Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting the Mazdaspeed CAI and want to see what's a fair price for installing it. I want it done by the dealer so there's no question that I didn't do it right and can't they try to deny my warranty (yes, I know they technically can't do that if I do it myself, but I'd prefer to avoid the entire issue from the get-go).

When I picked up the car from the shop today, they said once it arrives it'd cost about 2 hours labor. I know that can't be right as many of you who have done it yourself say it's like 45 minutes. So what have other people paid? Is $100 fair, expensive or too low? I'm thinking that sounds about right, personally....

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Holy shit a $100 for a CAI installation? Save your money, they can't deny warranty if you did it yourself.

·
Registered
436 Posts
It's likely less than 30 minutes for a moderately skilled home mechanic to do it, so if you pay for 2 hours labour, you're getting hosed.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I jsut got my mazdaspeed cai too, and installed it myself, it's pretty easy, but if you are just not comfortable doing it, the dealer is gonna try to rip you off. I went my mazda dealer and they told me it'll take 2 hours and they'll charge me $218 (tax included). I paid $225 for my cai thru the GB, wtf?? I almost started laughing when he told me how much it was. Try different dealers if you want to go thta way...

·
Registered
451 Posts
I jsut got my mazdaspeed cai too, and installed it myself, it's pretty easy, but if you are just not comfortable doing it, the dealer is gonna try to rip you off. I went my mazda dealer and they told me it'll take 2 hours and they'll charge me $218 (tax included). I paid $225 for my cai thru the GB, wtf?? I almost started laughing when he told me how much it was. Try different dealers if you want to go thta way...
[/b]

hahaha, i was quoted by a shop as half a day's labor and 275 to install my autoexe springs... 225 for the install, and 50 for the alignment b/c he knows my boss... i was like hahahahahahahahaaha.... i wasn't going to do it myself for time reasons, but i am now!!!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I jsut got my mazdaspeed cai too, and installed it myself, it's pretty easy, but if you are just not comfortable doing it, the dealer is gonna try to rip you off. I went my mazda dealer and they told me it'll take 2 hours and they'll charge me $218 (tax included). I paid $225 for my cai thru the GB, wtf?? I almost started laughing when he told me how much it was. Did they say they were gonna do it for $100 or that was just what you think they should charge??
[/b]
Naw, they said "about 2 hours labor", which I'm assuming is the book-labor cost, even if it's much less in actual time. As for the $100, that seems like a fair price, being a novice mechanic it'd probably end up taking me longer than 2 hours and I make more than that in 2 hours in salary - so the trade-off seems equitable :)

It's like the mowing your yard scenario, I can do it in about 2 hours, including edging and blowing, but I have a crew that will do it for $45, so what's the better deal????? I pay either way, but one is an easier solution :D

[/b]
Damn, $225?! Now I feel like I'm, getting ripped at $281! Who did you order it through? I haven't paid for the CAI yet as they don't want payment until I pick it up, so I'd be willing to let them order it and have to sit on it. Serves 'em right anyway :nana:

Seriously, let me know where you got 225, I'll do that in a sec!!!

Thanks!

·
Registered
867 Posts
dude DON'T DO IT! I'm 16 and installed my CAI w/the help of tools at my school and that was the first time I ever really worked with the car. It took my 2 hours taking my time and that was because I was inexperienced with this kind of stuff. You can do it!

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Holy shit a $100 for a CAI installation? Save your money, they can't deny warranty if you did it yourself.
[/b]
I want to agree with you, but the BS I've had to deal with already in having them look at my hesitation problem makes me averse to even trying it myself. Dealerships suck!!! :swearin:

Does anyone in Austin know a good shade-tree mechanic - lol

dude DON'T DO IT! I'm 16 and installed my CAI w/the help of tools at my school and that was the first time I ever really worked with the car. It took my 2 hours taking my time and that was because I was inexperienced with this kind of stuff. You can do it!
[/b]
Damn, now I feel old and dumb - LOL

·
Registered
251 Posts
Naw, they said "about 2 hours labor", which I'm assuming is the book-labor cost, even if it's much less in actual time. As for the $100, that seems like a fair price, being a novice mechanic it'd probably end up taking me longer than 2 hours and I make more than that in 2 hours in salary - so the trade-off seems equitable :)

It's like the mowing your yard scenario, I can do it in about 2 hours, including edging and blowing, but I have a crew that will do it for $45, so what's the better deal????? I pay either way, but one is an easier solution :D
Damn, $225?! Now I feel like I'm, getting ripped at $281! Who did you order it through? I haven't paid for the CAI yet as they don't want payment until I pick it up, so I'd be willing to let them order it and have to sit on it. Serves 'em right anyway :nana:

Seriously, let me know where you got 225, I'll do that in a sec!!!

Thanks!
[/b]
Well have in mind that my car is not a Speed6. It's a 6i which makes the cai cheaper :nana: I got it thru the group buy that was going on here on the forums. It's already closed but i think they gonna keep it open only for Speed6 CAIs. Check the GB section. And it took me about 4 hours to do the install, mainly cuz of the bad weather and my lack of tools :sarc: (all the tools were in my dad's truck and he went to work all day)

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well have in mind that my car is not a Speed6. It's a 6i which makes the cai cheaper :nana: I got it thru the group buy that was going on here on the forums. It's already closed but i think they gonna keep it open only for Speed6 CAIs. Check the GB section. And it took me about 4 hours to do the install, mainly cuz of the bad weather and my lack of tools :sarc: (all the tools were in my dad's truck and he went to work all day)
[/b]
The thing I've heard is that the MS6 is more of a pain to install the CAI on then the 6i, mainly because of the silencer and the difficulty in removing that and the airbox. Being like you, an amateur, I could see your 4 hours turning into my entire Saturday - hehe

seriously, I'm just looking for what would be a fair price to pay.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I'm getting the Mazdaspeed CAI and want to see what's a fair price for installing it. I want it done by the dealer so there's no question that I didn't do it right and can't they try to deny my warranty (yes, I know they technically can't do that if I do it myself, but I'd prefer to avoid the entire issue from the get-go).

When I picked up the car from the shop today, they said once it arrives it'd cost about 2 hours labor. I know that can't be right as many of you who have done it yourself say it's like 45 minutes. So what have other people paid? Is $100 fair, expensive or too low? I'm thinking that sounds about right, personally....

Thanks in advance
[/b]

Mazda still can void your warranty claim if you have engine problems due to the CAI. The Mazdaspeed CAI does not keep your warranty intact - it is not a Blue part under the Mazdaspeed parts catagory - those are the only parts that keep your new vehicle warranty intact.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDispl...mp;categoryId=3

I would put it on yourself.

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
WOW....The custom shop around us wanted to charge us 45 bux for the install of ours but we got out of the cost. But we have an 03 *shrug*.

But if the install is more intensive, I think 100 from the dealer is not a bad price where the NY per hour rate is around 70-90 depending where you go and who you know.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mazda still can void your warranty claim if you have engine problems due to the CAI. The Mazdaspeed CAI does not keep your warranty intact - it is not a Blue part under the Mazdaspeed parts catagory - those are the only parts that keep your new vehicle warranty intact.

http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/speedDispl...mp;categoryId=3

I would put it on yourself.
[/b]
Actually it's listed as a Green level mod, so if it's done by Mazda I have no idea how they could void the warranty

·
Registered
65 Posts
The thing I've heard is that the MS6 is more of a pain to install the CAI on then the 6i, mainly because of the silencer and the difficulty in removing that and the airbox. Being like you, an amateur, I could see your 4 hours turning into my entire Saturday - hehe

seriously, I'm just looking for what would be a fair price to pay.
[/b]
go to the zoo, drive your car up to the monkey exhibit and throw the instructions at them. Go get a lemonade and when you come back, it will be done...

If you have a basic socket set, it will take you an hour at the most. If I were you, i'd go into the local lube shop and ask some kid if he'd do it after work for $50. My guess is that he'd probably do it for a case of beer.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I agree...try to do it yourself. I have a 6s and the hardest thing in my opinion was getting the old airbox out. honestly though a hundred bucks doesnt sound bad...if you got the money. If nothing else it is peace of mind for you. Next week I am getting the sways put on at my dealer, I haven't even asked how much that will be, but I am preparing to be bent over. But, thats something I wouldn't try myself in my driveway, so if you feel that way about the CAI, best to do what you gotta do. Look at this way, as long as it gets installed somehow, the fun can begin. Its only money LOL.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Actually it's listed as a Green level mod, so if it's done by Mazda I have no idea how they could void the warranty
[/b]
exactly - you are correct. A green level mod does not keep your factory waranty when installed. It only has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on the part itself. A Blue level mod is the "best" one to have as it keeps your factory warranty intact. I posted the link....is it too much for you to read it? here...I will post the info here for the slower among us

Blue Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Blue" Performance Accessories must be installed by a MAZDASPEED Dealer on a US specification vehicle and be specifically approved by Mazda for the particular application. These parts are covered under the Mazda Replacement Parts and Accessories Limited Warranty and are warranted for the first 12 months/12,000 miles from the date of installation or the duration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, whichever is longer. Should the parts be purchased but not installed by a MAZDASPEED Dealer, they will be covered for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor charges. Parts or accessories replaced/installed under warranty, are covered for the time remaining in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Green Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Green" Performance Accessories must be specifically approved by Mazda for their particular application. These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor.
Orange Warranty

MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories are sold "as is" without any warranty of any kind. All implied warranties, including all warranties of merchantability of fitness for a particular purpose, are excluded. Purchaser acknowledges that no representations have been made regarding these parts, including but not limited to any representations as to their quality of performance, and purchaser shall be responsible for and bear all costs of repair of replacement due to any defect in or failure of these parts or any damage to other components. Purchaser acknowledges that vehicles equipped with MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories shall not be operated on public highways. MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories are intended solely for the use on vehicles participating in race/off-road competition events. Purchaser acknowledges that all Mazda vehicle/parts/accessory warranties are voided if the vehicle is used in a competitive event. Purchaser also acknowledges that there will be no warranty coverage for any part or accessory that fails as a result of the installation of a MAZDASPEED "Orange" performance part. Purchaser accepts all responsibility for all vehicle modifications and all potential risks. MAZDASPEED "Orange" Performance Accessories have been designed and are intended for race/offroad applications only. Federal and many state laws prohibit the removal, modification of, or rendering inoperative any part or vehicle system affecting emissions or safety.
What Is Not Covered

* Damage or corrosion due to accidents, misuse, or alterations.
* Damage or surface corrosion from the environment such as acid rain, airborne fallout (chemicals, tree sap), stones, salt road hazards, hail, wind storm, lightning, floors and other natural disaster.
* Normal wear, tear or deterioration such as discoloration, fading, deformation, blurring, etc.
* Replacement parts or accessories installed on any Mazda Vehicle registered or normally operated outside of the United States, Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, Saipan or American Samoa.
* Replacement parts, or accessories installed on a Mazda Vehicle in which the odometer has been altered, or on which the actual mileage cannot be readily determined.
* Replacement parts or accessories used in applications for which they are not designed.
* Replacement parts or accessories installed improperly by dealers, Importer/Distributor other than Mazda.
* Any replacement part or accessory without proof of purchase or replacement date.
* Non-Mazda replacement parts or accessories which Mazda Dealers may sell or install on your Mazda Vehicle.
* If the vehicle has been classified a total loss and/or sold for salvage purposes or branded for any other reasons.
* Removal of the vehicle from the warranty covered market for which it was produced.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
exactly - you are correct. A green level mod does not keep your factory waranty when installed. It only has a 12 month/12000 mile warranty on the part itself. A Blue level mod is the "best" one to have as it keeps your factory warranty intact. I posted the link....is it too much for you to read it? here...I will post the info here for the slower among us

GTO, are you bitching at me for not knowing the level of warranty, or others? Sorry, but your post seems to half defend my position and half beeyach me out. Sorry, I've had a few beers so maybe I'm not aligned

·
Registered
788 Posts
ls1gto/ms6/g35x "These parts are warranted for the first 12-months/12,000 miles from the date of purchase, excluding labor." As you can see it states "these parts", meaning the green warranty parts that you purchase for the car are only covered for the 12-months/12,000 miles...it makes no mention of the standard factory warranty on the vehicle, because no matter what factory warranty is left on the vehicle, you will only get the 12 months/12,000 miles on the parts themselves, it doesn't say that it VOIDS your existing warranty on the other parts on the car, so be clear please, so people are not confused by your statements...The only difference between blue and green warranty is that if a blue parts fails, it will be covered until the new vehicle warranty expires or 12 months/12,000 miles if the new vehicle warranty is finished...you may have been saying the same thing I was, I just wanted to provide some extra clarification because I could see where some people might misunderstand your statements...

·
Registered
76 Posts
What i would do if i were you: do the airbox/resonator mod ahead of time. That way, once you get your CAI in, it wont take but 10 mins (if that) to install.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts