Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here is the idea..

I am in the market for upgrades. Engine Mounts, Clutch, Turbo, ECU, Bolts, tires, you name it. We have a multitude of products that will become available within the next 6-8 months and I have 5k I am willing to "invest"

That said... My idea of an upgrade would be a complete Kit. Something that will account for 350-400 WHP (atp turbo estimation based off threads). I want something that will break all 4 tires loose.. M3 eater, STI/Evo "pooper on-er", whatever.
Do I need a clutch? Will I break X, Y, or Z? A lot of unknowns that some of you are willing to risk.

Given the limited knowledge we have gained about our cars breaking, lets put together a complete package. Mix and match manufactures, whatever you need to do. Make some assumptions about tunning but also identify what we need to keep our eye on.

The number 1 concept.. Focus on reliability and driveability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Buy a bigger turbo/intercooler and ECU. Get a boost controller and run like 18psi. You'll have no problems with Evos and STIs. :drive:

·
Registered
851 Posts
remember this saying

fast, cheap, reliable. you can only pick 2.

i don't think anything should be done in stages. it should be one mod at a time. test it out, see how it works, and see what it does to the car as far as power and a/f ratios. etc. before you slap on another mod.

·
Registered
849 Posts
remember this saying

fast, cheap, reliable. you can only pick 2.

i don't think anything should be done in stages. it should be one mod at a time. test it out, see how it works, and see what it does to the car as far as power and a/f ratios. etc. before you slap on another mod.
[/b]
I agree. I say a bigger turbo/intercooler and ECU because you really should not have 1 without the other.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What about the drivetrain? Will the car twist itself in half? How about the awd thingamagig? Can it handle this type of power...

These are all the pieces I want to identify...

Also,
I dont really agree with the piecemeal approach. If someone can place together a complete package.. Do it... Let the others place 1 at a time.

I want to drop it off at a shop and pick up a monster.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Also,
I dont really agree with the piecemeal approach. If someone can place together a complete package.. Do it... Let the others place 1 at a time.

I want to drop it off at a shop and pick up a monster.
[/b]

yeah and it goes from carpet queen to dirt bitch in one giant leap...and what happens....shit will break

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah and it goes from carpet queen to dirt bitch in one giant leap...and what happens....shit will break
[/b]

What about other companies that offer performance packages.. Are they all shit?

·
Registered
851 Posts
i never said they were shit. read it again. i said shit will break

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i never said they were shit. read it again. i said shit will break
[/b]
Shit sorry man.. .

Point is, yes, it will break. But, what can we do to prevent this? How can we reinforce?

Audi, VW, and others have tons of reliable options. Why cant we?

·
Registered
820 Posts
once it is a tried and true combo it can safely become a "stage" look at any established aftermarket for a car. They always have stages. but only once their proven. We are totally in the beginning research and development stages. It will be a year or two before everything gets sorted out. Look how long it took for the Supra to become a tuner monster. It took like 4 or 5 years then all of a sudden people went from 400hp to 1000hp.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
once it is a tried and true combo it can safely become a "stage" look at any established aftermarket for a car. They always have stages. but only once their proven. We are totally in the beginning research and development stages. It will be a year or two before everything gets sorted out. Look how long it took for the Supra to become a tuner monster. It took like 4 or 5 years then all of a sudden people went from 400hp to 1000hp.
[/b]
That's what I'm talking about!!!

·
Registered
851 Posts
yeah and 400hp to 1000hp still only run 12 sec timeslips

fgraziano:My thoughts exactly. the ms6 is still very green in the market.

aftermarket for a new car doesn't happen over night

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
[/b]
I agree... time will always tell.

Lets make some assumptions and look at what we already know will break....

List them out, and the alternative to reinforce.

Basically I am lookign for a way to mitigate the risk with the unknows. I would hate to spend the money and realize I could have prevented something with a simple upgrade.

·
Registered
851 Posts
i think the drivetrain and ecu will be the weakest link. i don't think either will know what to do with 100 to 200 extra horsepower

·
Registered
820 Posts
if cobb can open up the ecu like they did for the subaru then that will be the STRONGEST part of the entire system. So far we know the rear end is a point of failure. The turbo must be replaced for anything over 300hp it seems as well. here's a pretty safe system:

FMIC/TMIC
Upgraded BOV, either Greddy/HKS/DSM
Intake (CAI OR SRI)
3" Downpipe
3" Exhaust
Wishbone motormount
Turbo (ATP 3071?)
ECU (Cobb) or Piggyback (CPE/TURBOXS)

This should be about 400hp for about $4000 very reasonable if you ask me.

Now, that doesn't include the solution for the rearend. Depending on how drastic the upgrades need to be that could be another 200-1000 bucks.

If the clutch proves to be weak, add another $400 probably

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Well, considering the rear-end failures are primarily due to the differential mounts, that fix shouldn't be too bad. There is a company in the works for this as we speak, but it's still about 6-8 weeks out for the prototype. I will deffinately be scooping that up when it's available.

·
Registered
851 Posts
yeah but how far off are we before something gets released that can control fuel etc. that will be reliable and user friendly?

what i really want though is somekind of diff controller like hks has for the skylines and like what the sti has built in factory

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
There are rumors that the Cobb unit will be able to control all of that.

·
Registered
851 Posts
There are rumors that the Cobb unit will be able to control all of that.
[/b]

yeah but there are also rumors that mazdaspeed is releasing titanium pistons for the rx-8 :drool:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts