Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should be getting my Mazdaspeed CAI (orderd from www.jimclickmazda.com through a group buy) in 2 days, and i know a few of the guys have this cover (condum like..lol) on the filter whcih prevents from water getting into it for added protection....

i need to know
1-what that thing is called
2-where i could get it from
3-what is a good price for it

Thank You,
Adeel

·
Registered
113 Posts
Injen Hydro Shield. Don't know how much it costs as I don't run one, but you could probably find a price with a search now that you know the name.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use one, wanted some protection being from Vancouver. We get quite a bit of rain here. I paid $40 cdn here from a shop up here. You can find it cheaper on the web for around 25 USD. There is a slight loss in power as it is a little restricted, but not by much and not too noticeble. You can still hear the CAI.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the million dollar question is that does it work? lol

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'll check out the links...

thanks for the quick responces....

-Adeel

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just orderd it! :) thanks guys

·
Registered
94 Posts
i think they are lame and a waste of money. i dont know about the decrease in performance. i do know that the decrease in sound on my 6s was incredibly noticeable. the trick is not to drive through a foot of standing water. its pretty easy. beyond that, are we sure they actually work? what happens if you submerse your intake in water with the cover?

·
Registered
814 Posts
most people say they are a waste...i would agree. not knocking the people who have it, but the benefits are minimal...if that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
what else if anything are you guys doing for water protection. Covering the wheelwell vent?

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I thought about getting one for my car, but read too much about a 10-15% decrease in airflow on various forums. Right or wrong, it concerned me enough to not put one over the filter.

Decided that I'm going to cover the vents on the wheel well as that's where 95% of the water that gets on the filter comes from. I was going to do this last weekend, but it wasn't raining and I got side tracked :)

When the new wheels get here tomorrow or Wednesday, I'll have the wheel off anyway so will likely do the mod then. Will post pics of the fix once it's done, whenever that is :D

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
35,000 miles with the CP-E MAFci kit (no hydroshield, no covering wheel wells, etc.) and I've been through snow, slush, wind, torrential rain, tropical storms, nor'easters, etc. and still no hydrolock thus far. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
35,000 miles with the CP-E MAFci kit (no hydroshield, no covering wheel wells, etc.) and I've been through snow, slush, wind, torrential rain, tropical storms, nor'easters, etc. and still no hydrolock thus far. :)
[/b]
Boo-ya baby! Thats what I like to hear! NJ has been throwing me some crap lately too...and (knock on wood)...I have yet to take any precautions either.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts