Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

First, I'd like to say hi. I'm not an owner yet but I'm hoping to be in a couple months. You guys seem like a nice group of folks.

Second, I live in the bay area (northern california) and haven't seen on 6 on the road yet. It's really peculiar.

But the reason why I'm posting is that I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good dealer up here (or anywhere in California for that matter). I'm fresh out of college, have an ok-paying job and am looking to buy my first car. I'm ripe for being taken advantage of and I'm just looking for guidance.

So, even if you only had tips/strategies on car-buying I'd appreciate that too. I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks!:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Calling California owners...'

Originally posted by Rydmcalboy

Hi,

First, I'd like to say hi.  I'm not an owner yet but I'm hoping to be in a couple months.  You guys seem like a nice group of folks.

Second, I live in the bay area (northern california) and haven't seen on 6 on the road yet.  It's really peculiar.

But the reason why I'm posting is that I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good dealer up here (or anywhere in California for that matter).  I'm fresh out of college, have an ok-paying job and am looking to buy my first car.  I'm ripe for being taken advantage of and I'm just looking for guidance.

So, even if you only had tips/strategies on car-buying I'd appreciate that too.  I apologize if this is in the wrong forum.

Thanks!:)[/b]
Here is my strategy: never say yes to anything above $500 over invoice. Check www.edmunds.com for invoice. You should get additional $500 off for being recent graduated. Good luck

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Calling California owners...

I don't know anything about dealers ect. , just want to welcome you! :) Hope you'll enjoy your stay here and learn alot!

Please click on "myhome" in the blue bar under the Duratec Performance add, and enter what city/state you live in. It makes things easier when discussing things like this for example!

·
Registered
10 Posts

I dunno about the Bay area, but I had a good experience buying from Galpin Mazda in the L. A. area.

A good starting point, I would think, would be to go on the Mazda USA web site and check dealer inventories. The one with the largest Mazda6 inventory would be a good candidate for your first visit.

·
Registered
514 Posts

Menlo Mazda in Redwood City. I live in Sunnyvale and have visted Sunnyvale Mazda (they're just not smart); Oak Tree Mazda (they're just rude); and a few others I cannot recall. My wife and I bought a Protege5 from Andy at Menlo Mazda... he's a great guy. I don't claim him to be a Mazdaholic, but neither does he. he's just an honest, low-pressure guy that will do what he can to get you a good deal (we got a great one). In fact, we test drove a P5 at menlo months before we bought one and asked him to predict how much we could get one for. We let him know that we wouldn't buy from a place just because they could get the price $200 lower. Service is more important to us. He actually gave us an approximate quote without running our credit and we left. Two months later, we came back and insisted on buying the car from him. His respect and low-pressure tactics won the sale outright. Even with a Mazda dealership literally down the street from us, we drove a couple hours to get this one. All in all, the dealership itself is pretty good, and service dept is GREAT.

If you go see Andy, tell him Ashraf sent you. He'll appreciate it and probably treat you very well.

-Alt

·
Registered
514 Posts

PS, as for tips, do what we did. Go to Edmunds.com and print out the invoice, MSRP, and TMV price for the car and EACH OPTION so that you can calculate a target price of a particular car on the lot.

Also keep in mind that mazda has a 2% dealer holdback on their cars. That means that dealerships are given 2% of MSRP (not including dest charge) to "store" the car on the lot. Ask how long a particular car you are looking at has been on the lot. If the salesperson says "a few days, but it will sell fast" then you can use that against him when it comes to negotations. Calculate the invoice price with options, then subtract 2% from that total, and then add on what profit you feel the salesperson deserves for the sale and then add on the dest charge. Start your negotiations from there. If the salesperson asks how you came to that price, be forthcoming and show them how so they know that you know exactly how much money they're making on the sale. Don't get pushed around, and show you are informed. That way, if the deal isn't right you'll know right away and can just walk away if you wish. Salespeople generally won't stand for that.

best of luck to you,
-Alt

·
Registered
71 Posts

If you have decent credit, come over here to Dodgers County, I know a guy working at the fleet dept on one of the biggest Mazda dealership here in SoCal. I'll give you his name and phone number is you email me; but not if you're a Giants fan though :p jk. I bought a '94 RX7 at Putnam Mazda in Burlingame back in '95 (it was a demo); driving back to LA in an almost new car is an awesome experience, besides just by driving back to SF, you'll almost cover the break in period and ready for zoom-zoom :D

·
Registered
389 Posts

Originally posted by csuftitans

If you have decent credit, come over here to Dodgers County, I know a guy working at the fleet dept on one of the biggest Mazda dealership here in SoCal.  I'll give you his name and phone number is you email me; but not if you're a Giants fan though :p  jk.  I bought a '94 RX7 at Putnam Mazda in Burlingame back in '95 (it was a demo); driving back to LA in an almost new car is an awesome experience, besides just by driving back to SF, you'll almost cover the break in period and ready for zoom-zoom :D[/b]
Hey csuftitans, i was looking to buy a 6 also, but i'm much closer to the LA area. Is there any chance you could help me out also?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks for such a warm welcome and such great advice. I'll definitely hang around.

S

·
0 Posts

Originally posted by CaImPoRtTuNeR

Hey csuftitans, i was looking to buy a 6 also, but i'm much closer to the LA area. Is there any chance you could help me out also?[/b]
I bought my car in LA at Alhambra Mazda, they're really good there. Went to Irvine Mazda first but they're real jerks there. Tried to cheat a deal we agreed upon and then called next day to tell me it was my fault.

Alhambra Mazda got me a silver Mazda6i w/ sports package, premium sound package, power front drivers seat, and 5 windows tinted for a little over $23,000 out the door...

S

·
0 Posts

I've also found that buying a car via the Internet is a good way to get a deal. The dealership that contacts you will refer you to their Internet sales associate, who makes no commission off the sale. Therefore, you do not need to negotiate the price, and the car is offerred at fleet pricing.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I just mailed letters to eight local (southern California) dealers today asking for bids on exactly the car we want(6s, lapis, gray cloth, CE1, AT2, FOG, CDC, FLA, MRH, AB6, WLK); and telling them that we are cash buyers. I will let everyone know the outcome.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts