Mazda 6 Forums banner

Button on door handle stopped working

25K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  Joey 06 SPEED6 
#1 ·
Vehicle is two and half months old and the button on drivers side door handle stopped working to lock and unlock the door. The other buttons on passenger and trunk work fine. Anyone else have this happen to them?

#2 ·
Humm I was about to say replace remote battery... but if the other 2 buttons are working fine... Warranty time 4 u!

Don't think this is mazdaspeed6 shitty car problem.... MY GF just got new jetta.. 2007 and rear defroster was broken...

My friends BRAND new Evo9.... had a cracked lower bumper blinker or somethin like that...

Shit happens with all sorts of cars... Granted a better inspection and such would help... But with so many rollin off the lots... its hard to keep up.. and check every little thing... And sounds like it worked at one time... so not like they can "test" for defective hardware.. if its working =)

#4 ·
Raining in Kansas drivers door button not working again, have had the trunk button not work for days.
When they dry out they work again. Have not taken it in because with my luck by the time I get to the dealer they will be working again. "No problem found" would be the response of my dealer. You think they could hose water and wait to see if it happens.
Has anyone else had problems with door or trunk switches (buttons)?

#5 ·
Yes, moisture does get under the button. Don't worry...yet. Mine had that happen once before, but all good since then. There are people that have had the proximity sensor go bad and had to have them replaced.

#7 ·
Once you get in the car, does the car start without taking the key out?

If the key starts by you just turning the knob, then you're in the clear
-I had to get my "Intelligence Keyless entry" system replaced. From the software to the hardware.

If its only the buttons outside the are not working then its the buttons, not the system/key fob

#8 ·
This has happen to me several times. No worries. Mostly happens when a heavy rain comes down. Dries out and starts working again, but if it doesn't, then take it to the dealer.
[/b]
No worries, huh? Well, I would think people would be pretty worried that they're locked out of their brand new car because it rained. Even if the passenger side button worked, it would be pretty embarrassing to tell your woman that you have to unlock the door from her side.

Yet another example of a poorly built car and another reason why they're not selling.

#9 ·
or why don't you use a key? and if you don't like the car sell it and get something else.

#10 ·
or why don't you use a key?[/b]
So, you buy a car with a keyless entry system but you need to carry a key around with you in case it rains? Do you work for Mazda?

and if you don't like the car sell it and get something else.
[/b]
Wow, I'm sure that never occurred to the original poster, awdterrible. It's a good thing we have people like you on this site to let people know that they have the option to sell their cars to get something else! What would we do without you?

#12 ·
Oh, I KNEW it!

Guys....the Speed 6 isn't selling because of the door button!!

It's an awful, awful car!

:nana:

I'd like to nominate Scott4083 for lead consumer reports tester...

:D

Reactions: brandenwebb70
#13 ·
So, you buy a car with a keyless entry system but you need to carry a key around with you in case it rains? Do you work for Mazda?
[/b]
You don't need to carry a key around with you. There is one in the damn fob.

#14 ·
Oh, I KNEW it!

Guys....the Speed 6 isn't selling because of the door button!!

It's an awful, awful car!

:nana:

I'd like to nominate Scott4083 for lead consumer reports tester...

:D
[/b]
Man, you're right (or the troll is right)! I was trying to put my finger on it...it's gotta be the door sensor. Oh wait, the sport doesn't have it...hahahaha, I am still surprised this guy spends as much time on here as he does.

#16 ·
You know...if for some reason the button stops working on the handle...I heard from a guy, who knows a guy, who knows this other guy, that there is a button on the FOB with a picture of an unlocked padlock. The same guy also told me if you push it once, the doors unlock!

Ok, you guys need to keep this quiet ok?

:laugh:

#17 ·
The buttons should work - rain or shine! I can't believe you guys are making excuses for Mazda - if mine didn't work, I'd have it in for service. I'm hoping this is isolated because this type of problem would be a PITA - I keep the fob in my wallet and I wouldn't want to have to haul it out because of a button that's supposed to unlock the door isn't working!
Not meaning to rant but the fact that we're even discussing "work arounds" on a new car DEFECT is just not right.

#18 ·
The buttons should work - rain or shine! I can't believe you guys are making excuses for Mazda - if mine didn't work, I'd have it in for service. I'm hoping this is isolated because this type of problem would be a PITA - I keep the fob in my wallet and I wouldn't want to have to haul it out because of a button that's supposed to unlock the door isn't working!
Not meaning to rant but the fact that we're even discussing "work arounds" on a new car DEFECT is just not right. [/b]
First off, it's not that we are making excuses. Some people on here make every little problem or quirk out to be this horrible flaw that should make the whole line be recalled. If it happened to me with any sort of regularity, I would probably take mine in to be serviced, and hopefully fixed. So far, I have not had this problem occur at all, even when it's rained heavy here. However, at the same time, this is a completely new car with lots of electronics, there will likely be some issues that come up for some people. If I was having problems with the button on my handle, it would bug me, but at the same time, I look at the car as a whole, and once I'm driving it through some corners on a deserted back road, somehow the button not working on the handle wouldn't be that huge of a deal...

It's all about perspective...

:)

#19 ·
No one said it was a huge deal and no one is making this out to be any more than a small problem. My point is, if it's broken, get it fixed. Don't let Mazda off the hook for defective parts / functions - if you do, you risk having the problem ignored by Mazda. Remember the guy who posted the fact that if you can't duplicate the probelm at the dealer, Mazda will send you on your way - there is nothing more frustrating that that!

If everyone having the problem also reports it, Mazda may actually do something about it. Whether it's a recall or TSB, at least they have accepted responsibility for the problem and are fixing it.

#20 ·
No one said it was a huge deal and no one is making this out to be any more than a small problem. My point is, if it's broken, get it fixed. Don't let Mazda off the hook for defective parts / functions - if you do, you risk having the problem ignored by Mazda. Remember the guy who posted the fact that if you can't duplicate the probelm at the dealer, Mazda will send you on your way - there is nothing more frustrating that that!

If everyone having the problem also reports it, Mazda may actually do something about it. Whether it's a recall or TSB, at least they have accepted responsibility for the problem and are fixing it. [/b]
Apparently you haven't read all of the posts in this thread. Check out Scott's post...

"No worries, huh? Well, I would think people would be pretty worried that they're locked out of their brand new car because it rained. Even if the passenger side button worked, it would be pretty embarrassing to tell your woman that you have to unlock the door from her side.

Yet another example of a poorly built car and another reason why they're not selling."

There are some here that every little problem anyone has they say it's a widespread problem and the car is junk...

#21 ·
You don't need to carry a key around with you. There is one in the damn fob.
[/b]
How would Scott 4083 know that? He's a troll, with not a shred of evidence that he drives, or has driven, a MS6. He's just a pot stirrer, so ignore him.

#22 ·
The buttons should work - rain or shine! I can't believe you guys are making excuses for Mazda
[/b]
Exactly right. You'll get called a troll because you point out a problem with the car. These dumbasses like "YoMama69" (<-- idiot name by the way) want to pretend that Mazda builds cars with absolutely no flaws.

Face it, a keyless entry system that fails when it rains is garbage.

#23 ·
Mine works rain or shine. It didn't work once when it was frozen.

Take it to the dealership to get it fixed. You might want to find out which is the source of the problem first though, the sensor, the button or the lock mechanism itself. Guys at dealership might not have a clue of what is going on since this feature is kinda new in Mazda vehicles.

#24 ·
Exactly right. You'll get called a troll because you point out a problem with the car. These dumbasses like "YoMama69" (<-- idiot name by the way) want to pretend that Mazda builds cars with absolutely no flaws.

[/b]
I'm sorry, I don't recall any automobile that is made to perfection. Oh, yeah, maybe because perfection is only an unattainable goal. I'm not going to bitch and complain about every little inconvenience in the world. In doing so, I stated the non-issue. It's a non-issue because it won't yield any kind of warranty repair. It's a known fact that electronics don't work properly under heavily moist conditions and they don't work at all when they are frozen. If it's not a known fact, i'm terribly sorry. Maybe, Scott, if you got off your mommy's tit and tried to learn something, you'd know these things. Stop being such a fucking Debbie Downer. Waaaa waaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

#25 ·

[/b]
Hey Scott...newsflash...you aren't called a troll because you "point out a problem with the car". :nana:

Oh wait...did you start this thread? Did you start a thread about the keyless entry system when you had a problem with your Speed 6? All I see in this thread is a couple of worthless posts by you...I wouldn't call that that "pointing out a problem"... Also, please point out, with your superior intelligence, who said Mazda builds cars that have "absolutely no flaws"?

:sarc:

#26 ·

[/b]
There is no such thing as a car without flaws, that's not even being questioned. I guess I don't understand your reasoning for even being here, if you are convinced the car is such a piece of crap, unless your idea of a fulfilling hobby is to bang the drum in forums like this one.

I somehow doubt the original design of the door lock switch included letting water disable it. If that's happening then it needs to be fixed, period. If it's a widespread problem then it should be the subject of a recall or TSB (one could consider a door lock system that malfunctions a safety hazard and as such it would qualify as a recall issue).

If you hate the car that much Scott, perhaps a different forum might be more relaxing to you, and less stressful to the people here who are probably sick and tired of you telling them time and time again what crappy cars they were stupid enough to buy. I'm sure they also appreciate you calling them dumb asses because you don't like the alias they've chosen to represent themselves here.

Just a thought.....................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.