Mazda 6 Forums banner

Bulge in sidewall

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  stephenmiata 
#1 ·
Hey all - I am n00b when it comes to tires. I noticed yesterday that I have a bulge developing out of the sidewall of my front passenger side tire. It's about the size of a quarter and protudes probably 1/4" or so. Wheels and tires are still stock. Anyone know what this is or if I should be worried? This could be the excuse I am looking for to upgrade my tires.

#3 ·
yup, low profile tires are more easily pinched when hitting a pothole, etc.

tire has 3 main layers .. inner soft rubber to hold pressure, cords for strength, and outer layer for tread and on the side to protect the cords.

Tire was likely pinched at impact, damaging at least the inner layer, and causing a small delamination between cords and sidewall outer layer, making a bulge.

If when tire is spun, there is no tread or sidewall wobble, just the bulge, then be careful not to hit a curb, and start tire shopping, making sure bulge doesn't get bigger. If there is a wobble suggesting cord damage, new tires in near future.

#4 ·
Like so?

[attachmentid=12407]

If so, time for new tires. That's a ticking time bomb.

Attachments

#5 ·
Like so?

[attachmentid=12407]

If so, time for new tires. That's a ticking time bomb.
[/b]
Yep - that's what I thought too. I couldn't imagine that it was a good thing. I'm not surprised seeing as how I've hit a couple of pretty bad potholes here - I always cry a little each time I do. Oh well, I've been eyeing the Proxes4 for a long time so now I just need to bite the bullet. Thanks for the comments guys.

Hey toyoguy - any recommendations on a place to get them installed here in Chicago?

#7 ·
Hey toyoguy - any recommendations on a place to get them installed here in Chicago?
[/b]
PM me or post your zip code and I'll give you a link to some dealers in the Chicago area.

#8 ·
Def. get em changed.. It is an accident waiting to happen.. We had one from hitting a witer pothole and just replacd the front tires with falken ziex(?) on the Ford Focus..$170 later for 2 new tires... damn winter.

#11 ·
Deflate, then inflate the tire...sometimes you might get lucky and it'll go away
[/b]
Or you could bury your head in the sand and you wouldn't have to look at it either! :sarc:

If the tire is damaged, deflating and reinflating is not going to "undo" the damage.

#13 ·
Or you could bury your head in the sand and you wouldn't have to look at it either! :sarc:

If the tire is damaged, deflating and reinflating is not going to "undo" the damage.
[/b]
hahahaha who said anything about undoing damage? ^_^ :nana:

he wanted to get rid of the bulge right?

#14 ·
hahahaha who said anything about undoing damage? ^_^ :nana:

he wanted to get rid of the bulge right?
[/b]
Sorry. My sense of humor seems to have escaped me lately! ;)

#15 ·
Avoided the site for the past couple of days b/c of the virus issue - but don't worry all, I'm getting bids on some Proxes4 as we speak! Hooray!

Update: OK so I just got a bid from the shop toyoguy recommended and want to know what you guys think:

Proxes4
225/45/R17 - $717 out the door
215/50/R17 - $664 out the door

I checked tireswap.com and could order 4 for just about $400. I just don't know of any shops that will mount them for me. Do you guys think I would save much money by having them mounted, balanced, etc... at a shop?

Also, anyone have a shop they could recommend that would do this for me in the Chicago area?

#16 ·
Hmm, I'm assuming 'out-the-door' means including tax and mounting/balancing and $717 sounds a little bit higher than I expected. I'm assuming around $120/tire and I've heard mounting is anywhere from $20-$25 per tire but hopefully somebody else will reply.

If you want to try something else, go to http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp and find a recommended TireRack installer. Call 'em up, say you found them via TireRack and see what they can do for you as far as mounting tires.

Hey Toyoguy, did Tirerack and/or DiscountTire drop Toyo tires? I thought I remembered one of those sites carrying Toyo Tires.

Good luck!

Proxes4
225/45/R17 - $717 out the door
215/50/R17 - $664 out the door

Also, anyone have a shop they could recommend that would do this for me in the Chicago area?
[/b]

#17 ·
Hey Toyoguy, did Tirerack and/or DiscountTire drop Toyo tires? I thought I remembered one of those sites carrying Toyo Tires.
[/b]
No. We've never been sold through either. We have been approached many times, however, our philosophy is to support the independent retailer, so no TireRack, Wal-Mart, Costco, etc.

#18 ·
Hmm, I'm assuming 'out-the-door' means including tax and mounting/balancing and $717 sounds a little bit higher than I expected. I'm assuming around $120/tire and I've heard mounting is anywhere from $20-$25 per tire but hopefully somebody else will reply.

If you want to try something else, go to http://www.tirerack.com/installer/index.jsp and find a recommended TireRack installer. Call 'em up, say you found them via TireRack and see what they can do for you as far as mounting tires.

Good luck!
[/b]
Yeah that price includes tax and mounting/balancing - I agree that it is high though.

Thanks for the link - I found a shop that is highly rated and will balance the tires for $20 each. Sounds like that is the best way to go. Thanks again!

#19 ·
IMO Sadly, yes to replace asap. Recommend all four or match the tire brand/model with the others in case you ever sell so they won't think it was an accident. It won't give you any warning so make sure the spare is inflated and your jack works. Rim will ruin if you drive very far on a flat tire that disintegrates which a blown sidewall may encourage. May want to stock some road hazard reflectors in case it happens at night and there isn't much room off the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.