring CX5). The other type of monitoring is the backup camera object detection warning. For example, when you are backing up out of your driveway and a car is comming up the road and about 100 ft from your car, the camera senses this and beeps to let you know something is comming in your direction. This has stopped me from backing out in someones path several times and found this to be even more helpful than the BSM. I guess the same thing would happen if a child was playing and they were behind your vehicle.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Has anyone tested out the Nav yet? I was told you have a SD card to use so you can update the maps? Does it come with lifetime map upgrades? I know my portable Garmin does and it's a nice feature.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
^ It does come with an SD card, but you don't get lifetime maps. You get one free map update within 60 days of first buying your vehicle, though. I assume that's to make sure you don't start out with outdated maps to begin with.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Is the SD card pre-installed? Where is it located on the car? That's rather dumb that they don't offer lifetime maps like Garmin does. Unfortunately Tom Tom wouldn't have been my first pick for Nav, because I have had one before. They work okay, but I prefer my Garmin more so.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok, so for the 12 days I have been driving this car here is my pros and cons.

Car: 2014 Mazda 6 Touring with Tech Package

Pros:
Excellent interior layout
Leatherette is an excellent alternative to leather
excellent feel to the steering wheel
navigation knob for the stereo in front of the cup holder
Pandora App is a nice addition
When backing up, the system warns you of cars comming in your path
Bose stereo is excellent and crystal clear almost alone worth the extra for the tech package.
Blind spot assist works excellent
Accelleration on low end is great
Acceleration on high end is also great
The 2014 Mazda 6 handles like a sports car around sharp turns
While driving this car you also feel like you are in a luxury car.
very low noise.
Passenger seat retracts all the way down (flat) so the passenger could easily sleep during long trips.
You would never believe that you are in a fuel efficient vehicle.
excellent trunk room
plenty of room in back seats even with front seats all the way back.

Cons:
They are not free
It may be difficult to find the right package with the right color at the right price at this point in time.
The review sites have not given this car the praise that it deserves.
Not looking forward to replacing the 19" tires down the road
Great review and it pretty much echoes my feelings. I have yet to set up Pandora and will be hitting 1,000 miles on the odometer this weekend. I found the voice recognition is a little rough for the Navigation and my wife says I am speaking as clear as possible. It does recognize telephone number well.

I did hit a small glitch this week when I received a message from the car. Engine Inspection Required. I called the dealer and they had me bring it in the next morning. Seeing it was brand new, they needed to call Mazda.
I was told there was nothing wrong and that Mazda knows about this. Evidently there will be a fix that they will contact me about. They reset it in the interim and it hasn't come back yet. Still loving the car.

Quick question:
My power outlet in the tray at the bottom of the center console doesn't have a cover. It looks a little tacky without it. I have seen pictures of a cover on line. Does yours have a cover? If so, I guess I'll mention it when I bring it in for the 1st service.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did hit a small glitch this week when I received a message from the car. Engine Inspection Required. I called the dealer and they had me bring it in the next morning. Seeing it was brand new, they needed to call Mazda.
I was told there was nothing wrong and that Mazda knows about this. Evidently there will be a fix that they will contact me about. They reset it in the interim and it hasn't come back yet.
Sounds alarming for a new car barely one month old.. Please keep us posted on this..

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
17 Participants
dbam987
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing