Mazda 6 Forums banner

Byakuya's 2020 Miata RF GT

6K views 56 replies 12 participants last post by  Byakuya 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Work has been keeping me beyond busy, so I haven't had much time to spend on here lately. It's also just getting to the end of winter here, so I haven't had too many chances to get out and enjoy the road. That being said, most of my driving over the last month has been via our new Mazda adventure.

My wife and I finally got the finances in order to get ourselves our dream car: a 2020 Mazda Miata RF Grand Touring in Soul Red Crystal! We drove 800 miles (12 hours total) through mountain passes and multiple snow squalls to get this thing before it was scooped up. The car only has 7400 miles on it and is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven.

The 6 isn't going anywhere, and neither am I (6club is my home), but this thing is definitely going to be getting the majority of the attention in the near future. Plus, the 6 is exactly how I want it at this point, so I don't see any more mods coming for it in the near future. It's SO good to be driving a stick again.

Exterior Mods:
  • XPEL Front Bumper/Hood protectant.
  • Black ABS spoiler.
  • Carbon Fiber Plate Frame
  • LED license plate lights.
  • Smoked side markers.
Interior Mods:
  • Hardwired Rexing V1P front/back dash cam.
  • Custom red carbon fiber shift knob.
    • With modified OEM silver plastic bottom.
  • RBG LEDs in footwells and behind seats.
Eventual Mods:
  • Front Splitter
  • Side Skirts
  • Rear difuser or canards
  • Painted calipers.
  • (Maybe) Red Lugs
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Car

Car Wheel Sky Land vehicle Tire

Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Vehicle

Sky Cloud Land vehicle Plant Vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Car Gear shift

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive battery Car Hood

Automotive parking light Vehicle Automotive lighting Grille Car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

Sky Cloud Wheel Tire Land vehicle

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
..."our" dream car.... yeah, right ! :ROFLMAO:

Congrats !
Actually, it is lol. I sold her on this car when we rented it on vacation a few years ago - she's been drooling over it as much as I have. Next: teaching her how to drive a stick :) - Not worried at all though, she can operate heavy equipment.

Thanks!!

#5 ·
When we bought a Miata about 12-13 years ago (a 93), my better half "obtained" it as her preferred vehicle. She had never taken to any of my other fun cars (MR2s of all vintages and an S2000). That is the only downside I can think of for buying a 4th gen Miata in the future.

#8 ·
Maaaaybe - I mean, I've got a car that has the same whp as my 6, is rwd, redlines 1.5k higher, and weighs ~1000lbs less - I'm enjoying it as it is lol.

#10 ·
I'm still a fan (of course!), but it just looks sooooo much better with the top down.

Considering also that Mazda has succumbed to peer pressure and has given up on the "Zoom-zoom" for the SUV craze, I'd enjoy it as much as possible while you can. My 6 will be my last Mazda unless they get their head out of their ass...

Reactions: tango
#11 ·
I'm still a fan (of course!), but it just looks sooooo much better with the top down.
Those pics are coming! It's still in the 30s here and snow showers regularly, so we haven't had a chance to enjoy the top down yet.

Considering also that Mazda has succumbed to peer pressure and has given up on the "Zoom-zoom" for the SUV craze, I'd enjoy it as much as possible while you can. My 6 will be my last Mazda unless they get their head out of their ass...
Yeah, they're doing all they can to survive in a market that cares more about being "green" (without fully understanding what that entails), and having way more stuff than they need.

Unfortunately, there's nowhere you can run at this point as the sedan is a dying breed everywhere. I can't see Mazda ever getting rid of the Miata, so I'll stay with them as long as they make it haha.

#12 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

Work has been keeping me beyond busy, so I haven't had much time to spend on here lately. It's also just getting to the end of winter here, so I haven't had too many chances to get out and enjoy the road. That being said, most of my driving over the last month has been via our new Mazda adventure.

My wife and I finally got the finances in order to get ourselves our dream car: a 2020 Mazda Miata RF Grand Touring in Soul Red Crystal! We drove 800 miles (12 hours total) through mountain passes to get this thing before it was scooped up. The car only has 7400 miles on it and is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven.

The 6 isn't going anywhere, and neither am I (6club is my home), but this thing is definitely going to be getting the majority of the attention in the near future. Plus, the 6 is exactly how I want it at this point, so I don't see any more mods coming for it in the near future. It's SO good to be driving a stick again.

View attachment 246053 View attachment 246052
View attachment 246054
View attachment 246055
View attachment 246056
View attachment 246057
View attachment 246058

Eventual Mods:
  • Custom matching red shift knob.
  • Front Splitter
  • Side Skirts
  • Rear difuser
  • Small trunk spoiler (like the 6)
  • Painted calipers.
  • (Maybe) Red Lugs
  • LED the things.
I auto-slalomed a '20 RF 6mt in a Mazda drive event 2 summers ago. It was really nice, and I ran it pretty darned intensively during that event. It didn't disappoint 😊. Also did the same with a 6mt softtop version. Equally nice. The RF will allow its use in the Eastern Seaboard states (or maybe you've moved?) all year round if you should so choose, albeit with four gnarly snows. I'd put the Xpel film on the hood, frt fenders, bumper... sooner rather than later.

Very nice car. Congrats!

#13 ·
Nice!! And yeah, haven't actually tested it much yet at this point, still in a break in period, but it's so much fun to drive. I was shocked to see the redline over 7500 RPMs - they really want this thing humming haha.

We're in Montana now so our winters are longer and colder than back in New England (we prefer it this way) - The RF will be seeing the light of day only when it's sunny and not wet out haha. Garage queen all the way. And I booked my Xpel whole hood + fenders + mirrors on Wednesday! It's due to be put on in June since they're so heavily booked.

#14 ·
Good... I would have said go for four Nokian Hakkapeliitta snows (that are the cat's b*m in prairie snow) - but if she'll be a garage queen, well, better yet.

Seeing as she's well-nigh new I would under-seal the car with a waxy, self-healing under-seal, and a waxy cavity seal. Just recently Bilt-Hamber rust protective products became available 'Stateside. Their waxes and polishes were, for some time, but recently the undeseals became available. Their rep is stellar in the UK. Underseal UB or UC (first is brownish, 2nd is clear) and their Dynax S-50 cavity sealer. Re the supposedly phosphated- and E-Coated suspension members, subframes (typically poorly protected in Mazda's) I'd first scuff-up and brush-paint best I could, apply S-50 with its spray wand to boxed-in areas of wishbones, etc that can't be reached by brush, then use UB or UC to do the whole-rest of the non-boxed-in areas of the undercarriage. Do this, and it'll last and last and last in low-humidity Montana 🙂.

#16 ·
I'll definitely look into it! Going to do my best to preserve this as long as possible......or until they forcibly remove fuel from the world as they seem so hell-bent on doing.

Do they salt the roads in montana? Or do they just use mag chloride? If they just use mag, there is no reason to seal the underside. I agree that your Miata will be a beast in the snow with some proper studless tires.
Depends on where you are. My area is mostly sand because we're in an ancient lakebed and get very little rain, so we do our best to preserve water as much as possible.

And there's no way this thing is trudging through snow unless absolutely necessary; that's why I have the 6 with dedicated snow tires :D

#22 ·
I have never lived in a snow/rust belt state (I live in Florida, after all) but my high school chemistry tells me that Magnesium Chloride (MgCl2) is a salt, just like Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) and will cause rust just as much. My quick check online tells me that it is perhaps worse, based on some of its physical properties. I would err on the side of caution and still take the necessary precautions.

#19 ·
Well
  1. Time to get a dash came for this.
  2. I know the brakes work really well!
Took the roadster out for a nice drive yesterday and had the top down. Was at a redlight in some traffic, went green and I started going with traffic. Wasn't good enough for the guy behind me (apparently), and he started going ballistic (like, I've only ever seen a few people this visibly angry). When we came to a stop at the next red light 200 meters away, I gave him a slow clap for having gotten so angry over me having the nerve to not get him to the next red light 3 seconds faster.

Next green, he floors it around us in the other lane, gets in front and slams on his brakes. Thank God for this car's brakes. We smiled and waved to him as we went our separate ways. I hope that guy had a wonderful rest of his weekend.

In lighter news, got the plates on it finally! Took forever for the stealership to send the title to our DMV. Plates are for a non-profit that aids in Search and Assist efforts in the area (we get a lot of lost adventurers around here).
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive parking light Bumper

#21 ·
I'm usually the same way, but I figured I had the entire rest of the traffic around me as a witness to whatever may have occurred. Some other guy in a truck behind us saw the whole thing and gave the dude an earful for us. :D

#24 ·
I think there's a combination of things going on here. We can't compare cars of today to cars of 20 - 30+ years ago because the materials used in making the frames/etc are vastly cheaper now and can't hold up to the elements regardless of what's on the road.

That being said, the brine 100% gets on your vehicles even in dry conditions - I drove plenty of miles in my 6 and picked up so much thin film all over my car. I specifically remember days where you could see the brine/salt/whatever as a cloud of haze above the road from all the traffic going over it.

#25 ·
I think there's a combination of things going on here. We can't compare cars of today to cars of 20 - 30+ years ago because the materials used in making the frames/etc are vastly cheaper now and can't hold up to the elements regardless of what's on the road.
The steels used in cars today are generally the same alloys over the past several decades. I don't know where you are getting your information, but the quality of those steels, if it has changed at all, has probably improved, just due to better QC in the manufacturing process. There are definitely more high-strength steel alloys being used in unibody frames than in previous decades. But one way or the other, the coating is what stops rust in the unibody, not the alloy. Any steel will rust when exposed to water, unless it is a stainless alloy or if it's treated with galvanization, but unibodies are neither of those.

#26 ·
I visited Wisconsin a few years ago and I was shocked..mortified...to see the destruction that cars face there due to rust. The roads were also eye-sores, no doubt as a result of freeze-thaw. I was there for a job interview and after seeing all that nonsense, I withdrew from the interview process. My Subaru Forester was originally owned by somebody who lived in NH, I think and it wasn't in bad condition body-wise, but the suspension and drivetrain pieces were fairly well corroded (it took two days of pounding, banging, begging, beseeching, swearing, and sweating to get the rear bearings off). At this point in my life I would NEVER buy a vehicle that was from anywhere further north than GA. I simply cannot believe that these municipalities can't find something better to deal with the roads than something that causes so much damage to vehicles, buildings, and other infrastructure.

Reactions: Byakuya
#30 ·
I was in Miami for a work event (driving exotic cars at Homestead speedway) last month - tough work. But the rental aisle at National surprised me, as this was one of the choices which naturally I took. Slushbox unfortunately, but still a fun little ride. Tough getting in and out of, and hard to believe many people would really choose it as a rental, as I could barely fit my carry-on in the trunk. That said, I still don't see much draw to the hard top. I'd much rather have the full convertible, at least if I was in FL. If I lived in a snowbelt state, maybe, but at that point it's not getting out much in the bad weather anyway if it's a 2nd car.

#32 ·
To each his/her own I suppose. We rented the convertible for a vacation once to confirm that our luggage fits perfectly in the trunk. We also confirmed that we much prefer the hard top for several reasons (explained in reply to cdn's post). We're also small people, so getting in/out isn't an issue for us. Sure, it's low to the ground, but what do you expect from a sports car?

Convertible tops have a finite life; they're spendy to replace... That's one consideration. Also, roadnoise?
Correct, they fade despite best efforts and will eventually need replacing. The hard top has more pieces that can fail, however, and I can't imagine it's cheap to replace, but at least I know the top itself won't degrade over time. When our hard top is up, you're in a fully enclosed ca and road noise is nominal (realizing you're in a low-slung sports car with stiff suspension). We also live where it's perfectly sunny but can be 0F out, so the hard top will keep us warmer while cruising.

#33 ·
Hey everyone,

My wife and I finally got the finances in order to get ourselves our dream car: a 2020 Mazda Miata RF Grand Touring in Soul Red Crystal! We drove 800 miles (12 hours total) through mountain passes to get this thing before it was scooped up. The car only has 7400 miles on it and is hands down the most fun car I've ever driven.

View attachment 246053 View attachment 246052
View attachment 246054
View attachment 246055
View attachment 246056
View attachment 246057
View attachment 246058

Eventual Mods:
  • Custom matching red shift knob.
  • Front Splitter
  • Side Skirts
  • Rear difuser
  • Small trunk spoiler (like the 6)
  • Painted calipers.
  • (Maybe) Red Lugs
  • LED the things.
How is the fit for your height, Byakuya? I’d love one of those but am 6’-2” and when I sit in a Miata at the dealership it feels too constrained for me, especially the legroom. Thanks.

#34 ·
Hes a short ass Asian ;) Im 6ft and dont fit either.

#37 ·
Went on a much needed vaca for the first time in a couple years. Took the Miata for a (total) 2000 mile road trip down to Colorado and back. Loved driving it every second!

Right before the vaca, we got it outfitted with an XPEL protective film over the entire hood, front bumper, front fenders, and mirrors. I also hardwired a dash cam (front + back) into the car. Here's some pics of our adventures with it!

Near the summit of Pike's Peak (we were there RIGHT before the 100th running of the hill climb - saw some awesome cars practicing).
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

On the way down Pike's peak.
Wheel Tire Sky Cloud Car

And these were on our way to a cool hiking spot in the hills - also the reason the tires got so dirty. (Photos taken by my wife since we didn't have much time with traffic around).
Car Vehicle Plant Automotive lighting Personal luxury car

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

We also got a kind of cool video of the car taking one of the many hairpins - will upload it when I can.

#38 ·
Forgot to mention: running on preimum (recommended by Mazda), going 78mph cruise control with the AC on the entire time, this thing averaged 38mpgs! Definitely surpassed my expectations.

#40 ·
What methodology- and what luggage did you use? It is space constrained, it seems to me, but did you use 'lotsa soft bags?
Yes. :D

So, we had rented one of these for vacation a few years ago to test this exact thing. We can fit both of our travel bags in it (~4 days of clothes each) if we do it just right. For this trip, we took the following and it all fit in the trunk when packed properly (hanger used for size reference) :
  • 1 Travel bag (blue/gray) filled to bursting with both our clothes and 4 pairs of shoes (1 for hiking, 1 not).
  • 1 toiletries bag (white/black).
  • 1 electronics back (orange) with laptop, charger, phone chargers, and some survival items like solar pack, flashlights, etc.
  • 2 day hiking packs (teal and black). Nothing but an empty water bladder in each.
  • 2 Chemical Guys cleaners, a windshield cleaner, headlight cleaner, roll of paper towels, and 3 microfiber cloths (for cleaning the bugs).
  • Some misc. items such as bear spray, sunscreen, and my wife's purse.

• There's also some empty space behind the seats where we stored a large photo print a friend gave us.
  • There's a secret little storage behind the passenger seat we used for misc things like small tissue packs.
  • The center storage behind the water bottle holders has enough room for maybe 4 user manuals, but we didn't use it much.
Luggage and bags Bag Sleeve Personal protective equipment Electric blue

#44 ·
The Canola fields (yes, for the oil) are in full bloom here and we've got some right by the house. Wish I had more time for a proper shoot but this was a private road and I didn't want to overstay my welcome.
Wheel Sky Tire Car Cloud

Sky Wheel Tire Vehicle Cloud

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Car

#46 ·
Because I'm a huge nerd, I created a new desktop layout/etc from one of my favorite photos of the car (thus far).
  • Adobe Illustrator for the hexagons/lines.
  • Photoshop for the car edits and shading.
  • Rainmeter for the cool desktop goodies:
    • MSI Afterburner + SK Neon Meters = Top resource bar.
    • Mond Clock + Royal Weather API = The date + weather section.
    • Monstercat = audio visualizer.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

#47 ·
Because I'm a huge nerd, I created a new desktop layout/etc from one of my favorite photos of the car (thus far).
  • Adobe Illustrator for the hexagons/lines.
  • Photoshop for the car edits and shading.
  • Rainmeter for the cool desktop goodies:
    • MSI Afterburner + SK Neon Meters = Top resource bar.
    • Mond Clock + Royal Weather API = The date + weather section.
    • Monstercat = audio visualizer.
View attachment 246608
That looks fantastic! I really need to get on my rainmeter skills lol

#50 ·
Couple minor little updates but no official pictures since the weather hasn't been allowing it.

Got a new spoiler - from some angles I absolutely love it, others I'm not 100% sold, but it's not coming off at this point. I had tried a carbon fiber one that was smaller and loved it 100% but the carbon fiber didn't match the black gloss roof at all, so I sent it back.
Automotive tail & brake light Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

I also had some spare tint film laying around from a house project and decided to put it on the side markers - I think it's perfect and they don't stick out nearly as much as they used to.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood

Also got a new shift knob because the stitching on the OEM leather one was bugging me. I ended up taking the silver plastic piece from the OEM knob, cutting it down to the right size, and sticking it under the new knob. I think it looks perfect.
Hood Automotive lighting Automotive design Car Gear shift

And finally, the OEM plate lights are yellow and gross, so I upgraded to LEDs - which were WAY too powerful so I put some tint over the plastic covers of those as well.
Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting

#51 ·
Copy cat.... Lol, I love that knob, it just fits right and matches the CMU color.

#52 ·
Wait you've got the same one? I completely forget what people have for mods on here. Thanks though! I was worried about it matching properly but it's spot on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.