Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took my 6 to the dealer yesterday to have them check out the tranny because it was slipping and banging from first into second gear, almost as if getting hit from behind. A whole day and a half later I went to check up on my 6 and they told me that they couldn't replicate the problem but that they did find that the tranny was having probs with the gear shifts. Now their waiting for tech support to tell them whether the cai has anything to do with the problem in order to proceed and how to proceed. If they say yes I'm screwed. I have just installed the cai 2 weeks ago but I have had this problem before about 2 years ago and they updated the computer and that seemed to help, but occasionally it happened again, it just seemed that when I installed the cai it got worse. What do you guys think? I sweating it out here.

·
Registered
814 Posts
What intake is it, and is the filter exposed at all to forced air?

·
Registered
421 Posts
my car does this tooo...its a hard knock of the gears. It feels as if the gear slips and then catches almost as if doing a "neutral drop" if you will. I had my injen CAI in and it was doing this knocking bad and then i took it out and it wasnt quite as bad but still bery noticable. Everytime i take it to the dealer to show them the problem i can never get it to knock for them. As soon as i leave the dealer it does it of course. Everytime it happens i look in my rear view to look for my tranny just sitting in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an injen intake with the wind shield installed and my situation is exactly the same as sport5888. Also a cel hasn't even been thrown, the mechanic even agreed that there's no cel on.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
The intake shouldnt have anything to do with it. The reason why u may think its more noticeable with the intake on is maybe some hp difference or maybe its all in your head. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I sure as hell hope its all in my head. Regardless, at least they know something's not right with the tranny this time, considering that this is the second time I told them about this prob. It just threw the notorious cel everyone talks about. Iknew it would happen, I was just hoping not yet.

·
Registered
814 Posts
is the shield on because it is exposed to forced air directly? The only reason I ask is because for a short time my car (6s) felt as if it was getting kicked in the ass at around 4th gear. It happened because genius me removed the grill insert in front of the filter and apparently created a dump load of turbulence at certain RPMs...causing my car to essentially jump between gears like it was going down a hill and tip toe around limp mode. I did not get a CEL either, well...once, but it went on and off instantly due to the change the MAF was getting constantly. I replaced the grill to protect the CAI from the direct force of wind and bingo...running like a top.

you wouldn't want it be that simple and have the dealer slap your hand for no reason ya know.

Just my two cents...hope it all works out.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The PCM uses many variables to decide when and how the automatic transmission should shift. Engine RPMs, throttle position, and intake manifold pressure (or vacuum if you prefer) are factors in most designs. I'm not sure about the auto in the 6, but I would assume that it uses manifold pressure as well. If that assumption is correct, then the CAI would almost certainly affect when and how the transmission shifts.

There's one easy way to find out if the CAI is contributing to the problem. Take it off and put the stock airbox back on temporarily to see what happens.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually I don't believe that the filter is exposed to forced air directly. I'm still waiting for the service rep to call me back and let me know whats going on and I am considering removing the cai. Thanks for all you replies.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Let us know how it goes.

I just installed an Injen intake 3 weeks ago and I have started to notice something similar between the 2-3 shift. It's not slamming (at least I don't think it does because I don't drive hard), but the clutch or what ever it is disengages, then it takes a second or 2 for third gear to kick on. It only happens between the 2-3 shift when it is on auto mode. If I put it in manual/auto, then it shifts fine. I want to take it to the dealer but I don't want the intake to void the warrenty (I live in an apt. and they don't allow us to work on cars in the parking lot or else I would switch back to stock)

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
MY car shifted this way. I took it i and had the ECU flashed and I have never had that problem since. But going from first to second and morely from Second to third. It'd be a rough shift and feel as if I got hit from behind before.

Been about 10 months since the flash and it hasn't even remotley returned.. I got the flash which eliminated this problem before I got my CP-e CAI installed though. So I can't say how it felt WITH the CAI...

Also, I do not have the grill inserts in. So the wind is hitting my intake directly. and I havn't had this issue once with my intake on. and I've been running the CPE for around 8 months. Theres alot of members here with either: no grill inserts, or mesh replacing the inserts (still air blowing directly on the filter). without any problems..

I really do not think the issue described above is an intake issue. Otherwise we'd be hearing about this alot. since 99% of this board is running a CAI of some sort. The majority of members that have had this exact same problem, Have gotten it fixed with a simple flash and update of the computer from the dealer. I beleive a TSB was even issued regarding this for 03-05 ATX's.

Like I said before. I had this exact same issue. It was annoying as hell too. Havn't had it occur since the update at all. With and without the CAI. I still have the annoying throtle response lag though lol. but thats here to stay no matter what pretty much.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well its been four days since the dealer said they would notify me when their techs called them but nothing yet. I'm thinking that they just blew me off or something. I have my car in my posession and it only knocked a couple of times since. The guy at the dealer saind that my car already had all the updates so there was no recent flash that they could do. I'm going to give them a call on Monday because I'll be busy all weekend, but as soon as I get some more info I'll post and let everyone know how it goes.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I only have teh air box mod done, and i get this from time to time going from 2-3, it went away after a recent reflash of the tcm,

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I only have teh air box mod done, and i get this from time to time going from 2-3, it went away after a recent reflash of the tcm,
[/b]
i don't know why, but when i got mine reflashed... the car shifted very smoothly, but after a few months... it went back to sh*t again. anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. I didn't get to calling the dealer because i was changing the brake pads fo the first time ever, but I do notice that the problem that I've was having hasn't happened since last week. I don't know what's up? Perhaps the computer had to get used to the way I drive? Oh well, I really hope it keeps it up.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Let us know how it goes.

I just installed an Injen intake 3 weeks ago and I have started to notice something similar between the 2-3 shift. It's not slamming (at least I don't think it does because I don't drive hard), but the clutch or what ever it is disengages, then it takes a second or 2 for third gear to kick on. It only happens between the 2-3 shift when it is on auto mode. If I put it in manual/auto, then it shifts fine. I want to take it to the dealer but I don't want the intake to void the warrenty (I live in an apt. and they don't allow us to work on cars in the parking lot or else I would switch back to stock)
[/b]

New update on the tranny slipping. Its been around 3 weeks and I was thinking that I did get brushed off by the dealer. But to my surprise i got a phone call from them this morning. Apparently Mazda sent a brand new transmission for my car. They couldn't find that the cai was an issue with the tranny so they're going to replace it completely! :yesnod: I took it in this afternoon and it should be done by Friday. Hopefully everything goes alright. So this info is for you Metal4all6, hope this helps.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts