Mazda 6 Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
eeesh, I'll be replacing my cabin filter soon and this thread is all over the place. Considering this is a "sticky", can we consolidate some info here so a newbie like myself will know the easiest / most pain-free way of replacing the filter?

·
Registered
439 Posts
After opening the glovebox there will be a black plastic hinge on the right side, you just pull the bottom of it attached to the glovebox toward the passenger door it will pop off which will allow you to push in the sides of the glovebox so it can swing down and off its hinges, this link shows all the steps except that black hinge http://extranet.soleniuminc.com/gene...es/800131P.pdf

·
Registered
924 Posts
After opening the glovebox there will be a black plastic hinge on the right side, you just pull the bottom of it attached to the glovebox toward the passenger door it will pop off which will allow you to push in the sides of the glovebox so it can swing down and off its hinges, this link shows all the steps except that black hinge http://extranet.soleniuminc.com/gene...es/800131P.pdf
My glove box also had a black cylinder that needed to be disconnected. It slows the opening of the glovebox. You simply pull it toward the outside and it will pop off at the bottom.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Here's mine after 110,000 miles. LOL. this is after I knocked the bugs and debris out of it.

I purchased my '09 Mazda6 with 109,000 on the ticker.

I will be changing it tomorrow.
That's a lot of miles for an '09. Hopefully most of those were highway miles. Cars now a days easily reach 200,000. My '93 Probe was at over 250,000 and still running smoothly when I traded it in.

·
Administrator
8,442 Posts
Here's mine after 110,000 miles. LOL. this is after I knocked the bugs and debris out of it.

I purchased my '09 Mazda6 with 109,000 on the ticker.

I will be changing it tomorrow.
Actually, that's not too bad. I've seen a LOT worse... :)

To me, that indicates it's been in a car that's been maintained quite well. I can't see why you can't get another 100K miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Holly Crap. When the Dealer spoke of changing the Cabin Filter and what the cost was I thought it was a scam. Great info. and picture. I will order one from my auto parts store and replace it.
Two questions:
1. Is it relatively easy to replace ?
2. Where is it located ?
I am very handy and have all the tools needed. Should I invest in a service manual or is it not nessessary.
Thanx.

·
Registered
84 Posts
A.1.) Very easy to replace. Approx 5-10 mins. Hardest part may be cleaning out all the contents of the glovebox, lol.
2.) It is located behind the glovebox. Clean out contents of glovebox. Detach cord on right side of glovebox. Push in on sides of glovebox to allow tabs on both sides to clear the dash. Let glovebox swing down. Filter is in black compartment.

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got a Purolator BreatheEasy C26087 from Advance Auto, fits perfectly in my 2011 iSport. Was $6.99 plus tax. Was not in stock, but they delivered it from out of state to the local store overnight for no charge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Heh Tommy, yours was worse than mine, & I had A/C freeze over issues. It took 4 hours continuous driving in Muggy Alabama Summer though. I had the fan on low to boot though. I have not had a freeze over since blowing mine out.

I am going to tape some window screen in front of the factory "screen". At least you cant see it and I can replace it easy enough.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Buy a new one if it indeed smells. You need to use fresh air when you use ac rather than constantly using recirculate. It's not letting the system dry out which can cause mold/mildew growth.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts