Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about getting a set of 18x7.5 inch +48 MB Boost 5 spoke gunmetal wheels for winter on my speed6. The tires I am pairing with them are a 225/40R-18 Nitto performance winter tire.

I've checked the FAQ's and calculators for this tire size, and things seem ok. Tire rack and discount tire also agree, but here is what worries me. The differential of the sizes will make me read 2.2% slower on the speedo. is this too much to be reasonable? Im basically giving up 500 miles over the course of my 3 year smartbuy which is ok i suppose. i really would prefer not to get 17's.

Any input is appreciated asap as the stock of these wheels is dropping and i cant afford a much more expensive package. thanks!!!!!!!!

(cant upload a pic right now)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I posted a while back about getting a set of 18x7.5 inch +48 MB Boost 5 spoke gunmetal wheels for winter on my speed6. The tires I am pairing with them are a 225/40R-18 Nitto performance winter tire.

I've checked the FAQ's and calculators for this tire size, and things seem ok. Tire rack and discount tire also agree, but here is what worries me. The differential of the sizes will make me read 2.2% slower on the speedo. is this too much to be reasonable? Im basically giving up 500 miles over the course of my 3 year smartbuy which is ok i suppose. i really would prefer not to get 17's.

Any input is appreciated asap as the stock of these wheels is dropping and i cant afford a much more expensive package. thanks!!!!!!!!
(cant upload a pic right now)
[/b]
You could always use one of these to recalibrate your speedo.

http://www.abbott-tach.com/era.htm

As long as the MS6 doesn't have a mechanical speedo cable, it should work. It worked perfectly on my Mustang when I changed the rear gear ratio. If my 2001 Mustang had an electronic speedo cable/sensor then I am sure the the MS6 has the same thing. All you'd have to do is look at their calibrations table and calibrated it to 1.220. It's a pretty easy install, as long as you can find where the speedo cable plugs into the tranny.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
this may be a dumb question but why would you get a wider tire/wheel for winter driving?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the reason i am going with that size is that i cannot find a package in the OE width and aspect. also, i do not want to go down to 17's. most of my winter driving will be on cold dry roads in MD, but i will be back in syracuse for a month or so, which means that 4 dedicated snow tires are a MUST considering the OE summer only tires

so it's not so much that i'm getting wider wheels for winter, it's just that the stock setup should have been a little wider IMHO and the tire sizes out there are a bit limited in 18. also, the 17s were only 100-150 cheaper when comparing total package cost and shipping. which i figure is worth spending to keep the car looking good since im at stock ride height

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
shit, i just called and they ran out this week. they never got around to updating the stock estimates on their website. gar! now ive got to find new wheels.

·
Registered
286 Posts
the reason i am going with that size is that i cannot find a package in the OE width and aspect. also, i do not want to go down to 17's. most of my winter driving will be on cold dry roads in MD, but i will be back in syracuse for a month or so, which means that 4 dedicated snow tires are a MUST considering the OE summer only tires

so it's not so much that i'm getting wider wheels for winter, it's just that the stock setup should have been a little wider IMHO and the tire sizes out there are a bit limited in 18. also, the 17s were only 100-150 cheaper when comparing total package cost and shipping. which i figure is worth spending to keep the car looking good since im at stock ride height
[/b]
Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22, Dunlop SP Winter Sport M3, Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero have 215/45R18, but they aren't cheap.

I'm in the same boat with you also. I'm thinking about getting 18x7.5, +48 wheels with some Kumho 225/40R18 tires.

The OE size is so rare that finding what would fit is hard enough not to mention the budget and the look. Damn narrow 18" with big offset.

·
Registered
305 Posts

[/b]
Dont' take this the wrong way but it sounds like your trying to buy a dedicated winter tire that does everything well - good luck with that.
The reason guys drop a size for snow is to add a little more profile - and while adding the profile, you should go narrower. The 17's will do a better job in the winter and they are cheaper - this should be an easy decision unless you are buying based on looks and not functionality - IMO :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dont' take this the wrong way but it sounds like your trying to buy a dedicated winter tire that does everything well - good luck with that.
The reason guys drop a size for snow is to add a little more profile - and while adding the profile, you should go narrower. The 17's will do a better job in the winter and they are cheaper - this should be an easy decision unless you are buying based on looks and not functionality - IMO :)
[/b]
i hear what youre saying, but im not trying to buy a does-everything-well snow tire. there are compromises in everything...including tires, and i am fine with that. but, as we all know, you cant use the summer-only bridgestones in the winter, it's just not safe. so, i was just looking for some snow tires that have decent performance in cold/dry, and i will let the tcs/dsc/awd help in the heavy stuff for the 4 weeks i am in syracuse. bascially, all im saying is that i cant just get a set of m+s all seasons for the mild winter down here as i do want a real snow tire.

i do not want 17's as i stated before. i am interested in maintaining the aesthetic of the 18'' rim.

thanks for the input from everyone, it's appreciated. hopefully i can track down something today

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good luck and let us know what you come up with :)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks to everyone who helped. as bad luck would have it, the first two wheel styles i was really interested in were sold out (and discontinued) so i had to start fresh. then i couldnt find a wheel with the right width and greater than 38 offset.

i ended up getting a set of MB wheels Drifters in Silver. They are a standard 5 spoke design, in the flavor of an RX8 wheel, just a bit less interesting. also they are a lb or 2 lighter than the stockers, which makes me happy.

i am quite sad that i couldnt get the gunmetal 5 spokes that were a bit more aggressive, but i am happy with what i got and the price was good too. i have always preferred the more simple designs, and given that they are winter wheels, i was ok going with a cheaper brand and a style that will be so much easier to clean!

all in all, 1000 mounted balanced and shipped here by thursday.
the tires are Nitto NT-SN1 performance snows which were the hit of the season with the VW R32 guys last winter, so i am comfortable with them.

hopefully the board is fixed so i can upload a pic...no dice, here's the link :drive:

Drifter Wheels

·
Registered
100 Posts
thanks to everyone who helped. as bad luck would have it, the first two wheel styles i was really interested in were sold out (and discontinued) so i had to start fresh. then i couldnt find a wheel with the right width and greater than 38 offset.

i ended up getting a set of MB wheels Drifters in Silver. They are a standard 5 spoke design, not too dissimilar from an RX8 wheel, just a bit less interesting. also they are a lb or 2 lighter than the stockers, which makes me happy.

i am quite sad that i couldnt get the gunmetal 5 spokes that were a bit more aggressive, but i am happy with what i got and the price was good too. i have always preferred the more simple designs, and given that they are winter wheels, i was ok going with a cheaper brand and a style that will be so much easier to clean!

all in all, 1000 mounted balanced and shipped here by thursday.
the tires are Nitto NT-SN1 performance snows which were the hit of the season with the VW R32 guys last winter, so i am comfortable with them.

hopefully the board is fixed so i can upload a pic...no dice, here's the link :drive:

Drifter Wheels
[/b]

How much do the stock wheels weigh in at? and what about the tires?

By the way, sweet rims, I really like the black ones though.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much do the stock wheels weigh in at? and what about the tires?
By the way, sweet rims, I really like the black ones though.
[/b]
stockers are 23.4 by all popular accounts. tires im not quite sure, but i think most people have weighed the tires and wheels at 45 lbs per corner, so, subtract, lol.

i like the black ones too, too bad they wouldnt look so hot on velocity red. otherwise id be all over them like stickers on a civic

·
Registered
25 Posts
You're doing the same thing as I (just not the same wheels). I got my wheels ordered 18x7.5 48mm and now I'm trying to find a good snow shoe for it. I was looking at the same Nitto's too, but I was wondering if there was another size that would fit the wheels so I don't lose that 2%.

Just want to make sure I'm picking the right size and I don't need to worry about rubbing (fenders aren't rolled).

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the more i look at the rims i bought, the more i like them...especially the center caps.

the black rims are really popping off the screen at me, i hope someone here with a proper color for black rims gets them! for 142 theyre really a nice bargain.

my rims will be here in a couple days, ill jack the car up and put one on so you guys can see a pic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
the more i look at the rims i bought, the more i like them...especially the center caps.

the black rims are really popping off the screen at me, i hope someone here with a proper color for black rims gets them! for 142 theyre really a nice bargain.

my rims will be here in a couple days, ill jack the car up and put one on so you guys can see a pic.
[/b]

Maybe I'll get them. I have Titanium Grey Metallic. I think they would go well on it.. I get tired of stock rims getting tons of break dust all over the place. But i may wait till thread wear is getting low before i get rims and just get tires with em.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
got the wheels in the mail and weighed them yesterday. 44.5 lbs per corner. so, i'll be saving 2 lbs of unsprung weight. probably wont be noticeable at all, but it's nice to know that i wont be any worse off than the stockers (save for tread block squirm).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts