Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New owner of 2004 Mazda 6 from Winnipeg. I am a full time student while working part-time, so I really have to spend my money wisely. however, most tire sellers in town are overpriced way off my limit. I am considering to buy tires from the states. It appears to me that the total price is still cheaper even including the shipping cost. Anyone have any related experiences or special instructions that may help my situation?

I am looking for a set of 4 winter tires (17''), any good recommendations? Thx :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
The last time I considered buying tires from the US, the dollar was not as strong as it is now and I ended up buying local. Even if it is cheaper with exchange, remember the 2.5-4.5% (or whatever) your credit card company will charge for currency exchange. Also, avoid UPS if you can -- UPS Canada charges outrageous brokerage fees. Customs WILL ding you for duty and GST at the border.

You could try a Canadian on-line tire retailer like 1010tires or TireTrends, if you have a local shop in mind who would install for a reasonable price. (...errr, I think. Google them?) It might look a little more expensive, but you won't need to worry about border hassles.

Mind you, I haven't run through the calculations recently to see which would be cheaper -- it's ever changing.

...good luck,

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Test_Drive @ Nov 7 2008, 06:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1473049
The last time I considered buying tires from the US, the dollar was not as strong as it is now and I ended up buying local. Even if it is cheaper with exchange, remember the 2.5-4.5% (or whatever) your credit card company will charge for currency exchange. Also, avoid UPS if you can -- UPS Canada charges outrageous brokerage fees. Customs WILL ding you for duty and GST at the border.

You could try a Canadian on-line tire retailer like 1010tires or TireTrends, if you have a local shop in mind who would install for a reasonable price. (...errr, I think. Google them?) It might look a little more expensive, but you won't need to worry about border hassles.

Mind you, I haven't run through the calculations recently to see which would be cheaper -- it's ever changing.

...good luck,[/b]
Thank you for letting me know. I really didn't think of those things initially. but you are right, the risk is there. Any recommendations of good overall tires for winter?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi there,

I went to http://www.tirerack.com to try and see some prices. they wanted $300 in shipping and customs fees to me here in Edmonton.

That was the end of looking at buying from Tire Rack. Especially given the $0.80 dollar.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Back when our dollar was on par with the US, I got mine from Discount Tire Direct. Paid through paypal, and shipping was around $200. That included everything, even the disposal fee, brokerage, everything. I didn't pay a dime more than what was quoted.

Local tire shop asked $100 to mount and balance them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
At 50K km, I needed to replace my factory Pirelli PZero Nero 18" tires (going by memory, think the size was 215/45-18). The local Mazda dealer wanted $280/tire, and I couldn't find an equivalent tire of that size for much less. Wound up ordering from Tirerack.com - their price for the Pirellis was $135/tire. Shipping was about $40 to a UPS Store on the U.S. side of the border, about 45 minutes drive from my house. Fortunately, this was back when the C$ was worth about .95 U.S. I brought them back to Ottawa to have them installed, and paid GST/PST at the border. Still saved a bundle vs buying in Canada. Canadian tire prices, for anything out of the ordinary, are stupid. Even with our dollar in the tank again, it probably still makes good sense to buy from Tirerack.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
For me, I bought a set of 16" steelies and 16" snow tires for my car so I can switch them out whenever I needed to in my own garage. The 16" tires with the steelies were cheaper than just the 17" rubbers alone. If you don't have a Speed6, then you might look into this option.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
7 Participants
Awong124
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing