Votes: 0 0.0%
  • On

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a general question about CAI and automatic car washes. Do u guys turn off the engine or leave it running, especially if it does the under carriage. :drive:

Poll question(Look up :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Does anyone use a hydro shield cover over the air filter?

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
I keep mine on when I use the autowash's. BUt I try to stay away from them as much as posible as they are basically a waste of money except in the winter when it's to cold to get out and wash the salt and crap off..

I havn't had a problem in about 6 months or more of having the CPE MFACI. and I removed all of the grill inserts so it is wide open to my airfilter...

Any water that isn't first absorbed by the intake still has to travel all the way through the pipe. THEN on top o fthat it still has to go through extremely high heat. Which will evaporate ane burn off any water.

Then even after that, you still need enough left to cause any damage. It's not going to happen unless you are the very few unlucky people.

I won't say something bad CAN'T happen. but the odds are for you that it won't. The problem comes wen you actually insert the hole filter in to water which gives it suction to actually force up large amounts of air.. when then you are screwd

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I never really gave it much thought, but I've done both. Mostly keep it runnin', but on Friday I turned it off. Yes, it has an under carriage wash and no on the hydro cover.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I always leave mine running because its not high standing water and thats when problems can occur. I also have the hydro shield which works really well. I once held the filter with the hydroshiled on up against a garden hose going full blast and not a drop of water got in, so in short I don't worry about car washes...

·
Registered
110 Posts
I always leave mine running because its not high standing water and thats when problems can occur. I also have the hydro shield which works really well. I once held the filter with the hydroshiled on up against a garden hose going full blast and not a drop of water got in, so in short I don't worry about car washes...
[/b]

Thats a bold strategy, haha. But I only had one problem at night during a flash flood i ran through really deep water that I couldnt see and the intake sucked up some water. However, I got really lucky and made it home than let it sit overnight and ran it at high RPMS and everything has been alright since.

·
Registered
212 Posts
haha The filter was off the intake and in my hand when I sprayed it if thats why you say thats not a good strategy.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Thats a bold strategy, haha. But I only had one problem at night during a flash flood i ran through really deep water that I couldnt see and the intake sucked up some water. However, I got really lucky and made it home than let it sit overnight and ran it at high RPMS and everything has been alright since.
[/b]
If you drove through a puddle big enough that allowed the intake to actually be submersed and suck up water in to it. You wouldn't have made it home. Hydrolock happens right away. not gradually over time..

You probably just got the filter wet from splashing water but didn't get anything more then a small fine mist sucked up that burned off. Not actaully sucking any water up in to it though.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know AEM an d some others sells a CAI bypass valve...Looks like a doughnut and let the enige suck air throught the valve (place higher up in the enigne bay) when the pressure get too great to suck through the filter ie. if your in a deep puddle!
gonna look into gettin one of these for myslef!

ps. i keep the engine running @ the carwash!

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
I know AEM an d some others sells a CAI bypass valve...Looks like a doughnut and let the enige suck air throught the valve (place higher up in the enigne bay) when the pressure get too great to suck through the filter ie. if your in a deep puddle!
gonna look into gettin one of these for myslef!

ps. i keep the engine running @ the carwash!
[/b]

Where did you find this? It doesn't sound like a good investment unless you plan on modding your 6 into a hydro craft. Driving through puddles? What ever happened to just going around the lake and not into one? CAIs are nothing to be afraid of. Just use common sense.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Where did you find this? It doesn't sound like a good investment unless you plan on modding your 6 into a hydro craft. Driving through puddles? What ever happened to just going around the lake and not into one? CAIs are nothing to be afraid of. Just use common sense.
[/b]
+1

I've heard more negative things about this anyways. how it's pointless so on. and I kno wyou can't use it with the CPE MAFCI at all.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i dont have the hydro cover, but i have the heat shield. Maybe it is the same thing.

I bought the heat shield, not against the heat but water.

I leave the engin on, but i try to avoid the CAI area as much as possible.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Not another hydrolock thread... :sarc:

Insert Raynman's obligatory "I've logged about 39K miles in the span of 1.5 yrs with my MAFci through puddles, rain, sleet, snow, slush, nor'easters, tropical storms, etc. with no hydrolock" comment.

After what I've driven through, car washes are the least of my worries.

BTW Yes, I have had my car in car washes with the engine on countless times.

·
Registered
389 Posts
20 bucks sounds like a great investment to me! Probably never gonna wind up getting it myself cuz of the different tube sizes...but just to let poeple who are concerned know there are options out there.

The lower we make our cars the more suspeptable they are to puddles...I've never had a problem with my CAI but my friend who takes the same route as i do to work has had his engine stall in a puddle!

i don't think the vacuum is enough to suck up water...its just the hassle of a stalling engine in the middle of a puddle...i wouldn't want to push my way out of it!

[/b]

1 - 14 of 14 Posts