Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I've own my 6i for almost 2 months now and I have noticed a few things that I think is of poor workmanship. Can you guys all let me know if it's just my car or mazdas in general.
1st off is the glove compartment. Mine has gap on 1 side of it when close. The lid doesn't sit straight and flush with the dashboard.
The plastic lining cover that goes underneath the main dashboard for the instrument gauges has huge gaps in them on one side as well.
Rubber lining that traces the back quarter window looks like it's been cut and glued on by a 5 yr old kid.
The underlining on the trunk lid I think is missing a hold/screw all together. It has one to the left of the trunk lock but not on the right side.
Sterring wheel has tiny "rough/pointy" edes on the wraparound. There are about 3 spots on the wheel that poke into my fingers/palm when I'm making a turn etc.

These are just a few annoying things I've found in my car. Nuttin major obviously but I am somewhat dissapointed with the quality. Other than that I love this car and I think it drives really great. Hopefully it is build to last like my last car.

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
in my opinion, the build quality of the Mazda6 dash is about as good as it can get in the automotive world. so if you see issues, please take it to a dealership asap.

The lightweight plastic door panels are a different thing however.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Yeah I'd have to say you're in the minority. My car's interior has been pretty solid and I'm hitting 62k miles. I've also disassembled part of the dash and removed the glove box several times and they all lined up perfectly on assembly. The only issues I've had were the infamous loose fuse box cover and a small plastic cover under the seat that pops off every now and then. Mine is an '03 so these issues should' ve been fixed in the newer models. I'd take the car in and have the dealer look it over.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have an 06 6iSport and have none of those problems. I have been extremely impressed with the build quality. No squeaks or rattles. Nada.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Ok, I've own my 6i for almost 2 months now and I have noticed a few things that I think is of poor workmanship. Can you guys all let me know if it's just my car or mazdas in general.
1st off is the glove compartment. Mine has gap on 1 side of it when close. The lid doesn't sit straight and flush with the dashboard.
The plastic lining cover that goes underneath the main dashboard for the instrument gauges has huge gaps in them on one side as well.
Rubber lining that traces the back quarter window looks like it's been cut and glued on by a 5 yr old kid.
The underlining on the trunk lid I think is missing a hold/screw all together. It has one to the left of the trunk lock but not on the right side.
Sterring wheel has tiny "rough/pointy" edes on the wraparound. There are about 3 spots on the wheel that poke into my fingers/palm when I'm making a turn etc.

These are just a few annoying things I've found in my car. Nuttin major obviously but I am somewhat dissapointed with the quality. Other than that I love this car and I think it drives really great. Hopefully it is build to last like my last car.
[/b]

What year is your Mazda6? I have a 2003 Mazda6 and I found two problems that appear to be poor workmanship, one is on driver side's lower dashboard where it meets the left side of the car has like half inch gap, and one of the corners on the center console (parking brake and cup holder piece) keeps on poping up and I have to push it back down. Other than that it's fine. Usually first year redesign have all those flaws but later on models should be fine, I took a peek at a 2006 Mazda6 in the showroom while waiting for service and I concluded the build quality improved a lot.

·
Registered
510 Posts
My 2006 6i sedan is tight like a tiger. it makes absolutely no rattles. The doors are sealed really tight and the dash is the same. Everything seems to be made of good quality. My only complaint was the head unit not being easily replaced.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My '04 is OK except for a couple of small things like the fuse cover and a floormat the original owner wore a hole in (after 16K). It does feel kind of cheap as far as materials, but from the looks of the '06s I saw at the dealer, there've been some improvements. The new upholstery does wonders.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I would say the build quality is very good, with everything aligned well and no rattles (2004, 40,000 miles), but a few extra dollars would have achieved excellence in better attachments for fuse box cover and door light lenses, and more scratch resistant finishes.

More durable floor mats would be nice too...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have 05 M6s and so far i just had bad seat belt mount that was ratteling like mofo. Dealer replaced it and it's fine since then.
No other problems... Knock on wood.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Seems like I am in the minority then :(... My car is a brand new 2006 6i. Again all these "issues" are merely cosmetic and doesn't affect drivability etc so I am not too worried about it.
I will keep telling myself it's really a Ford underneath and not a Lexus so it's all good. LOL

E

·
0 Posts
I've owned a 2006 6i for two months and I'm pleased with the build quality. Everything appears to be solid on my car. No complaints so far.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The build quality of my 04 6s is far better than any GM or Ford product that I've owned in the past. Not to mention that the handles like a pricier import. I can't speak for Honda or Toyota because I've never owned one. I don't think that GM would ever get my business back even though I found their service to be top notch, my Alero was crap.

·
Registered
635 Posts
The build quality on my 2003 M6 is good ... I bought it used @80,000kms !! but so far I havent had a problem with the interiors ... just a small rattle in the passenger A-pillar sometimes ...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
16 Participants
sshe11
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing