Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I made a sharp right hand turn up a steep and slippery hill. My front right wheel began to spin because I had my DSC turned off. I had my stereo on and didn’t hear the engine but I felt the loss of power so I looked down and saw my tach climbing towards 6k. I shifted quickly into second and when I let the clutch out I heard this loud clunk from the engine compartment. I let off the gas and coasted to the next side street where I turned off and as I rolled I heard it... clicking and clanking from under my rear seat.

I drove it to the dealer and dropped it off for inspection; today I got the call and heard the news. It won’t be covered under warranty. The quote was over $1500. The reason given was because there were two parts broken witch "screams abuse" as the shop manager stated.

More on this later...

·
Registered
875 Posts
On Saturday I made a sharp right hand turn up a steep and slippery hill. My front right wheel began to spin because I had my DSC turned off. I had my stereo on and didn’t hear the engine but I felt the loss of power so I looked down and saw my tach climbing towards 6k. I shifted quickly into second and when I let the clutch out I heard this loud clunk from the engine compartment. I let off the gas and coasted to the next side street where I turned off and as I rolled I heard it... clicking and clanking from under my rear seat.

I drove it to the dealer and dropped it off for inspection; today I got the call and heard the news. It won’t be covered under warranty. The quote was over $1500. The reason given was because there were two parts broken witch "screams abuse" as the shop manager stated.

More on this later...
[/b]

They should have to cover it....if you are under 50K.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Get a lawyer.

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Thats fucked up. I would fight that.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
get a hold of the MNA regional service rep. the dealer cannot just deny a claim like that. let corporate tell you what they will/won't do.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Take it to another dealer. It's not the first case the rear axel has broke on the MS6.

·
Registered
967 Posts
That's some straight up b.s. right there! Obvious abuse puhleez! Like others have said, it's not like yours is the first time the rear has broken. Hopefully you'll get it taken care of.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
It may not be deliberate abuse, but if you popped the clutch out while the car was moving slowly and the engine was over 6000rpm... that's certainly abuse on the drivetrain. Since the car was moving slowly, what you did was even worse than if you had redlined first gear, then shifted to second.

I would have expected Mazda to cover this, but I certainly think it's gray-area.

Easy does it on that clutch!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
well its happend to be twice, 1st time covered, 2nd time payed $1,200 marked abuse becaue there was a wear on the outside of my front tires (low tire pressure).... i got the regional rep, and that dick said the same exact thing.... so unless you have time or you get LUCKY with the regional rep, sorry to say man..but you're fucked.....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I just got mine replaced, let me know if you want me to fax you the paperwork on what they did and what caused it. In case the same thing happened to you.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Sorry to hear it but you're probably going to be stuck paying for it. They can tell when the car has been abused and they're under no obligation to make those repairs no matter how much you bitch and moan. I hope you saved up a lot of money cutting lawns this summer. Good luck!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Sorry to hear it but you're probably going to be stuck paying for it. They can tell when the car has been abused and they're under no obligation to make those repairs no matter how much you bitch and moan. I hope you saved up a lot of money cutting lawns this summer. Good luck!
[/b]
Do you know this guy? If not, lay off on the inconsiderate remarks. Further, dealers cannot automatically and absolutely determine a part failure is due to abuse (as much as you'd like to think they can).

·
Registered
364 Posts
what a shitty thing to have happen.

what mount and where on that mount is it breaking?

anyone have a picture?

I spent enough time under the car this weekend to know them all...but I want to know which one it is.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I'm tired about hearing about abuse causing these parts to fail; this is complete BS. If Mazda wants to publish all these numbers on this car and call it a sports car, they shouldn't piss and moan when people see if the car can do what they advertise. If you’re going to advertise that a car can go 0-60 in however many seconds, or brake from 80mph in so many feet; they should know that people have every right to test their numbers. Just because they put inferior parts on an untested drive train doesn’t give them the right to say someone is abusing their car. I paid $30k for a car, I am not going to go out an intentionally damage it in any way; nor do I think that anyone else on this website would either. However, this car was built to go fast and we have every right to push it to a reasonable limit. I know that many people on this site are going to say it was abuse, but I call it driving. Abuse is when you slap on a bunch of untested aftermarket parts to make the car perform at a higher level than it was built for (ie, nitrous, bigger turbo).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread is the fact (proven by everyone else who had this problem) that the rear axle breaks DUE to the diff mount/bolts malfunctioning.
[/b]
does anyone have photos of where the breakage is occuring? i would really like know.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Is there anything preventive that can be done? I'd like to see pics as well. I'm no stranger to hard launches and I ain't stopping :D

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Is there anything preventive that can be done? I'd like to see pics as well. I'm no stranger to hard launches and I ain't stopping :D
[/b]
You're one of the first individual on the board with the MS6 and you haven't had much issue with the car. Maybe you just have the lukcy problem free car?

·
Registered
940 Posts
well its happend to be twice, 1st time covered, 2nd time payed $1,200 marked abuse becaue there was a wear on the outside of my front tires (low tire pressure).... i got the regional rep, and that dick said the same exact thing.... so unless you have time or you get LUCKY with the regional rep, sorry to say man..but you're fucked.....
[/b]
Just out of curiousity, about how old are you? I am 38 and the dealer has been ok so far - I am wondering if the dealers are pulling the "abuse/racing" card on people in their 20s because they think they can get away with it or if I have just gotten a decent dealer.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The more I think about this, the more things just don’t add up. This is a performance vehicle. It should be able to handle just about anything it encounters on the street even under elevated driving conditions save racing/launching or driving it in an area unsuitable for a car.

This will be disputed.

I was accelerating quickly, but there was no reason for an axle to snap unless the mount gave out and caused it. The only logical time for an axle to snap is if a wheel is stuck or you are putting down more power than the axle was designed to handle.

Does anyone know the proper channels to go through? I like the dealership and want to continue getting my service performed there.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts