Mazda 6 Forums banner

bsm system problematic in cold weather

877 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  tsawyer1001 
#1 ·
I purchased a used 2015 mazda6 in 2020. last year I noticed the bsm system blinking. the 1st time I had to even look up what it meant. after that point, I started noticing on days it was very cold (usually around 30 degrees or lower) the system would be a dice roll on if it would work. usually after it warms up (weather or driving long enough) the system seems to come back online. to the best of my knowledge, the car has never been in an accident. of course this is not to say it's never been hit without my knowledge in a parking lot. I'd rather not go to a dealership to listen to all the upsales of what my car needs so I'm looking for some information where I should guide my mechanic to look. I've seen some references on checking the wiring, sensors being located in the rear bumper but is there anything else that may be the root cause?

#2 ·
I've honestly never heard of this one before. My BSM works perfectly every time and my car has seen temps as low as -35F

You may have to have a stealership reset the BSM system and/or verify the sensors are working happily.

#3 ·
thanx for the responses on all 3 items. not that surprised on the other 2, was hoping that wasn't the answer. and yet, not surprised. this one, only started happening last year. I'll see if my mechanic knows anything about the process, the last resort is official mazda (def will have to use the stealership name for things in the future). there is one about 7 miles from me but same owner as the other one 30 miles from the house. mazda made him a deal and no other competition unless I drive further out. the issue is when I was on the market I went to the lot and after 20 mins of no one coming out of the building, I left. I wasn't even sure if the lot was still in business. when was the last time you went on a car lot and weren't assulted within 3 mins of hitting the ground? not major but of course I'd want to the local place for my convenience if forced to pick. never look forward to things I know will only piss me off without really solving the problem......

#4 ·
Mine started blinking the other day. It was very cold but it continues to blink even after it warmed up so 🤷‍♂️. I cleaned the bumper per owners’ manual recommendation…no change. I looked to see if there was a specific fuse for the BMS but it appears there is not. I detest dealerships but I’m thinking I’m out of options.

#5 ·
how about this: first one who has their car looked out by someone (stealership/mechanic) reports back any information. I just haven't had the time to go by my mechanic's yet. he's been working on my cars for the last 30+ years so he'll give me an honest opinion. the more I think about things as I type this, may have to give him a call if this only happens in cold weather. may be spring before I'm due for any maintenance on the things

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.