Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I got my first real performance mod, a fujita CAI. Now for my car it will be daily driven 365 days a year, even in 18+ inches of snow (not too uncommon here).

Well my concern is with the filter being able to get wet. I could care less about those rainy days, but those nasty sushy days where it can build up, and worse freeeze upon parking. I know it has been said the filter becomes damp, big whoop but if it can get wet enough on a 3 degree day I don't like the situation at all.

I'm not too worried about hydrolock, yes it will take alot of water to occur. I just do not like the thought of the element wraped in metal mesh expanding and contracting. What might that do the to fabric weave?

So cheap 3.99 ebay shield time...

It fits perfectly and is stainless..

MY only concern is, am I killing the ability for CAI to bring in more air by placing such a shield in the way? I dont want to limit the few HP I might actually gain just to save my filter on three days a year. Here's a better image showing the actual size of the shield in relation to the filter, it seems lik the filter still should breath easily:

The only reason I bring this up now is because I'm a stickler for things looking right thus I'm getting the cai powder coated to match the engine bay's dull black. And I can save the 15$ and not have the shield coated as well if it's deemed worthless.. But I think it might be a nice aid to block the splashing from the tire.

Comments?!? Thanks

·
Registered
364 Posts
you'll be fine, ryceboi has a shield and has had zero problems

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
yep, i even 1-up'd you. i got the hydroshield on there as well. better to be safe than sorry. anyways, i datalogged the MAF rate with and without the shield and hydroshield and the differences are negligible. so don't worry about anything. the only issue i have been having is that the splash shield rattles against the tranny cooling coil, but i made mine and yours might be a little shorter and you don't have the same cai as me.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yep, i even 1-up'd you. i got the hydroshield on there as well. better to be safe than sorry. anyways, i datalogged the MAF rate with and without the shield and hydroshield and the differences are negligible. so don't worry about anything. the only issue i have been having is that the splash shield rattles against the tranny cooling coil, but i made mine and yours might be a little shorter and you don't have the same cai as me.
[/b]

Thank you sir, just wanted to make sure that it was worthwhile to get coated since it is another 15$.

This shield blocks the element perfectly imo. As you can see from the top the gap between the shield and the filter is tiny, the real only way for water to reach is from below. Which I think is a lil far fetched. Especially since it is about 2cm longer than the element so it would almost have to curve around the shield just to reach the element from below.

I just want to silence the voice in my head that would be talking to me in the winter if I didnt have a shield in place.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I just want to silence the voice in my head that would be talking to me in the winter if I didnt have a shield in place.
[/b]
I am worried about the same thing. I just ordered the CP-E intake, does anyone have information on a hydroshield (I assume that you mean the sock-looking thing, ryceboi) that will fit the filter they provide? I'd like to pick one up for myself.

The fact that you can see the air filter by looking into the wheel well makes me believe that if I hit a puddle it's gonna get splashed. Just want to take every precaution possible.

P.S. for 3.99 that splashguard is pretty sweet!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I put a shield on mine last year just for good measure. Of course, you still shouldn't go running through any standing water deeper than a couple of inches, or so.

P.S. Bought it at Autozone for $9.99

·
Registered
1,056 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
There really is no need for the splash guard or the hydroshield. As long as the filter doesn't get submerged in water, you will be fine. I have been running fenderwall filters in 2 different cars for many years in wet and snowy climates without any problems.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
you probably wont get water into the cylinders, but fouling the MAF is very possible. why not avoid it altogether?

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Never had a problem with the MAF either.
[/b]
I actually did on my old CSVT. I had a shortram where the filter was right under the hood's seam where it met the fender. It snowed lightly that night enough to pass the seam and pile on the filter (my hood wasnt aligned properly at that time so it was a larger than normal gap). So I turned on the car to heat it and left it there. The engine temps melted the accumulated snow and the water vapor/droplettes collected on the MAF.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Thanks awh,

what size shield did you get for the CP-E intake? Also, nice car. I'm glad you're over in Norwalk otherwise there'd be another Velocity Red Speed6 near to me which is way more modded than mine currently is! But I'd love to see your car sometime, esp. to hear the catback you've got.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I actually did on my old CSVT. I had a shortram where the filter was right under the hood's seam where it met the fender. It snowed lightly that night enough to pass the seam and pile on the filter (my hood wasnt aligned properly at that time so it was a larger than normal gap). So I turned on the car to heat it and left it there. The engine temps melted the accumulated snow and the water vapor/droplettes collected on the MAF.
[/b]
If you saw where my MAF and filter are on Mustang, you freak out on how low it is. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts