Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all are these recomended tires or not. I really like them but there price is so low im kinda of weary of them. You know how it works with cars u get what you pay for. So let me know what people think about these tires. Ill be using them to wrap some ADR M-Sport 18X7.5

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
as long as they come to you round not elliptical like mine kinda were, still working on that problem, actually,

they are sick. grip like crazy. great in the rain too.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had the same fear due to the bargain barn price, but the word of mouth on the SPTs is good so I tried them.

Eighty-one bucks apiece at TireRack. Awesome deal. DEFINITELY better wet and dry grip than the stock Pilots.

Now I'm afraid Kumho will blow up and I wont be able to afford such good tires anymore.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had the same fear due to the bargain barn price, but the word of mouth on the SPTs is good so I tried them.

Eighty-one bucks apiece at TireRack. Awesome deal. DEFINITELY better wet and dry grip than the stock Pilots.

Now I'm afraid Kumho will blow up and I wont be able to afford such good tires anymore.
[/b]
man not a negative comment yet looks like Im going to have to go with the kumho's myself. Thanks for saving me the 200 extra dollars I would have spent on the Pirelli's if I hadnt found out about the SPT's

·
Registered
199 Posts
Bang for the buck (and them some) I don't think there's a better tire. In the wet they really are amazing. Both on my 6 wagon, and on our STS Honda Civic. At the Fontana Pro Solo I had a _3_ second lead after Saturday in the wet on SPT's over Falken 615's and Yokohama Neova's. Our (then) softer setup probably helped, but the tires were amazing through puddles and the like.

I still have turns on the way to work at which it takes silly speeds to make the darn things squeal.

Hope this helps.

Kevin M.

04 Wagon

·
Registered
444 Posts
i got i dont know how you call that: "buble" after rubbing or hitting the side walk while parking...

something that never happened with the stock tires...

ride isnt as smooth as the stock ones... but handle much better... noisier

·
Registered
444 Posts
that means your tire is screwed.
[/b]

i know, within less than 1 month and i didnt remember hitting a sidewalk or pothole...

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
the out of round issue seems to have gone away for me, great tires, i love them. i need more psi in the front! 34 is too little with 225/40/18

35 is great for the rear tho.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i got i dont know how you call that: "buble" after rubbing or hitting the side walk while parking...

[/b]
Called an impact bubble. You actually pinched the sidewall with the rim and curb. Road-Hazard! Pure coincidence!!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Not to take this off topic, but does anyone know the difference between the Escta SPT, and the Escta 711's? Tire rack has a crazy ass price on the 711's in 225/50/16 trim ($53 a piece!) compared to the SPTs with a price of $70 a piece.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not to take this off topic, but does anyone know the difference between the Escta SPT, and the Escta 711's? Tire rack has a crazy ass price on the 711's in 225/50/16 trim ($53 a piece!) compared to the SPTs with a price of $70 a piece.
[/b]
The SPT's are KUMHO's Ultra-high performance summer tire and the 711 is the high performance summer tire. That is probaly the reason for the price difference.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The SPT's are KUMHO's Ultra-high performance summer tire and the 711 is the high performance summer tire. That is probaly the reason for the price difference.
[/b]
Ah, didn't even notice that, thanks for point it out. Also, I just noticed the speed rating difference, H on the 711's, no thank you.

Looks like the SPT's for me as well. Can't beat them in comparison on tire rack.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I've used many different tires so far in auto-x conditions and on the road. The truck I traded in had Fuzion ZRis and they were ok but the Kumho 712s on my 02 Z28, 711s on my 90 IROC and SPTs on my 94 Formula (over the years) have been great. The SPT has been the best in wet and dry so when I wear the stock tires out it's what I plan to buy. Tirerack.com has real tests with lap times in wet/dry so you can get an idea of their performance side to side with the competition.

·
Registered
426 Posts

[/b]
Funny you should mention a sidewall bubble, b/c I got one when I had the stockers. I ran over a reflector and got bubbled.

If the bubbled tire is on the front, you need to rotate it to the back ASAP. For financial reasons I was forced to drive on a damaged stocker for over 5k miles and the tire didnt blow and the bubble didnt even expand a single millimeter. I kept a close on it and expected to have to borrow money for one tire and end up with a mismatched set, but the sidewall held up fine. The stocker may not provide superior adhesion, but its well made apparently.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
About this Discussion
67 Replies
23 Participants
Betelgeuse
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing