Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have removed the resonator and the junk on and in the bottom of the airbox. Would it be worth it to put the CAI on? I'm having this never ending debate on what will make the most difference for the least money. I hear quite a few say they noticed a definite performance gain and others say SOTP wasn't much different with a CAI. I'm about getting down the track faster period. I've also read some put in a manual boost controller, but I don't know much about them, wondering if that actually works and is safe. I've considered the Magnaflow catback, but my wife will kill me if it sounds dramatically louder or ricey. I also probably have just enough for the ATP DP, but would prefer the CPE due to CEL being eliminated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have removed the resonator and the junk on and in the bottom of the airbox. Would it be worth it to put the CAI on? I'm having this never ending debate on what will make the most difference for the least money. I hear quite a few say they noticed a definite performance gain and others say SOTP wasn't much different with a CAI. I'm about getting down the track faster period. I've also read some put in a manual boost controller, but I don't know much about them, wondering if that actually works and is safe. I've considered the Magnaflow catback, but my wife will kill me if it sounds dramatically louder or ricey. I also probably have just enough for the ATP DP, but would prefer the CPE due to CEL being eliminated.
[/b]
This has been argued a lot around here. I personally feel that a CAI is nothing more than a "noise maker". I think I may have lost power going from gutted airbox to the Fujita. I definately didn't gain anything.

Go with the MBC. You WILL notice that gain.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I would say the CAI isn't going to get you a SOTP difference IMO.

It didn't for me. THe claimed 20whp doesn't seem to exist, generally if you extract 20whp from a car, I can feel it.

I could be wrong, but it seems like the SOTP gain many note is the 'placebo' effect.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Well, I feel a difference. Never did the airbox mod. Of course took the resonator out, felt a complete difference to me. More throttle response and it sounded awesome. Sorry to make my reply even more confusing to you but there is a difference for me I have the BOMZ racing intake. Looks like a replica of the Injen.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Well, I feel a difference. Never did the airbox mod. Of course took the resonator out, felt a complete difference to me. More throttle response and it sounded awesome. Sorry to make my reply even more confusing to you but there is a difference for me I have the BOMZ racing intake. Looks like a replica of the Injen.
[/b]
Maybe on a N/A Mazda6 you would feel a difference. However, this is a SPEED6 and on said vehicle there is litle to no gains from a CAI. Buy the ATP turbo inlet adapter. You'll probably get more from that.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have taken 2 speed6 owners on rides that do not have a CAI and both told me that they feel alot more pull through all the gears then there cars, which I feel as well. I also get more boost after 5500 rmps where as it used to fall off now goes to 6500.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I can feel a difference with the cai, but it's not a huge difference. SOTP I'd say is about the difference between driving alone and driving with 3 other adults in the car.

I never tried the airbox mod but I'd guess it provides similar gains.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the replies. As for my MPG, this tank I got 22.5 with the airbox gutted, aggressive driving. Even had quite a few WOT runs.
The tuning really makes the BIG gain, but by the time I have $1000, the CP-E and Cobb will be out for less jack. How loud is the Magnaflow? I thought I saw it for $414.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Maybe on a N/A Mazda6 you would feel a difference. However, this is a SPEED6 and on said vehicle there is litle to no gains from a CAI. Buy the ATP turbo inlet adapter. You'll probably get more from that.[/b]
My bad somehow didn't see the topic mazdaspeed

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I posted this the other day in a different thread:

If you don't think that it makes a difference, take a look at my trap speed in my sig. I don't know of any stock speed6's running over 101 mph. I know it's not definitive proof because other conditions are obviously at play, but I should add that other speed6's were at the track that day, none of whom went over 99. CAI is my only mod.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That would mean around 20-25 hp, but the thing that matters to me is et, and there are stock ones running 13.7-13.8's.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you don't think that it makes a difference, take a look at my trap speed in my sig. I don't know of any stock speed6's running over 101 mph. I know it's not definitive proof because other conditions are obviously at play, but I should add that other speed6's were at the track that day, none of whom went over 99. CAI is my only mod.
[/b]
I have a CAI and my trap is only 96mph

·
Registered
679 Posts
[/b]

I think it was the Starmate.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I am sure the HP ratings for CAI's are exaggerated, but I bet they yield around 10HP. The thing to remember, the CAI will only help once the mods start to get put on the car.

Not to mention the sound is worht the price!

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Yes, the sound is pretty cool most of the time. Definetely not a mod that I regret.

I can see it being worth more if there was a larger turbo on the car.

BUt I still sort of don't think it will net close to 20whp?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That would mean around 20-25 hp, but the thing that matters to me is et, and there are stock ones running 13.7-13.8's. [/b]
Only reason Im not running ~13.5's is because I am not good enough at launching to get my 60's down below 1.95x. If I could get a 1.8 or even a 1.7 like mmarfan I imagine i would run 13.5 at 101 or so. I've only got 10 runs at the track lifetime (in any car) so come spring I think I should be posting some better times. Plus, I think that trap speed is a better indicator of overall hp than ET - for example, my fastest trap was on a 14.2 run with a 2.2 60'.

And for the record, the starmate adds 12.5 whp.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Word. I've been doing it in RWD cars since 1995 off and on. Looking forward to trying this car, doubt I do as good as you have. I tried a couple of launches on the street last night and found it seems to do best "slipping" the clutch. Any sudden release bogs it down.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
alittle off topic

forest

will your cali fit with the new turbo?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
alittle off topic

forest

will your cali fit with the new turbo?
[/b]
I seriously doubt it. I didn't check, but a reducer comes with the the kit to mount on the turbo inlet. I'm not sure of it's diameter but I believe it's a 4 inch for the turbo down to a 3 inch for the intake tract. I don't think any CAIs are 3 inches, save for the intake CPE made for the MazdaSpeed3.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts