Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had 2 bumper episodes the first one I parked on a parking spot concrete curb and backed away and the bumper was pulled away from the car but I caught it before the whole thing came off. There was a gap of probably 1 inch around the far sides under the outer headlight area. The second problem was me bumping into a car causing the left side bumper to be pulled away from the same area around half an inch as well as breaking the chrome top of the grill off and loosening the grille. This all happening within 30 days. After the first incident, I had it reattached which looked ok although a piece of my bumper under bottom right of the grill was slightly movable. The photos I have attached is current status. I am in need of advice whether to buy a new bumper cover or stick with what I have and get the scuffs repaired and get the bumper tightened. Money is an issue I just don't want to spend too much to fix when the price is near a new bumper cover. The photo on top of my side mirror is a piece I found behind the bumper near the middle area. The bumper is flexible on the sides under the headlights on both sides, maybe an inch of movability up/downwards. You can see that the grille attachment is broken on the right side from the large piece and the piece of the bumper cover on the right side is even more flexible.

If more pictures are needed I can do that just ask.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the issues - that thing took quite the beating.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the replacement part (not sold separately) for the mounting points of the top of the bumper is going to cost you as much as a new bumper itself: https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=307653&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=14358&modelYear=2005&ukey_category=20229

It seems that entire assembly is sold as a single piece and has no individual part number - at least according to that site.

As for the grill itself - you can get a new one for about $30 on eBay that should bolt right in - but make sure you get the correct year - there's a slight variance between the 02-05 and 06-07.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear about the issues - that thing took quite the beating.

Unfortunately, it's looking like the replacement part (not sold separately) for the mounting points of the top of the bumper is going to cost you as much as a new bumper itself: https://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=307653&ukey_make=995&ukey_model=14358&modelYear=2005&ukey_category=20229

It seems that entire assembly is sold as a single piece and has no individual part number - at least according to that site.

As for the grill itself - you can get a new one for about $30 on eBay that should bolt right in - but make sure you get the correct year - there's a slight variance between the 02-05 and 06-07.
You can get that part on Rock Auto for FAR cheaper. It is the radiator core support. It is only $75 Canadian so it is even cheaper in US funds.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/mazda,2004,6,3.0l+v6,1433051,body,radiator+support,812

In fact, Rock Auto has everything you need to fix it. For some reason, body parts that are available for the first gen are cheap.

·
Super Moderator
16,742 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thank you for the suggestions I will look into this. I will be getting an in-person quote at a reputable body shop and I will mention this part to them. They already gave me a quote from photos I sent to them through their online form, they were quoting genuine mazda parts based on the prices, i.e. bumper 270 grille 72. I found an aftermarket bumper for 119 at ebay and like the above mentioned a grille for around 30 dollars. The bumper covers do look bare but all the plastic pieces that go in the openings on my current bumper seem to be in order and so they should be swappable if I went the new bumper cover route. The total of their quote is 860 incl. paint, body, labor and supplies which is way over what I wanted to spend on getting it attached and better looking. I would settle for better attachment and deal with the visuals at a later date.

Update: I plan to get the quote around the 1st of November.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
mazdatrail
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing