Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what the average rate of pricing to install a K&N Typhoon CAI? Average body shops charge 70usd an hour. I got a quote for 120usd. Is that okay? Please, let me know...

·
Registered
574 Posts
Does anyone know what the average rate of pricing to install a K&N Typhoon CAI? Average body shops charge 70usd an hour. I got a quote for 120usd. Is that okay? Please, let me know...
[/b]

doing it yourself = free.. it shouldnt take almost 2 hours for a professional to do it thats for sure... maybe... and thats a stretch maybe.. an hour.

·
Registered
235 Posts
That doesnt seem to bad.

However as most people here would aggre with, It could be done $120 cheaper if done yourself.

Did you already purchase the K&N?

·
Registered
470 Posts
I would not pay 50 bucks for someone to install it. It seriously takes about 15 minutes if you do not uninstall the bumper. However it does make things a little bit easier.

Go to Mazda6tech.com and click on their How To's. You will print one for bumper removal (first time I did it took about 10 minutes). And also install Injen CAI or something (will be same for K&N). This will take another 10 minutes (at max). I would say to be on safe side set an hour aside, but that should include removal, install, and put back together.

Why you putting on the K&N? I would suggest DIY, and take the 120 and buy either the Injen CAI with CPE fix or complete CPE CAI system.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys all know I'm a newbie... So, yeah I made the mistake of buying the weakest CAI and yes, I got it in a box here on my desk. I didn't research the CP-E until yesterday or so, but I'll just upgrade in a few months. Is the CP-E MAF Customizer compatible with the K&N or do I wait to get get both CP-E intake and Customizer?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Install it yourself...it's easy and help is always available from the board.

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah...... I looked over the how to' and it doesn't look like a 10 min job with my low expertice. Anyone in the Va Beach area? I guess I'll give it a go, but mind you... I struggled with the body kit alone. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah...... I looked over the how to' and it doesn't look like a 10 min job with my low expertice. Anyone in the Va Beach area? I guess I'll give it a go, but mind you... I struggled with the body kit alone. Thanks for the help guys.
[/b]

The bumber removal is like 15 screws and the CAI is even easier then doing the unscrewing. You literally just snap out the airbox, undo some hoses, then place your CAI in its place. This can all be done with bumber on, but to remove the resinator and install the filter it is a bit easier with bumper gone...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Just take your time and plan ahead (tools, time, workspace, internet connection). Once you pull the airbox (and it's really easy) just follow the hose diagram instructions. It looks like a lot but it's not that bad. If you get stuck, ask here. Just think of the bucks you'll save. :D

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, Okay... *Hangs his head in shame. Sadly says, "I do it myself."

Before I let this thread die, I just wanted to be honest. I was hoping to install this right after I got off of work and still be home in time for my wife not to notice. Kinda hiding this mod from her and if I don't get it done today I won't be able to get it done til' next month. Really puts a cramp in my plans. Thanks, again.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Okay, Okay... *Hangs his head in shame. Sadly says, "I do it myself."

Before I let this thread die, I just wanted to be honest. I was hoping to install this right after I got off of work and still be home in time for my wife not to notice. Kinda hiding this mod from her and if I don't get it done today I won't be able to get it done til' next month. Really puts a cramp in my plans. Thanks, again.
[/b]

tell her it is for better gas milage and better emissions b/c you love the enviroment.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
tell her it is for better gas milage and better emissions b/c you love the enviroment.
[/b]
Nice. :D

I would add "because you love her too".

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Yeah, then later she asks "Why are you making your car louder if you love me?" Once she actually hears it. :nana:
[/b]
Then you say: "because I want everyone to look at the car and see you in it cuz you're the best part about the car". :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Then you say: "because I want everyone to look at the car and see you in it cuz you're the best part about the car". :D
[/b]
Then she gives you the "You honestly expect me to buy that cheesy excuse?" look. You know the one I'm talking about!

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was the first mod I completed by myself on my car and it turned out to be alot easier than it seemed the first time I read the instructions. Take a print out of the how to out to your car and read it while you are looking at your engine. Read it 3 or 4 times before you do anything.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
K&N install is slightly more complicated than AEM. However if you're taking your time, it should take you about 1-2 hours.

I know that some people say it's a 10 minutes job. If you do it haphazardly then yes, it's 10 minutes job. But I rather install it right and not miss anything so it took me about an hour.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Status on the install?

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Sorry guys... I was out buying a new computer system and I haven't got it all worked out, but yeah... Got the K&N in. Just to stay on the safe side I had a friend from work help me out. Okay, he walked me through it. Kinda got it down. Sounds nice. The wife even notice it on the freeway, but later I opened the hood to put in some windshield wiper fluid and she just looked and looked away. LOL... Hope I can get away with changing out the exhaust system next week. Thanks again guys...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts