Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 6s ~ 41K

Brought it in for a buzzing sound at low RPM on cold starts. Dealer calls back and says its b/c I'm 3 QUARTS low on oil.

WTF ?!?!

I always change myself with the factory Motorcraft 5/20. The last one was about 4K ago so I am certainly due. I checked the level a couple weeks back and it seemed fine, but its possible I was seeing things. If not I burned all that in two weeks

I haven't seen any smoke, no odor, no stains in driveway & dealer says underside is clean, scary.

Maybe the tech exaggerated on the 3 quarts. I would love to see that he overfilled it, but I asked the dealer to go ahead and do a full change so it's on the service history. I'll have to watch it super close after that.

Has anyone heard of consumption ANYTHING like this on the 6s?

Thanks in Advance.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
within 3000 miles after my last oil change, about 1 quart has been used up and disappeared while the rest remained in the vehicle. if my vehicle decides to us up all the oil and the engine blows, mazda will replace my engine... correct?

i was just curious, i check my engine religiously once a week as well as my exterior.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
no, if you run out of oil, it's on your dime

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Actually, if it's because of a failed part, I would fight with them to get it replaced under warranty. But then again, you should check your oil regularly too though. They might come back saying you didn't do enough to ensure that you had enough oil. I just regularly check mine. I went in for my oil/filter change the other day and voiced my concerns over the failing of PVC valves and the dealership cleaned it for me and said there was some slight build up of oil. Everything was no cost though.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Well usually once the pcv fails, you don't have enough time to get secondary symptoms. Once that valve fails, it could be a week or two and bam, no more oil in the engine.

Generally you'll get a hint or two of smoke sometimes, but most people would never notice that.

The only other sources of consumption would be an oil leak at the filter, pan, pan plug, rings, or head gasket.

·
Registered
102 Posts
With the whole PCV paranoia I decided to check my oil levels and it seems to be full since last change (1000 miles maybe?) anyway I am new to the brand in general since I have only owned the car for a month so I have a few questions. Hopefully someone will be able to advise. It's 05' S Wagon Manual by the way.

1) The engine compartment was cleaned before I bought the car so everything looks like new. So far no apparent signs or oil spillage anyware.
BUT just recently I was driving to a nearby pharmacy store...3 minutes away tops. Since I am little paranoid about starting the engine every 3 minutes, especially in the morning, I left it running. Returning from the store after maybe 3 minutes I have noticed a hint of smoke from exhaust pipes. Not a lot at all but it was there. Nothing unusual in the winter time but at 70 degrees with engine warm all almost warm it striked me as rather odd. Any suggestions here???

2) Acceleration under 2k or 2.5k is practically nonexistent. I know that engine mapping was updated for 06 to fight just that, still though it just doesn't feel right for six cilinder engine. Would cleaning a throttle body help at all...or maybe replacing to new? I found some interesting materials about someone from this forum offering factory throttle bodies "adjusted" for better air flow

3) the last but not least. When AC is on I can hear what could be described as siren noise. It gets more apparent at higher RPMs. Basically whenever I rave the engine I can hear this siren like noise spinning up.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was hearing that same rattling noise just as described and didn't think it was that big of a deal since it would go away once I was driving. But then the past week the engine just isn't sounding right, esp in lower gears, during acceleration. The oil light flashed when I was going over a bump. So this morning I was going to head to my parent's house 2 1/2 hours away so I checked the oil and it was lower than low. So the plan was to stop and fill up on gas and get some oil at the station. But the engine light came on before I could get to the station so I just returned home. I just put 1 quart in and the engine sounds better but the check engine light is still on. When I checked the oil again after running the car up to normal running temp and allowing it to cool, the dipstick looked clean. Prior it had slightly dirty oil at the tip below the "low" line.
Any idea if the engine light has to be turned off at a service place once it's on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
10 Participants
6chick
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing