Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright i got my fog light kit in. im posting three pics to explain the wiring setup. i describe the wires in the pics themselves. the first shot is the two connectors that go right into the left and right fogs. im okay with that.
the second pic if the fuse with a red ground wire, and also the relay box. im okay with that. but...
the third pic shows a red wire im not sure about. the third pic shows the on/off switch connectior. it has a white wire that comes from the relay box into the switch connector(makes sense), a black wire with a ground terminal on it(makes sense), and the third red wire with no terminal on it at all. im not sure what to do with this wire... do i have to splice it into something for power? thats really my only thoughts at this time. if someone can help thatd be great. please give me any info.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
the red wire on the relay should go to 12v+, not ground.

the red wire in the third picture should either go to a switched 12v+ lead(ignition) or 12v+, you have output(white to relay), ground (black ), I myself would put it to a switched source, that way you're fogs can't be turned on without the car being on

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the red wire on the relay should go to 12v+, not ground.

the red wire in the third picture should either go to a switched 12v+ lead(ignition) or 12v+, you have output(white to relay), ground (black ), I myself would put it to a switched source, that way you're fogs can't be turned on without the car being on[/b]

there is no red wire on the relay. the red wire is on the fuse. should that go to a 12v+? it has a ground terminal on it already from the manufacturer so thats why i assumed it was a ground.

ok, so the red wire on the on/off switch has to go to a 12v+ (with or without a switch). thats what i wanted to double check. any ideas of the best place to go to?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I don't know anyone that would fuse a ground lead. Red in many cases in the auto world means positive current. I'll tell you which wire to tap into after I get home and check out a few locations. there's an ignition lead in the driver kickpanel coming from the fusebox, or you could use the ignition lead for the radio.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't know anyone that would fuse a ground lead. Red in many cases in the auto world means positive current. I'll tell you which wire to tap into after I get home and check out a few locations. there's an ignition lead in the driver kickpanel coming from the fusebox, or you could use the ignition lead for the radio.[/b]
"I don't know anyone that would fuse a ground lead."... haha yea that makes sense. im still new to wiring, i guess i didnt think of that.
the lead in the kickpanel in the fuse box sounds like something i would be happy to use. if you could give me a little more info when you get home, like you said, thatd be awesome. im workin from 2-9 tonight and my friggin job blocked this site, i guess i was on it too much so ill have to get your advice when i get home tonight.
thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
according to the autodimming mirror instructions I have

a: Locate fuse block behind kick panel to left of brake panel

b: Trace ORANGE wire from behind 5 amp fuse location 10, to area above fuse panel

c: Verify there is 12v to orange wire only when ignition is turned to "on" position

d: install wire tap or solder your wire to this wire

Caution : There is more than one orange wire in this area. Tapping the wrong wire can lead to vehicle concerns even if mirror functions properly

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok so now i got the red fuse wire and the red wire from the relay that both have to be connected to a 12v+. i think i got this down. now the only thing is, can i put both wires into the orange wire your talking about?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
ok so now i got the red fuse wire and the red wire from the relay that both have to be connected to a 12v+. i think i got this down. now the only thing is, can i put both wires into the orange wire your talking about?[/b]
red wire from the relay to 12v+

red wire from switch to orange wire

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
red wire from the relay to 12v+

red wire from switch to orange wire[/b]

ok. im sorry to repeat this over and over, but its just not hitting me yet. i got the orange wire deal, but where can i get the 12v+ for "red wire from the relay to 12v+" as you said above?
thanks for responding so fast too haha we might as well IM

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
wire with the fuse to the positive battery terminal. sorry, it looks red on my work screen and this screen[/b]
yea it is red, when i said the orange wire i meant the wire you told me to tap into in the kick panel fuse box...
well, i think i got it all now. thanks a lot dude. early next week sometime on my next day off im gonna wire it up. i just painted them silver to match the car. should look hot, ill post pics when its done

T

·
0 Posts
Not sure if this diagram will help. This is how I wired my fogs.

[/b]

Sorry for the semi-off topic reply. What's the easest or best way to remove the cover where the fog lights go? Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Sorry for the semi-off topic reply. What's the easest or best way to remove the cover where the fog lights go? Sorry for the newb questions. Thanks!![/b]
If you reach in from behind the bumper you'll find 4 tabs that hold the blank covers on. Use your fingers or screwdriver to push the tabs and at the same time use your other hand to push on the covers from the front. The covers/fog light housings get installed from behind the bumper not from the front. Hard to put into words, but you'll see how it works when you get under there.

Also, the Green/Black wire at the door kick panel is only hot when the ignition is on.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=66518&hl=

-Nik

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you reach in from behind the bumper you'll find 4 tabs that hold the blank covers on. Use your fingers or screwdriver to push the tabs and at the same time use your other hand to push on the covers from the front. The covers/fog light housings get installed from behind the bumper not from the front. Hard to put into words, but you'll see how it works when you get under there.

Also, the Green/Black wire at the door kick panel is only hot when the ignition is on.

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?show...c=66518&hl=

-Nik[/b]
thanks nik. yea i know how the grill comes out i replaced that already. ive had the bumper off quite a few times for different things. the wire advice helps tho. good lookin out my man

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
About this Discussion
14 Replies
5 Participants
romajr86
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing