Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting a buzz in the engine around 2500-2800 RPM, almost like a loose heat shield. The dealer heard it too, they kept the car for weeks looking for the source, eventually a field engineer from Mazda came out with another manual 6 and said both cars sounded the same, and the noise was normal for the manual. I am certain this is not a normal noise, and that the car did not make the sound when it was new. Am I nuts? Does anyone with a stick else notice a pronounced change in the engine sound around 2500 RPM?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Could be a chassis imperfection. Sometimes if the frequency is just right it can happen. Have a friend with a Ford F350 and it's almost undrive-able between 45-50MPH due to a frame imperfection. He bought it second hand and sadly discovered this too late to take it back.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to follow up on this--after almost a year of back and forth with Mazda about this (first they had an engineer come up and tell me this is a normal noise for a MT), I got them to bring up another Mazda 6 with a manual transmission to compare mine with and this time the engineer confirmed the buzz. They replaced the exhaust system and manifold, but the noise persisted. They decided it is something internal, so now they are actually replacing the engine. He said that they are going to take the old engine to Mazda and dissect it to see what was creating the buzz.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts