Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a victim of the clutch issues and FOUR :irate: clutch replacements later - I sold the 626 back to the dealer and am waiting for the 06 GS Wagon GFX with MTX to arrive.

Too bad - apart from this one issue the rest of the car was solid. If I didnt need a wagon I probably would have gone with an aftermarket clutch.

With longevity in mind what do you do to burn in your new car? Not sure if you can burn a clutch in but I intend to burn in the engine and switch to synth on the 3rd oil change. I can't do seat covers so it will have to be scotchguard and no food in the car :nono: .

·
Registered
358 Posts
Do you mean "Break in"? If so That has been a highly debated topic here. look it up. :search:

Congrts on the new 6 and welcome to the club. I sugest you post in the newb section for as while.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am an advocate of 'breaking in' an engine - did this for all my cars and never had engine problems.
Really my question is you can't keep your car in a glass case so how do you stop it from ending up looking like a taxi cab?

(I have guested here for a while and am aware of the significance of posting to the big boys table - sorry - but figured this would be a more interesting discussion than "what rims should I get for my new ride")

·
Registered
117 Posts
Just being easy on the car for the first thousand miles is the best way to break in your clutch. The engine is debated and it just depends on what school you'd like to adhere to. A new clutch shouldn't be driven hard for about 1000 miles. IMO a new engine should be driven normally for the first 1000-2000 before really bringing the revs up to redline. Engine's today is pretty good and old school tricks don't hold up. The rings are already seated in the first few hundred miles. For the first initial miles don't maintain a constant speed like getting on the e-way and setting cruise. Driving around town is best. Rings need to be loaded to seat properly. The accelerate/coast back down idea is the best.

Tips from a respected builder.
http://www.bostonengine.com/articles/fresh.html

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I live in the 3 to 5 rpm range.

What would happen if I kept it under 3000k?
I've heard other people say you should run it hard now and again but why?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm not trying to fuel the break-in debate here, but if you knew the intricacies (sp?) of a combustion engine you'd know there is only one proper way to break it in. For clutches, I'd break those in the same way it's recommended to break in brakes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am an advocate of 'breaking in' an engine - did this for all my cars and never had engine problems.
Really my question is you can't keep your car in a glass case so how do you stop it from ending up looking like a taxi cab?

(I have guested here for a while and am aware of the significance of posting to the big boys table - sorry - but figured this would be a more interesting discussion than "what rims should I get for my new ride")
[/b]
I would suggest that you keep the revs down. I wouldn't creep around, but I wouldn't stomp it either. You may consider changing the oil at an early interval maybe 500 - 1000 miles, then do it again at 2500. Follow this up by changing your oil regularly at 5000 mile intervals. Some may disagree with this, but I really don't care.

As far as your "big boys table" comment... don't be too put off by some of the people on this forum who believe a high post count and early "joined" date equal knowledge and intelligence.

Oh... and you comment about "what rims should I get for my new ride" - classic.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
As for oil - you can switch to sunthetic with the first oil change. No reason not to do so and, if you are familiar with the benefits of synthetic oil, a lot of reasons to make the switch.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Of course there were those who believed slamming on the brakes at speeds in excess of 100 mph was good maintenance to clean them...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Of course there were those who believed slamming on the brakes at speeds in excess of 100 mph was good maintenance to clean them...
[/b]

:laugh: I think you and I are the only ones that would get that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
10 Participants
todras
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing