Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference between a cai thats is for manual and a cold air intake for atx. In the vendor forum rosenthal is telling met hat mazda gave specs for mtx not atx. Is there even a difference between the two trannys. And wat can i get for an atx tranny.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
don't know about the '06, but anything up until then you are safe with a CAI on either platform....bolt up just fine

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok i have an 05. Also is the mazdaspeed one for the 2.3l sound good. I mean since i am not lalowed to put an exhaust on the car because of the rents this is one of the only mods i am aloowed to do taht will give me a more agressive of a sound. 5-10 hp isnt goign to do much so im mainly in it for sound. So is the mazda one good for sound.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Ok i have an 05. Also is the mazdaspeed one for the 2.3l sound good. I mean since i am not lalowed to put an exhaust on the car because of the rents this is one of the only mods i am aloowed to do taht will give me a more agressive of a sound. 5-10 hp isnt goign to do much so im mainly in it for sound. So is the mazda one good for sound.
[/b]
I've had the CAI injen on my atx for 5 months now with no CEL's. Nothings different from the mtx. I talked to a couple others with the exact same one with a mtx and no problems.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i am a complete newb i no, but what is the fix for the cel light to come on if u have an intake and does the mazdaspeed intake sound good.

·
Registered
149 Posts
i am a complete newb i no, but what is the fix for the cel light to come on if u have an intake and does the mazdaspeed intake sound good.
[/b]
if you have a 4cyl its REAR to have a CEL. to fix it you need to trick the computer to think its stock and you can do it with a injen-fix kit but its not cheap. mazdaspeed CAI's i dont know much about, but go with aem, injen, or cpe as they are the most popular. cpe has the best gains and almost a zero percent change of a cel. cel's in this situation are not to worry but the light always being on will mess with your head. like i said with a 4cyl your pretty much fine, with the 6 cyl stay with cpe

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanx but to make my rents happy they want the dealer to install it and the mazda one my main question is will i produce the same sound quality with the mazda then the aem, also which one saoudnd the best, but not the cpe i only want to spend 200-250

·
Registered
149 Posts
ok thanx but to make my rents happy they want the dealer to install it and the mazda one my main question is will i produce the same sound quality with the mazda then the aem, also which one saoudnd the best, but not the cpe i only want to spend 200-250
[/b]
Sounds like your getting the mazdaspeed no matter what. the sound is mainly from the filter itself. there's not much of a difference IMO. experiment with different ones if you dont like the way theirs sound. mazdaspeed has quality stuff. i'm looking for rear sways from them. if you want better sound have a talk with your rents about exhaust systems. you really cant screw anything up with an AM exhaust. magnaflows sound awesome

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
exhause is out of the question. Im not set on the mazda it just seems mor epractical to ocnvince the parents it is legally there car... so i just want the most agresive sounding intake i know the cpe is but thats way to much. So i jsut want a good one.

·
Registered
149 Posts
exhause is out of the question. Im not set on the mazda it just seems mor epractical to ocnvince the parents it is legally there car... so i just want the most agresive sounding intake i know the cpe is but thats way to much. So i jsut want a good one.
[/b]
so go with the mazdaspeed. how much is the dealership gonna charge to put that in? if you dont have fog lights drill little holes in the fog light panel. it'll make it sound louder and i doubt they'll even notice.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i guess htis is the main question, if i get the mazdaspeed i ntake will it give me an agressive tone to make me happy or will i be pissed i didnt get the injen like everyone raves about. does anybody a hve a lcip of a stock 6i with teh mazdaspeed6 intake

·
Registered
814 Posts
i can vouche for the mazdaspeed cai for the 6s if it means anythign to ya....nice throaty tone. and for the upteen time...mazdaspeeds CAI IS the AEM one. :D same intake, different stickers on the pipe and that most mazda dealers like to see mazdaspeed written on the products in the engine bay.

my main question is will i produce the same sound quality with the mazda then the aem
[/b]
and BTW...my dealer quoted me 140 to install a CAI on my 6, so be aware of the prices if you go to them, although its much cheaper to do it yourself. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
couple quick things, there is no Injen fix for the 6i from cp-e, that's only for the 6s. IF the mazdaspeed part is the exact same as the AEM one, then you do chance a CEL, which there is no fix for. in most cases, a mazdaspeed part will not cause a CEL whatsoever, which is why i'd guess it's not the same as AEM.

the gains will be minimal, but there would be no more than 4hp difference between all of the intakes for the 6i....so just get what you want. so i'd recommend the mazdaspeed intake if it's already an option in your eyes.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,573 Posts
I don't understand why it says the MazdaSpeed CAI is not for the 06 6i. There were no powertrain changes for 06, only interior changes right??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok i just wanted to make sure the mazdspped cai wasn t really quite and couldn't here. Also wat does the cel really mean i know its hceck engine light but y does that go on. I am a newb i know.

·
Registered
2017 MZ6 GT Jet Black Mica
3,573 Posts
ok i just wanted to make sure the mazdspped cai wasn t really quite and couldn't here. Also wat does the cel really mean i know its hceck engine light but y does that go on. I am a newb i know.
[/b]
The CAI could be for different reasons. My guess would be the CAI is forcing more air into the engine, and the computer doesn't like that. I could be wrong though...

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i was quoted for 133 for the dealer to install the CAI, i have heard mixed reviews on the sound some say it sounds really good, and others say they can barley hear it. as for me i am going with the mazdaspeed CAI and have the dealer install it for the same reason. since my parents legally own the car they dont want to do anything to f up the warranty. but i also would like to hear a sound clip.

·
Premium Member
9,080 Posts
quick heads up, it makes no difference if a dealer installs the intake or not, it won't make it any more warrantiable. the intake is listed as a "green" mod, which just means that the actual intake has to go through testing before it can be labled as a speed product....or to that effect.

the CEL that comes from the intake is typically lean at idle or lean at light load....something like that. the intake does nothing to force more air into the engine, it's just a pipe. what it does is allow more air into the engine, and with many intakes, that means a larger pipe and the MAF sensor is unable to read the air correctly. the lean condition is not under load and poses no threats, out ecu's are just touchy

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i no it doesnt matter its just im 17 and my parents would feel more comforabtle if the dealership did it, does anyone have a stock 6i with the mazdaspeed cai

1 - 20 of 32 Posts