Mazda 6 Forums banner

621 - 640 of 642 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Looks much nicer than my kitchen cabinetry - and I bet you will do better work than my cooking!
How high are the tire racks? Are the tires and wheels very well restrained from rolling out? I'd hate to see what happens if something fell from that height, even if it make take a 5.9 Richter earthquake.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Looks much nicer than my kitchen cabinetry - and I bet you will do better work than my cooking!
How high are the tire racks? Are the tires and wheels very well restrained from rolling out? I'd hate to see what happens if something fell from that height, even if it make take a 5.9 Richter earthquake.
Thanks! Lol I don't know about that - I'd say if you food is edible then we're on par.

Racks are about 6'8" off the ground, and the only thing restraining them are those metal bars going across the tire racks. Nice thing is I don't have to worry about earthquakes big enough up here to rattle those things out of place. If I did have to worry, I'd chain/strap them together so they couldn't possibly move.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #623
Well, the nice new garage setup isn't helping much lately with what I'm calling the "Suspension Saga"........sorry for the rant.

Got new brakes and rear shocks since everything needed to be replaced. Brakes are no issue, but the suspension has been a nightmare. Ordered some new Bilstein B8 Performance Plus shocks to match the fronts and they cost the same as OEM so win/win.

When trying to pull the passenger side off, the rust belt reared its ugly head and caused my upper mount to basically shatter :poop:. Stupid aluminum mounts are so crappy, my wife's 3 had the same thing happen not too long ago. No big deal, I've replaced them before, except this part does not exist on its own from Mazda, or anywhere, period. (See: My Thread )

FINE I'll go get OEM struts, pull the mount off them, put it on the Bilsteins, then sell the OEMs to someone who has good mounts (y). Ordered the parts, paid for express 2 day shipping, they were backordered (no one told me while ordering) and I didn't end up getting them for 10 days (arrived last night) - $30 extra well spent :rolleyes:. Woke up, went to swap the mounting bracket + sleeve onto the B8s, won't fit :cry:. The plastic sleeve is too narrow (and clearly narrower than OEM) around the metal bracket on the B8: WTH?

FINE Pt 2
I'll just lick my wounds and forego putting the B8s on. Go to put the OEM ones on, won't even come close to fitting (n). The bore on the lower shock is FAR too small for my mounting tube, it's even too small for the screw! WTH Pt 2?

OMG
In my haste to get my car fixed, I accidentally ordered 2014 Mazda 3 OEM rear struts 👀 - kill me now I waited 10 days for these.

Trying to stay positive - maybe this is the reason the sleeve didn't fit on the B8s and, if I order the correct OEM shocks, I'll be good to go!

But Wait - What if I ordered the wrong B8s? I took one out and immediately realize the lower mounting hole is ALSO far too small. I've got 2 sets of shocks and neither are correct :mad:

Scrambling, I go to Bilstein's website and confirm part numbers. Everything looks great and they absolutely say the shocks will fit - Breaking News! They don't.

Emailed Bilstein and go back and forth a couple times, verifying production dates, sharing pictures of how they won't work, OEM (not Mazda 3) part numbers and whatnot - they're completely stumped. :unsure:

Regardless, I know the Bilsteins won't have the mounting bracket on them. So now I've ordered my 3rd set of shocks, confirmed part numbers a dozen times, and I swear if they don't fit, I might lose it.

How's everyone else been doing? :D

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
Having been in that exact situation a few times, all I can do is just smile.

Yes, it sucks, and yes, I do feel your pain, but still...

You know as well as I do that nothing EVER comes easy. Especially with car parts. Especially with Mazda car parts. Especially with Mazda6 car parts...

·
Rally Racer
2,887 Posts
All I can do is just shake my head and be glad you can't hear my giggling. Of course I can giggle because it is not me... but it has been...more times than one. So I feel your pain (thinking to my 4 sub-frame drops for FSB/rack). Boy do I feel it.
Good luck on the next round. I am assuming that your Bilstein supplier will reimburse/exchange?

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #626 (Edited)
Okay, so the Bilstein thing never happened and I ended up going OEM (for now). What a pain that all was. On a positive note, I did finally upgrade all 4 pads/rotors to PowerStop Evolution. I have always done the painted rotors but wanted to give these Geomet ones a try up in the rust belt, see how they fair.

Nothing like the smell of PB Blaster in the morning....

Meanwhile, this weekend, I finally finished my garage project 100% and I'm pumped! I was excited my old socket set and its organizer fit perfectly in the new rolling cart.

The only thing I don't like is how the LEDs I setup reflect on the stainless steel countertop. Didn't think they'd look like strings lol. Oh well.

My super advanced wiring setup....

The LEDs inside the cabinets could fill things in a bit better but I tucked them away so you'd never even know they were there, which is what I was going for.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
Very nice...

...Despite that Bruins thing you marred it with...:sick:

Then again, at least you have a garage you can work in... :cry:

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #628
Very nice...

...Despite that Bruins thing you marred it with...:sick:
You were the only person I thought of when I took the photo with plans to post on here - it's there in your honor :p

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #632
Did you have to do any body modifications putting 255/35R20 tires on? What is the offset on your wheels?
Hey Fabian!

Here's all my wheel specs from the first post:
  • 20x8.5 E+35 TSW Nurburgrings in Gunmetal
  • 255/35/R20 Falken Azenis FK450
I run stock ride height and didn't have to do a single thing to fit the wheels/rims on - they fit flawlessly and don't rub even when I'm cornering aggressively :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey Fabian!

Here's all my wheel specs from the first post:
  • 20x8.5 E+35 TSW Nurburgrings in Gunmetal
  • 255/35/R20 Falken Azenis FK450
I run stock ride height and didn't have to do a single thing to fit the wheels/rims on - they fit flawlessly and don't rub even when I'm cornering aggressively :)
Thank you.

I love how your setup fills your wheel well. I was thinking of going with 20’s but wasn’t sure about rubbing. Great build and thanks for your quick response.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #635
Any news on those b8 shocks? I'm looking at the b8s to go along with Tanabe springs, but just read about your issues.
Unfortunately, no :(

I reached back out to them several times over the last few months and haven't heard a thing back. I don't know if my car is an anomaly because it was one of the first off the boat, or if all 2014s are and they aren't aware of it. Best to pull yours off first to check. If you've got the smaller bore on OEM then you should be good to run the B8s.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #636
Woot! It's been 8 years since I had LEDs in the footwells of a car and I've missed them. 8 Years ago when I got the 3rd gen, LED technology wasn't nearly as advanced as it is now and there are some great footwell kits available. I snagged one during Prime Days for dirt cheap but it's only $23 regularly: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q6CPQK4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - The app is meh but at least works well enough to create some custom settings and quickly change things. Now all I need to do is figure out what my favorite color is! (Sorry for potato quality, my Nikon wasn't playing nice and I didn't have the time to really set everything up for night photos)

Also, it annoys me that you can see the LEDs a bit but there's literally nowhere else to mount them without reducing their effectiveness 80%.

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #638
Looks like someone stole a pedal from under your dash!
:( I miss it every day but I really wanted my first (and probably only) new car to have all the bells and whistles.....that and (hopefully) some day that void is filled by something with an Mx5 RF in the title ;)

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,541 Posts
Damn, that's bright! Are they dimmable?

Reactions: Byakuya

·
Super Moderator
17,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #640
Damn, that's bright! Are they dimmable?
Yup! That's at ~80%. The app is kind of bleh but it serves its needs. Custom colors/brightness, custom fade/pulse/flicker loops, sound activated (though that's WAY too sensitive and just causes insane flickering).

621 - 640 of 642 Posts