Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Congratulation to Mazda for having two vehicles on the C & D 10 Best cars of 07.

I think the 07 Miata looks very nice especially the wheels. I turn my head everytime I see one on the road.
And the speed3, do I have to say more?

Hope this is not a repost.

·
Registered
990 Posts
nice...they had 2 last year as well. that means the RX8 is no longer on the list.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I know the cayman is expensive but it is IMO a perfect car. I'm glad it made the list. I've never driven anything like it. I'm sure that's the point porsche was trying to make.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I really like the cover art (if the pic doesn't show below, just click the link in the above post):

It's a decent list- I love the Miata, Vette, and Cayman. I think the Camry thoroughly beats the Accord now, though, at being the best people-mover. And the GTI may be nice, but the Speed3 is such a better car that I couldn't ever recommend a GTI, good or not. So, I'm surprised to see the Chrysler 300, GTI, and Accord on there.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I really like the cover art (if the pic doesn't show below, just click the link in the above post):

It's a decent list- I love the Miata, Vette, and Cayman. I think the Camry thoroughly beats the Accord now, though, at being the best people-mover. And the GTI may be nice, but the Speed3 is such a better car that I couldn't ever recommend a GTI, good or not. So, I'm surprised to see the Chrysler 300, GTI, and Accord on there.
[/b]
We all understand that Mazda is repositioning the 6 to compete with the Hoyota Camcord "people-movers,"
as Stretch puts it. They'd have to top the Camry, apparently. How will they do?

Beyond the fact that they will use the new Ford 3.5, there is no news, reliable spy shots or anything out there to provide any clue.

Nor anything at all on a four cylinder engine that would move the increased weight of this bigger car without dogginess. The NA 2.3 couldn't do the job even with a mtx. The 3.5 apparently will be using regular gas. Who'd buy a turboed 2.3 that used premium? Does Mazda/Ford even have a NA four bigger than the present 2.3 in development or on the shelf? I'd really like to know what they have in mind on this front. Or will there be no four cylinder version? That would seem impossible if the goal is to be fully competitive with the above mentioned "people-mover" brands.

Anyone have any idea what gives with Mazda and the next 6?

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Meh, the Camry does nothing special in the mid-size class. It's an overpriced appliance. The Accord at least offers a broader approach with a 6-speed V6 model. However, value should be considered, and I still consider the Mazda6 and Hyundai Sonata the two best mid-size cars.

The Chrysler 300 is a tacky FPOS. Inefficient with space and fuel, the V6 versions are nothing special and inferior to the Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego and the V8 is way too expensive, entering a price class where it is simply not upscale enough to compete.

I can at least see the arguments for the others, but most are not my top picks in class.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Nor anything at all on a four cylinder engine that would move the increased weight of this bigger car without dogginess. The NA 2.3 couldn't do the job even with a mtx. The 3.5 apparently will be using regular gas. Who'd buy a turboed 2.3 that used premium? Does Mazda/Ford even have a NA four bigger than the present 2.3 in development or on the shelf? I'd really like to know what they have in mind on this front. Or will there be no four cylinder version? That would seem impossible if the goal is to be fully competitive with the above mentioned "people-mover" brands.
[/b]
Why can't the 2.3 do the job?

On the Camry, the base-engine has only 158hp.
On the Accord, the base-engine has only 166hp.
On the Altima, the base-engine has only 175hp.

There's no reason to believe that the next-generation will weigh anymore than any of the above, yet they apparently get along well enough to control the vast majority of the market. Sure it's not very "zoom-zoom" but that's what the 3.5L is for. All the 2.3L needs to do is be competent, which its' more than capable of doing to the market's satisfaction as evidenced by all the other models that do it. With a very mild and easily gotten power-boost (maybe 10hp), it can easily maintain the exact same power:weight ratio that all the above models do even with a weight gain.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Why can't the 2.3 do the job?

On the Camry, the base-engine has only 158hp.
On the Accord, the base-engine has only 166hp.
On the Altima, the base-engine has only 175hp.

There's no reason to believe that the next-generation will weigh anymore than any of the above, yet they apparently get along well enough to control the vast majority of the market. Sure it's not very "zoom-zoom" but that's what the 3.5L is for. All the 2.3L needs to do is be competent, which its' more than capable of doing to the market's satisfaction as evidenced by all the other models that do it. With a very mild and easily gotten power-boost (maybe 10hp), it can easily maintain the exact same power:weight ratio that all the above models do even with a weight gain.
[/b]
I thoroughly enjoy my 2.3 with an MTX, and I got that slight power boost with a Mazdaspeed CAI and the car is very quick and nimble, surprisingly. I enjoy how it feels lighter and a tad more nimble. A V6 motor or higher simply creates a different kind of car to me. I'm never left in the dust of anyone with my car. I know not to test Porsches, high-end BMWs, or other cars in that price-range or above, but in day-to-day driving, the 2.3 has been good to me. In the 6, I just have to always be in the front at traffic-light stops just to drive off in the distance in a sexy, nimble, reasonably-powered automobile.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,540 Posts
All the 2.3L needs to do is be competent, which its' more than capable of doing to the market's satisfaction as evidenced by all the other models that do it. With a very mild and easily gotten power-boost (maybe 10hp), it can easily maintain the exact same power:weight ratio that all the above models do even with a weight gain.
[/b]
Not to mention the fact that the majority of the 4-cyl buyers are more concerned with fuel economy, not HP. You want HP? Get the 3.5L. You want better gas mileage? 4-cyl FTW. I'd expect the 4-cyl to be tweaked for another 5-10 HP, hopefully with better gas mileage as well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts