Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, how are u?

i've been looking around the forum, and i have noticed that there are a lot of Americans complainin about the build quality of their cars. Theres stories about engine failures, interior bits breaking .etc .etc

since Australian 6s are all Japanese imports, are they far better, in terms of build quality and finishing, than the American ones?

has anybody had any 'real' issues with their 6s?

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reading Topic: Build quality issues

I have no real complaints with my car. My biggest problem with the car is that the 6 stacker doesn't do a real full random, it only randoms one disc at a time... which I guess isn't a real complaint at all.

Most of the complaints from the Americans seemed to be rather trivial things like trim breaking and stuff that is easily fixable, and probably more likely just a bad part from the supplier.

Actually I really love my car alot. But don't buy one, I don't want everyone to get one. I kinda like standing out a bit.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

sorry there, i've alrady brought one, its arriving this week

·
Registered
131 Posts

Mine arriving this week too! It's also a Silver Contrail, Solarbear!!
And I just found someone in the neighbourhood has the same colour.... It's always dirty, looks kinda neglected....dang!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Had our M6 Silver Contrail Sedan for over a month now (3500Km's) and no problems whatsoever. Could only complain about the bonnet protector as it doesn't seem to fit correctly and touches the grill slightly. Getting an average of 8.6 L/100 km, which I am rather happy with.

·
Registered
231 Posts

I'm getting pretty good gas milage. I just worked out my last trip and got 7.6l/100km. I decided to give Optimax a try since it was only a touch more and got a big improvement (last time with Vortex it was 8.4). Both times were about 95% highway km. I'm pretty pedtantic about counting my milage.

Yes I love the Silver Contrail too. Originally, I wanted Titanium but talked myself out of it, because it would show the dirt more and I don''t have a garage or car port. Instead, I keep it covered for most of the week and only use it on the weekend.

I think they are beautiful cars and still draw looks. Went all the way to Canberra and only saw 1 other, a white one.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Build quality issues'

Originally posted by alexchu

Optimax should give about 10% more mileage.[/b]
It does and where I filled up it was the same price, since the BP down the street's normal unleaded was more than the Shell.

·
Registered
28 Posts

So are some of you guys running normal unleaded ??? I was under the impression that we must run Premium (ie. Optimax, Synegy 8000 etc...) all the time.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Originally posted by binksj

So are some of you guys running normal unleaded ???  I was under the impression that we must run Premium (ie. Optimax, Synegy 8000 etc...) all the time.  [/b]
No according to the Dealer & Pamphlets / Car Booklets, you must use Premium Unleaded fuel with an Octane rating of 95 (RON) or more...

Using normal unleaded (91 RON) can cause the engine to "ping" & Power Loss problems, So I certainly would only use Premium Unleaded....

BTW : No build quality issues with my 6, except for replacing Drivers Window electric motor under normal warranty situation...

No rattles or squeaks to report for my Hatch...Engine Performance/Transmission fine...

·
Registered
231 Posts

I'm using premium. Optimax if the price is similar. I didn't get as good a gas milage out of the Caltex Vortex, but that is expected because the Optimax is 98 RON compared to 95 RON... and is supposed to be a dense fuel, whatever that means.

The rumour is that the car runs just fine on regular, that the computer adjusts but it loses some gas milage and horsepower. I'm a bit afraid to try it. I even carry around a little bottle of the additive in case I get stuck.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Regardless of rumours I would under no circumstances use regular. The knock sensors can detect premature detonation only after it occurs, and then the ECU will adjust. I would rather avoid the problem altogether.

Also remember that the ECU will learn and remember. So if you run a tank of regular and knocking occurs, it will take the running of a few premium tank fulls through for it return to its optimal settings. (or you can reset the ECU - but I have not found how to do this yet).

·
Registered
119 Posts

Had my six for about 6000 kms now and it is still as tight as a goldfishs' ring..... not that I'd know.

It does not sqeak, rattle or leak and the crappy fitted drivers mat is the only known defect (warranty job). Very happy so far.

Whats the overseas RON as oz fuel is notoriously crap, even the premium grades?

·
Registered
322 Posts

My dealer told me I could fill up with standard unleaded, but I listened to the thing on the fuel cap which said only fill up with 95RON or better. I use BP Ultimate (98) unless I can't find it in which case I just use the standard premium unleaded. I do all my driving in the melbourne metro area and get 11l/100kms...

·
Registered
28 Posts

Rainchild,
Is that 11 l/100 kms on 95 RON or 98 ? I'm getting 8.6 L/100 km avg. on optimax with 60/40 city/hwy driving. Interested in what other people are getting on BP Ultimate, or others....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Build quality issues

Its gotta be alot of city driving. I'm getting around 7.5 or so, 95% highway. In more balanced driving I got 8.6 like you.

I've tried Vortex and PULP. Optimax seems to be the best.

·
Registered
124 Posts

The only issue with the wagon that my wife keeps nagging me about is the cargo blind/cargo net keeps squeaking. The dealer says we are not the only ones to mention this but no solution yet. I'm thinking some sort of self adhesive felt to avoid the plastic on plastic that is the case at the moment.
The hatch is having its first service on Saturday, and I have no issues to raise.
Generally, I wish Mazda was like Toyota and supplied a bottle of touch-up with the cars. When I mentioned it to the dealer (hoping to get freebies); I was told that Mazda stopped doing it a couple of years ago because some owners complained that the paint dried out - of couse they were the drivers that left the bottle in the glovebox instead of putting it on the shelf in the garage.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: Build quality issues

touch up paint goes off... that's why few Mazda dealers even have it in stock

·
Registered
922 Posts

Originally posted by solarbear

touch up paint goes off... that's why few Mazda dealers even have it in stock[/b]
yeah I agree, and it usally looks really crap too:hoho

1 - 20 of 31 Posts